Connecticut
Options

Really Nervous...First Dress Shopping TODAY

So I'm not sure if I should be excited or sick to my stomach.  I'm going with my FI Sis, my niece and my MOH to try on dresses at DB today and I'm worried.

I'm currently about a size 16...this is a decrease in size for me which I'm happy about but I'm worried that my mind set will be totally thrown by the size I'll be trying on.  I've read a million times that I shouldn't even consider the number but I'm still worried that I"ll need like a size 200 or something crazy like that.  Does anyone have any advice to get me to calm the butterflies?  I want to have FUN shopping for a dress.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Really Nervous...First Dress Shopping TODAY

• Options
    PRLJMBPRLJMB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

When I tried on my first dress all I could think about was...I'm getting married. I almost started to cry! A wave of emotion came over me and I think that wave of emotion will far surpass any feeling you have about sizing etc.  You will feel beautiful and like a princess, trust me!  And, if you plan on getting into a diet and exercise program make it fun and rewarding for yourself because other wise it'll feel like a daunting mountain.  Getting married isn't about your weight, I thnk you will feel absolutely great about yourself no matter what.  You found the man of your dreams who loves you more than anything in the world.  You are about to embark on a whole new chapter in life!  Have fun.  Relax.  See past your insecurities and dance around in some white dresses, this should be one of the most exciting times of your life!  After I bought my dress I got a personal trainer and it was the best thing I ever did!  I have never felt so healthy!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also a 16 and went dress shopping yesterday.  I too was VERY nervous but honestly I had a GREAT experience and found my dress after trying on only 3.  I ended up getting a Watters and Watters dress. I also thought the sizing would be crazy and I'd end up having to get like a 24 but she ordered me an 18! 
    Don't be nervous.  If you aren't happy with your experience at DB today you will go somewhere else that you will have a great experience at.  I know exactly how you feel - I was not looking forward to the dress shopping at all but it really was painless.  It's important to go somewhere where the staff knows what to put you in based on what you want.  Good luck!
  • Options
    MLBarker80MLBarker80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies...

I really appreciate the feedback and you are both absolutely right!  I will update once I get back from the appointment. 

I'm getting married...wow!
  • Options
    PRLJMBPRLJMB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can't wait to hear how it goes!  Good luck :)  Yay for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww Congrats!! You are going to have a great time and experience! It went by too fast for me! I went to DB first also, it is a great place to start off looking for a style you like and also get to know your size. Sizing is very confusing, don't really go by it IMO. Street size is smaller than dress sizes so it will totally throw you off. I am typically a street size 4 so before I went in I was told I would be a dress size 8/10 based on this. When I got to DB I was actually happy because they pulled a dress for me that fit like a glove and it was an 8 so I thought bc It was the lower end of the two sizes I was smaller than I thought. WRONG.. I ended up buying my dress at the bridal mall in Niantic and that dress is a 12. The 10 wouldn't even fit over my boobs. SO yeah you def don't want to worry about sizes at all. Otherwise it will ruin your time. If you can, wear a strapless bra and full coverage undies. I forgot and wore a thong and a regular bra so that wasn't fun with the consultant in the room who basically got flashed the entire time by me. DB is pretty relaxed overall as far as atmosphere goes and they do allow pictures, so remember to bring your camera and have fun! Make sure you post back to us and let us know how it went! Good luck!
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good luck! The first visit to a wedding dress shop is so much fun and you get this amazing feeling over you when try on your first gown and see yourself in the mirror wearing a wedding dress. Don't worry about the size! Wedding dresses for some reason tend to run small, so don't feel bad if they end up pulling a larger size then you're used to wearing for regular clothes. Remember that the sizes they pull aren't your actual size and just look in the mirror and see how beautiful the dress looks on you! They keep tissue boxes out because everyone tends to get teary eyed.

Also, don't be afraid to have the associate helping you pull dresses that you never thought of wearing. I went into my first dress shop invisioning something completely different than the dress I ended up ordering a few months later. The associate pulled out something and I was thinking to myself "Eww I'm not even remotely thinking of a dress like that"... and then I ended up ordering a style very similar because I fell in love with it! A lot of dresses look so different once they're on you. So relax, have fun, and try on a few different styles! :0)
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good Luck, Have Fun!!!

DB is a good place to start, they have tons of differnt dresses in all sizes, at least you can get an idea of what style you like, don't be afraid to try on things you don't think you would like, it just may surprise you.

Take pictures :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and Good Luck!  When I went I asked my consultant not to even tell me what size the dress that I was trying on was.  It helped me not to think about it.  I defiantly agree with wearing a strapless bra and full coverage panties!  I forgot about the strapless bra the first time I went and it was not as fun. 
    Relax and have fun!
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Good luck!! It is such a fun experience--you will have a blast & not even think about sizes etc!

I went to DB the first time out & it really was a great experience to see what type of dresses & styles I liked best! The saleswoman was great & I didn't even know what sizes I was trying on! I am a street size 10 & I think I was trying on 12/14's! Either way wedding dresses are sized crazy--do not even worry about it! Just focus on the fact that you are getting married & picking out the dress you will be a MRS in!!

Post pics if you have them!!!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MLBarker80MLBarker80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay...so I didn't need to worry at all! 

I brought my MOH, my FI's sister and her daughter (my future neice and my Jr. Bridesmade) to the appointment.  

When I first walked in they were goofing off so I was able to relax and fill out the paperwork.  I had come prepared with the nine different dresses I wanted to try on with my favorite at the top.  The person who helped me was AWESOME!  (If anyone is going to DB in Warwick I HIGHLY recommend Bonita).  She took a look at the pictures and said that I had a bunch of different styles and that I could try on everyone until we got to one we liked.  I had an appointment for 2:00p and she said I could be there until closing if I wanted...!

The first dress she said was for "sizing" and this is when I got nervous.  I told her me usually size and she brought me the same size.  I looked at her funny when she handed me the dress but didn't say anything.  IT FIT!  It certainly needed adjustments for the bust and hips but I couldn't believe it fit.  From that moment on it was smooth sailing and she knew exactly what my style was by the third dress.  She never said "Oh, you won't like that dress...." but had an idea whether it would be the dress for me. 

I narrowed it down to two dresses shown below.  After much debate with my entourage we decided on the off the shoulder straped gown with the sweetheart neck line.  I LOVE this dress and I feel it shows my personality. 

Thanks ladies for all  your help.  It's nice to have such support!

• Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that dress is gorgeous :)  congrats on picking one!!!  that is super exciting!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards