DC
Options

AFFORDABLE hair and make-up?

Hi ladies,

Does anyone have a reccomendation for hair and make-up artists that aren't ridiculously expensive? It is so outrageous that so many of the artists charge almost 4 times as much for a bride than other women when they certainly don't spend 4x as long with us. It is such a money making gimmick.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but any advice is helpful!

Re: AFFORDABLE hair and make-up?

• Options
    jillybean720jillybean720 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any suggestions for you because I am also looking for someone to do my hair and makeup, but I wanted to commiserate - it's like you put the word "wedding" or "bridal" with any service and the price automatically gets hiked 100% or more - it's so frustrating! I mean, $5.50 per serving for a yellow cake with buttercream icing. REALLY?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm always advertising her on these boards, but my friend paula does hair and makeup and will travel. she is a professional makeup artist and stylist (has done movies, major events, fashion shows, etc). i'm honestly not sure what her rates are, but give her a call and let her know that you found her info on the boards. she'll know it was from me. :) she is local though, and works from home, so she may be less expensive than some others.

paula gordley - 202.558.8362
  • Options
    VickyFlorVickyFlor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you for starting this thread...I have been looking and I am amazed!  $100+ for a trial and $200 or so for the day of.  I know that I am not familiar with the going rate on MU and hair artists, but I am having sticker shock.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for writing on here ladies! I felt so isolated because clearly some women are ready to fork over insane amounts of money. I do have a good hint though on the make-up front...I went into a Sephora yesterday and the guy there said that they would do a free trial for the make-up and then you can make an appointment for day of make-up as well. The only catch is that you have to buy a $50 gift card, BUT you get to spend that money at the store, so you really aren't losing anything! I am going in for a trial some point in the next month or so and will get back to you ladies with any feedback.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with all of you ladies.
    Some makeup artist are charging a arm & a leg for their services.
    I am a event planner based in Maryland who work with budgets on a regular basis. Paying 2 to 300 dollars for hair & makeup with a spending limit under 23,000 is wrong. The venue itself take most of the money but luckly I can make it work for my clients. Thank you for the makeup artist listed in this forum i'm going to call her.

Oh & remember you pay more for services and products if you add wedding to it.

WinkMDPartyPlanner@Yahoo.com / http://MDPartyPlanner.com
    http://MDPartyPlanner.com MDPartyPlanner@Yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow thanks for that tip! Sephora might be the way to go!
  • Options
    binali75binali75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    did you ever try the Sephora? which one did you go to?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards