Christian Weddings

cord of three strands

Is anybody doing a cord of three strands at their ceremony? I was originally leaning towards doing this instead of a unity candle or sand etc, but just wanted to get input from this board. What are you all doing? If you are doing 3 stranded cord, where did you get yours from?

Thanks! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cord of three strands

• fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We're doing it!  I ordered ours from www.godsknot.com and it came pretty quickly.  I think I could have made it myself, but I prefered just having it done instead of adding something else to the DIY list.  I love the symbolism of the cords and it represents so much more to us than a candle or sand.  We're having "Love Never Fails" by Brandon Heath played while we braid the cord.
  • edited December 2011
    Ecc. 4:12 was actually our wedding verse.  We did the cords at our wedding in October, but a little differently than the website one.  I actually order three cords online (thinner and longer than the ones that come on the godsknot site) that were in the colors of our wedding (eggplant purple, celadon green, and ivory).  I braided them together before the wedding day then had the officiant (who was my uncle) read Ecc. 4:9-12 and talk about the symbolism of the three-strand cord.  After that, he, DH's uncle, and our pastor wrapped the cord around our waists and then said a prayer over us.  I really liked doing it this way because we weren't having any extra music during our ceremony and I didn't feel like braiding it while I was standing up in front of everyone (personal preference because we were trying to keep the ceremony streamlined).
    "You're the L and the V, I'm the O and the E...Am I speaking clearly?"
  • edited December 2011
    P.S. I ordered our cords from www.trimsplus.com and used the 3/8" twisted cord sold by the yard.  (The direct link to that is http://trimsplus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=11400&Category_Code=cording.)

Happy hunting!  :-)
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We planned on it but I asked my mom to put some final touches on the cords the night before the wedding (it was homemade) and I forgot all about it.  Mom had placed it on the piano in the chapel but I didn't know that.  My sister got up to read the scripture (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12) and talk for a few minutes about the symbolism of the cord and what it meant for us to have Christ as head of our home and I looked at her with a look of terror because I didn't have the cord.  So she improvised and we didn't braid it.  When we got home from the HM, DH and I braided it.  So unfortunately I can't offer any advice about using the cord ceremony!
  • Tauner23Tauner23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    very helpful! thank you all so much! i will definitely check out both of the websites mentioned. i agree that it is much more meaningful than the other options. 

don't know what i would do without the knot.. and this board especially! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm curious, where does the cord of 3 strands tradition come from?  I am southern baptist but many extended family members did pretty non-religious ceremonies recently, and I don't recall seeing the cord ceremony done.  We had thought of unity candle or sand pouring, but we just weren't sure.  FI saw a sand-pouring ceremony and liked it and I turned him down right away (feeling bad about that), so I guess I just don't know where the traditions come from!!! Any answers or internet links for the answers would be appreciated too.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:c3871975-2490-479f-9b76-c1d834b04e7b">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious, where does the cord of 3 strands tradition come from?  I am southern baptist but many extended family members did pretty non-religious ceremonies recently, and I don't recall seeing the cord ceremony done.  We had thought of unity candle or sand pouring, but we just weren't sure.  FI saw a sand-pouring ceremony and liked it and I turned him down right away (feeling bad about that), so I guess I just don't know where the traditions come from!!! Any answers or internet links for the answers would be appreciated too.  
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>if you go to<a href="http://www.godsknot.com" target="_blank"> www.godsknot.com</a> it tells about it - basically, there's 3 cords, one represents the Bride, one represents the Groom, and one represents God. During the ceremony, the groom holds one end of them while the bride braids them together. This is representative of your new lives tied together with Christ.  I'm thinking about doing this - or perhaps a unity cross.

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Yes we are. FI and I were originally going to do the sand, but he stumbled upon godsknot.com and he fell in love with the idea and insisted on having it as a part of our ceremony. I highly recommend checking out that website, it was fantastic.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for the website references!  I will email it to FI to see what he thinks.  He wanted something kind of unique, and this would be something we could keep for a long time. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a big fan of the symbolism tied to the 3-cord strand. I didn't however like the way it was done in the ceremony I saw it it. The groom just held all three cords while the brider braided them. I feel like there needed to be something other than just braiding..
    imageAnniversary
  • Tauner23Tauner23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:d6f2a95f-5107-4e73-bfa0-7852ce82f13d">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a big fan of the symbolism tied to the 3-cord strand. I didn't however like the way it was done in the ceremony I saw it it. The groom just held all three cords while the brider braided them. I feel like there needed to be something other than just braiding..
    Posted by drama1308[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I love the meaning behind it and we will probably end up doing it in the ceremony. I just wish that there was a way to have FI more involved somehow instead of him just holding the end while i braid it.

Anybody have suggestions on that or is that the only way to do it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a wedding where it was done, but for ours, my pastor is reading the description and explaining what the cords represent.  FI will hold the ring while I braid.  FI is totally fine with that because he doesn't know how to braid and it would probably go smoother than us trying to figure out how to braid it together. :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:71ce23d4-69e7-4aa2-a529-0bb3a8b32fcf">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, thanks for the website references!  I will email it to FI to see what he thinks.  He wanted something kind of unique, and this would be something we could keep for a long time. 
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

I really wanted something unique too, and that verse had meant a lot to me for quite a few years (beyond the whole husband/wife/Christ thing), so doing the cord was a very good fit.  I also like that we didn't have to worry about fire (candles) and I figured it would be easier to keep than sand in glass.  My SIL got us a shadowbox frame, so I'm probably going to do something with that to store and display at least part of the cord.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:8d05be70-4f39-4cbf-b0e5-c58a166f62ae">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: cord of three strands : I totally agree. I love the meaning behind it and we will probably end up doing it in the ceremony. I just wish that there was a way to have FI more involved somehow instead of him just holding the end while i braid it. Anybody have suggestions on that or is that the only way to do it?
    Posted by Tauner23[/QUOTE]

the officiant could hold one end while you two braid it together.  But does he know how to braid? I think it's designs to go quicker so only the bride braids it. Most men can't braid - and if they do know how, they can't do it as quickly.
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of this but have never been to a wedding where it was done. The meaning is beautiful.
  • ATandADATandAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey everyone, I'm Alyssa I'm new to this board, but from the looks of it, it will become my new home on the knot haha.. Anyways, I stumbled across the godsknot website and loved what it symbolizes. FI also likes the idea, so I think we'll do it. I've never seen it done before, but I just think it's nice because it's different, and hopefully it will make people think about the symbolism more, as opposed to the sand or candle that my guests will have seen at most weddings in the past. I also love how it's something we can keep after the wedding. jonigringa, I love the shadow box idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    This is amazing! I had kind of heard of this before but now having actually seen it and read about the symbolism I LOVE IT! :D I believe this is a "Christianizing" of the pagan hand fasting. But know what? Most of our symbolism is borrowed anyway and I think it is a great symbol now! Though I do agree with some of the PP, I think it be really hard to do it a way other than the bride braiding and groom holding. I think some peoples issue with the whole "man being the head" being archaic (not here but on another board that linked here) is laughable. While FI is the head of my house, it doesn't make him my master. Christ is both our master and we grow together towards him. Besides, I have no problem following a man who is leading me the right direction. *end short rant* 
    My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic >
  • edited December 2011
    We are going to do the cord of three strands in our wedding also but I was wondering if it has to be in those three colors?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:be4912e0-256e-40e4-9206-c78362a52b82">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to do the cord of three strands in our wedding also but I was wondering if it has to be in those three colors?
    Posted by wlecates[/QUOTE]
    The three colors are symbolic.  You could do any colors you want if the symbolism isn't important to you.

This is from <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.godsknot.com/CordOfThreeStrands.aspx">http://www.godsknot.com/CordOfThreeStrands.aspx</a>

<ul><li><span style="font-weight:bold;color:#660099;">Gold Strand</span> - Represents God
    The divinity of God is represented in Gold. This covenant relationship is initiated by Him, will be built under His authority, and is intended to glorify Him.

</li><li><span style="font-weight:bold;color:#660099;">Purple Strand</span> - Represents the Groom
    As a new creation in Christ, the majesty of the Groom is represented in purple. As the husband loves his wife and submits himself to the Lord, the Lord in turn will demonstrate His great love in the marriage relationship.

</li><li><span style="font-weight:bold;color:#660099;">White Strand</span> - Represents the Bride
    Having been cleansed by salvation in Christ, the purity of the Bride is represented in white. As the wife honors her husband and submits herself to the Lord, the Lord in turn will nurture and strengthen the marriage relationship. </li></ul>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cord-of-three-strands?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:774a4db0-b0db-407b-86f7-13967a517f48Post:be4912e0-256e-40e4-9206-c78362a52b82">Re: cord of three strands</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going to do the cord of three strands in our wedding also but I was wondering if it has to be in those three colors?
    Posted by wlecates[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I was wondering the same thing. I don't like purple for the Groom honestly but I don't want to make up my own meanings and take away from the symbolism. </div><div>
    </div><div>If anyone has a reccomendation on where to purchase or DIY Cord of Three Strands besides God's Knot that would be appreciated. </div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks!</div>
  • I hope I'm replying to this in time! I found a DIY for the Cord of Three Strands ceremony. I'm planning to make mine in a couple weeks...

• edited May 2014
    We did something similar to the "cord of three strands" or unity braid. My hubby fashioned the top part into a cross and mounted it on a slab of wood, and then we braided it together. I didn't want to have one of us holding it while the other braided.

See my link here to the picture!
  • THIS. IS. AWESOME! I have never heard of this. I do want to incorporate God more in our wedding. Especially since I wanted it in a church but FI said I don't necessarily have to cause "God is everywhere." I am texting him right now about the cord!
  • I can't tell when everyone posted these responses, but in case anyone is still looking, FI and I are doing the Unity Cross.  The idea behind it is very similar to the cord of three strands.  You can check it out at www.unitycross.com.  We were super excited when we found it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards