Catholic Weddings

Is it really a sin?

My FMIL and FFIL have both been preaching since last season what a sin it is to watch Greys' Anatomy because of the two doctors on there that are homosexual and got married.  I am a huge Grey's fan and frankly there's a lot worse crap on TV than that, so I still watch it. 
Last night I had a status about Greys (which was an intense episode last night) and I was reminded by my FMIL that she has now boycotted the show (she watched the first handful of seasons) and that I shouldn't be watching it either.
What I don't get is A) is it TRULY a sin in God's eyes to be watching Greys because of the gay thing? and if so B) Why is it the gay thing that makes it bad?  They had tons of premarital sex in the show since day one, not to mention how many other movies and TV shows do my FMIL and FFIL watch that include killing, premarital sex, and other things that are also considered sins.  Since when is one sin considered bigger than another???  I was always taught that a sin is a sin.  No one is worse than another (other than the grave sins vs non grave ones)
Insights?

Re: Is it really a sin?

• lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't call it necessarily a sin... but I would question if it's the wisest thing to watch, as well as do you want to support it by watching it, and more importantly, do you want people to think that you condone the behaviors which are treated as "normal" on the show by writing about them in your status?

According to Philippians 2, we are supposed to be "children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world." along with all the verses about "pure in heart..." we have to live our lives differently than the non-Christians around us. It's not saying it's going to be easy, and maybe we will have to pass up otherwise entertaining entertainment!

1 Corinthians 6:18: "FLEE from sexual immorality." 

point out to your FMIL and FFIL that maybe they shouldn't be watching "their" shows. (In a nice way. Hopefully it can lead to a thoughtful, spiritual discussion!)
    (I personally think TV is overall filled with 95% crud. Not things that we as Christians should be filling our minds with. One of the many reasons that FI and I do not even have a tv.)
    Anniversary
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If the reason behind not watching Grey's is because homosexual acts are sinful, then you shouldn't really watch any show in which someone commits a sin. Which would basically count out 90% of all TV.
  • edited December 2011
    I consider myself pretty religious, and watch Grey's. Yeah, I may not agree with some things that the show portrays, but I wouldn't consider it a "sin" to be watching it. I think it really depends on the person, and their thoughts and stance on certain issues. Sounds like your FIL's have more of an issue with homosexuality than they do with the show though, which is a totally seperate issue in itself.
    Just let them know your stance on things, in terms of what the show portrays. Just because someone watches it for the entertainment aspect, does not mean that they necessarily agree with what goes on or the values it puts across.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Although I wouldn't have one, I don't have a problem with other people being in gay marriages.  I do think homosexuality is a sin, but I choose not to judge other people on the basis of their sins, because people are so much more than their sins and their choices are between them and God. 

I believe we will all have to answer for our sins some day, but it is none of my business what you do in the meantime, so long as it isn't hurting me, the same way it isn't any of your business if I covet my neighbor's car now and then.  I think it's more Christ-like to love your neighbor, pray for them, and lead by example.  

As long as Catholic priests are never forced to perform gay weddings in the name of avoiding discrimination (this might be my only legitimate concern about the gay marriage dilemma), I think gay marriages can be viewed the same way that any other secular marriage is viewed by the Catholic church.  By that I mean that they have legal significance, but not sacrimental significance.  And I think we see Christ's acceptance of secularity in Matthew 22:21 ("Then [re]pay to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God that which is God's").  

I guess what I'm saying is for your MIL's argument to hold, she has to be equally offended by all marriages that aren't performed by a priest and even then it's not really her responsibility to keep track of people's sins.  Plus, Grey's is an awesome show.  Also, consider limiting what you MIL can see of your FB page, I know I have with my FMIL!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:01f11ad4-6775-4acf-ad0d-ab3bcbfdfcb3">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although I wouldn't have one, I don't have a problem with other people being in gay marriages.  I do think homosexuality is a sin, but I choose not to judge other people on the basis of their sins, because people are so much more than their sins and their choices are between them and God.  I believe we will all have to answer for our sins some day, but it is none of my business what you do in the meantime, so long as it isn't hurting me, the same way it isn't any of your business if I covet my neighbor's car now and then.  I think it's more Christ-like to love your neighbor, pray for them, and lead by example.   As long as Catholic priests are never forced to perform gay weddings in the name of avoiding discrimination (this might be my only legitimate concern about the gay marriage dilemma), I think gay marriages can be viewed the same way that any other secular marriage is viewed by the Catholic church.  By that I mean that they have legal significance, but not sacrimental significance.  And I think we see Christ's acceptance of secularity in Matthew 22:21 ("Then [re]pay to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God that which is God's").   I guess what I'm saying is for your MIL's argument to hold, she has to be equally offended by all marriages that aren't performed by a priest and even then it's not really her responsibility to keep track of people's sins.  Plus, Grey's is an awesome show.  Also, consider limiting what you MIL can see of your FB page, I know I have with my FMIL!
    Posted by Yankee in the South[/QUOTE]

Some misunderstanding here. The church only holds Catholics to the form of Canon law in marriage. Non-Catholics don't need to get married by a priest for them to be valid. When 2 baptized people marry, it is a sacrament.

Any sin is hurting themselves as well as the body of Christ. It's impossible for one person to commit a sin, and not harm the rest of the world-- maybe undetectable to us, but its still there.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a slippery slope argument.  If you start saying you can't watch one TV show because of *this* then, you have to apply the argument to all other TV shows.  And then it needs to go into movies, video games, radio talk shows, and novels.

Like I said, slippery slope.  You can choose to ban all of those forms of entertainment/news/etc, or watch -- realize it's fiction, and not do those things yourself.

I don't watch Grey's... but really... there's so much worse on television.  I'm a huge fan of Weeds, Dexter, and True Blood -- your MIL would think I'm most certainly going to hell!

I think you ought to start limiting what your MIL sees on FB. :)  They have a way to share with only certain groups, or with everyone.  You can even share with individual people now.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, the fact that she used to watch, with the rampant premarital sex and such a casual attitude towards sex, but now she can't watch it because of the homosexual characters?  I would think that's more of a homophobic thing and not a sin thing. 

My parents stopped watching Desperate Housewives when the gay couple moved onto the street. 

If a Catholic says they won't watch Grey's because everyone sleeps around ,or they don't watch to DH because there's no respect for marriage, that's fine, and I actually think that's very noble.  But to tolerate all the other stuff and then draw the line only at homosexuality seems odd to me.

I think this discrepancy exists (for my parents at least, but prob others) because they realize that premarital sex exists and is part of society, and all they can do is be good people and pray.  But they still feel like there is hope to oust homosexuality from the list of acceptable things in our society.  When they see gay couples on tv, they think "This is their atttempt at making us think we have to accept homosexuality...well, they're not going to trick me!!" 

Hope that made some sense!

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess you could say that by watching tv shows that say that same-sex marriages (or anything else the Catholic church is against) are okay, you are supporting it too (larger viewership = more ad revenue = more episodes of shows that are okay with xyz).  Your MIL must also not watch Modern Family. 

I've met some fundamentalist Christians who will not read Harry Potter because they feel that it promotes witchcraft too.  So it's not just some Catholics who feel this way.

I think it's a funny line to draw that premarital sex on tv is okay but gay marriage on tv is not.  If she's going to be righteous about one area, she really should insist that all of the television she watches be free of all possibly sinful things (and therefore, she probably should toss out her tv set).
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:01f11ad4-6775-4acf-ad0d-ab3bcbfdfcb3">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Although I wouldn't have one, I don't have a problem with other people being in gay marriages.  I do think homosexuality is a sin, but I choose not to judge other people on the basis of their sins, because people are so much more than their sins and their choices are between them and God.  I believe we will all have to answer for our sins some day, but it is none of my business what you do in the meantime, so long as it isn't hurting me, the same way it isn't any of your business if I covet my neighbor's car now and then.  I think it's more Christ-like to love your neighbor, pray for them, and lead by example.   As long as Catholic priests are never forced to perform gay weddings in the name of avoiding discrimination (this might be my only legitimate concern about the gay marriage dilemma), I think gay marriages can be viewed the same way that any other secular marriage is viewed by the Catholic church.  By that I mean that they have legal significance, but not sacrimental significance.  And I think we see Christ's acceptance of secularity in Matthew 22:21 ("Then [re]pay to Caesar that which is Caesar's and to God that which is God's").   I guess what I'm saying is for your MIL's argument to hold, she has to be equally offended by all marriages that aren't performed by a priest and even then it's not really her responsibility to keep track of people's sins.  Plus, Grey's is an awesome show.  Also, consider limiting what you MIL can see of your FB page, I know I have with my FMIL!
    Posted by Yankee in the South[/QUOTE]

very well put!

I think one would have to give up all media and stay indoors 24/7 to avoid exposure to sin. 

I believe that the Church used to have a list of "forbidden" movies but I haven't heard about that in many years.  AND I go to church evey week, at least.

May I add that being homosexual is not a sin.  Acting on it is.

Fr. Judge, the NYC Fire Department Chaplin who died on 9/11, acknowledged his own homoseuality.  He was a hero on 9/11.  One has nothing to do with the other.
  • HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:a5abecfa-8281-47d9-8284-615ee4e338ff">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the reason behind not watching Grey's is because homosexual acts are sinful, then you shouldn't really watch any show in which someone commits a sin. Which would basically count out 90% of all TV.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought.  Every show has pre-marital relations.  My feelings are a homosexual marriage would be less sinful than (TV) premarital relations.  Both are engaging in sex without the intent to procreate but the homosexual marriage is one of love where the (TV) premarital relations are of lust.

If the real question is about Catholic ideas about being homosexual that is different.  My understanding is that it is okay to be a homosexual but it is in the actual homosexual acts that sin occurs.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree.  I am only speaking from my Catholic reading on sexuality (which I have done a lot because I struggle with this.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:93c1ccd4-e0f6-48b9-994c-35771a8edb3a">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it really a sin? : I had the same thought.  Every show has pre-marital relations.  My feelings are a homosexual marriage would be less sinful than (TV) premarital relations.  Both are engaging in sex without the intent to procreate but the homosexual marriage is one of love where the (TV) premarital relations are of lust. If the real question is about Catholic ideas about being homosexual that is different.  <strong>My understanding is that it is okay to be a homosexual but it is in the actual homosexual acts that sin occurs.</strong> I'm not saying I agree or disagree.  I am only speaking from my Catholic reading on sexuality (which I have done a lot because I struggle with this.)
    Posted by HandBanana[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding too.  H has a friend who is a fundamentalist Christian and gay, and he does not engage in any homosexual activity.  He just acknowledges that his sexual attraction is to men.

I confess that sounds like a horrible way to life a life, but I was blessed with heterosexuality and a wonderful husband.
  • edited December 2011
    Oddly, the homosexual marriage bothers me less than, especially in the season premiere, their showing Cristina having an abortion. I literally cheered Owen at the end of last season when he stood up for his values and told her to get out (I know, that probably wasn't good either) if she planned to make this decision on her own and do it without even consulting him or considering what he wanted. I was very disappointed when he gave in. The issue, I thought, was far more complex and should've entailed more discussion, rather than him simply saying, "Oh, it means accepting her for who she is, as this strong woman." I agree with that, but what about his strength? What about his values? I mean, what do you do when your partner does something that is *so* radically against your values, and there is simply no "compromise"? I also heard no one saying that if she didn't want to keep the baby, then she could have it and give it up for adoption.

I know the morals of television are wildly different from the teachings of the Church. I teach a relationship class at work, and we talk constantly about how casual people are about sex on TV - the whole "three date rule," for example - rather than seeing it as something precious that should be part of an intimate, committed relationship.

It's very difficult to find something on TV that doesn't make me feel vaguely guilty to watch. I end up turning it off and reading a lot of Karen Kingsbury books. <g>

Linda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    For something to be a sin, it must be considered a "grievous matter"

I hardly put Grey's Anatomy in that category.
  • chelseamb11chelseamb11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:c53891f1-285a-4d16-ad09-2582bdbf7683">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]O<strong>ddly, the homosexual marriage bothers me less than, especially in the season premiere, their showing Cristina having an abortion. I literally cheered Owen at the end of last season when he stood up for his values and told her to get out</strong> (I know, that probably wasn't good either) if she planned to make this decision on her own and do it without even consulting him or considering what he wanted. I was very disappointed when he gave in. The issue, I thought, was far more complex and should've entailed more discussion, rather than him simply saying, "Oh, it means accepting her for who she is, as this strong woman." I agree with that, but what about his strength? What about his values? I mean, what do you do when your partner does something that is *so* radically against your values, and there is simply no "compromise"? I also heard no one saying that if she didn't want to keep the baby, then she could have it and give it up for adoption. I know the morals of television are wildly different from the teachings of the Church. I teach a relationship class at work, and we talk constantly about how casual people are about sex on TV - the whole "three date rule," for example - rather than seeing it as something precious that should be part of an intimate, committed relationship. It's very difficult to find something on TV that doesn't make me feel vaguely guilty to watch. I end up turning it off and reading a lot of Karen Kingsbury books. <g> Linda
    Posted by lmeade62[/QUOTE]

Me too.  She got the abortion on the premiere and I wanted to scream at her.
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    edited December 2011
    For me, it's not so much that a show or movie contains sinful behavior, because really, what doesn't? Even many high quality movies show somebody sinning at some point. The more important point is what the message about that sin is. Is it portrayed as if it were something acceptable or even laudable? When I sense any kind of agenda to push our culture even further down the morality slope, it totally turns me off and I can't even enjoy something on its merits because of that glaring anti-moral push. I've never really watched Grey's Anatomy so I don't know about that in particular, I'm just speaking generally.

For example I recently watched the movie Paul, about the alien. It would've been sort of funny, I guess, except I couldn't get past the fact that the clear message was a) this alien disproves the existence of God, b) Christians are stupid and anti-science and c) if only religious people would throw off their silly restrictive rules and become libertines, they'd be happier and more fulfilled. Because of that message, it didn't matter to me if it was otherwise the best movie ever made, I couldn't enjoy it and found it offensive.

As far as this particular situation goes, I would be concerned about causing a scandal if posting about it might make other people think I was ok with the stuff being portrayed, especially knowing I was a Catholic.

As far as "grave matter," that is the distinction between mortal sin and venial sin, not the criteria for any sin whatsoever. Something can be sinful without involving grave matter, but it would be venially sinful.

mica--that is why I think it is so important for the Church to be vocal about the fact that it has always prized celibacy, and it is not some sort of second-class vocation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:68e02282-d131-4a31-a798-43e20bab8c3f">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For something to be a sin, it must be considered a "grievous matter" I hardly put Grey's Anatomy in that category.
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]
    I don't believe that is true. That is actually only a requirement of a MORTAL sin.
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Sin is the word used when you "miss the mark" on a target. Of course there is more to it when speaking of offense to God, but that's the general idea.

There are morally good things, morally bad things, and morally neutral things (and actions, etc). A morally neutral thing could be keeping a messy room. In itself, its neither good nor bad. Because it can lead to chaos, less peace, restlessness, aggravation over finding things, etc, disorder can easily make way for more disorder, which can lead to sin, temptation, etc

We have to remember the enemy hates holiness. He is waiting and circling every family (the domestic church) for an invitation inside to disrupt and disturb. He is sly and discreet... and you won't notice him at first. we can easily become desensitized to the effect that TV has on us, our brains, and our lives. (Even just watching good programming, if too much time is spent there, its not good for us).

We let people in to our houses every day through tv that we would never dream of allowing through our front door. 

I'm not making a judgement on Grey's (never seen it), or anything else for that matter. I think the argument that one should choose to cut out all programs if they choose to cut Grey's because of SSA isn't a very good one though.... the reason being that even in the Passion of the Christ someone needed to portray Judas, those actually hammering the nails, and satan, in order to get a story across that calls to evangelization.  

How much are you willing to put up with, and for what sake? For entertainment only? To kill an hour? or for something with deeper meaning that makes one appreciate humanity and delight in healthy relationships more?  A program that portrays sinful behavior as not only acceptable but a good thing can desensitize people to moral truth. 
  • _Dagney__Dagney_ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looking at pornography is a sin because there is an assumption of sexual gratification, thus infidelity.

Watching a show where the storylines contain sins, is not a sin itself. Even if the sin they portray is sexual in nature. The bible has stories of sinners, yet we can read them with abandon.

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:8088dbb1-c1d5-42f4-ab69-c5e9a6be2e26">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Looking at pornography is a sin because there is an assumption of sexual gratification, thus infidelity.
    Posted by _Dagney_[/QUOTE]

This is not the only reason pornography is sinful.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:8088dbb1-c1d5-42f4-ab69-c5e9a6be2e26">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Watching a show where the storylines contain sins, is not a sin itself. Even if the sin they portray is sexual in nature. The bible has stories of sinners, yet we can read them with abandon.
    I think that is an over-simplification. As I posted above, it is more complicated since there are other things involved. When the bible contains sins it is never <strong>condoning</strong> them, and yet a show like Grey's <strong>does</strong> condone sins like homosexuality. (From what I've read in this discssion. I've never watched it myself.)<div>
    <div>Does watching a show like this cause you at ALL to either think impure thoughts, or possibly do other things that are sinful? (eg, this is a different discussion, but I have trouble believing that anyone can be around excessive amounts of profanity, and avoid ever slipping in a word themselves. Not saying this is a problem with Grey's, since I've never seen it, but it is true that when we surround ourselves with sinful things, they WILL start to affect us.)</div><div>
    </div><div>Does watching a show like this, and being inundated with a message of "this particular sin is ok" cause you to question the Church's teachings, or start making excuses or viewing the sin more leniently? (love the sinner but hate the sin.) Keep in mind that this question is almost impossible to answer about <strong>yourself,</strong> everyone would say, "no it doesn't affect me." But how can you self-evaluate about that? It would seem that by the time you <strong>realize</strong> it is affecting you, it would be too late!</div></div><div>
    </div><div>Finally, as I mentioned above, the problem with writing about it on FB is that your friends are going to think that you DO approve of the show, and things depicted in it. Is that good? If not, then it may be a sin to give them that impression.</div><div>
    </div><div>So, there are a lot of things to take into consideration. It's not a simple as "watching this show either is or isn't a sin." It would be different for different people, and our actions do affect others in ways that we don't think about.</div>
    Anniversary
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:97ca4b6c-ac13-411a-90e5-79eaac146589">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sin is the word used when you "miss the mark" on a target. Of course there is more to it when speaking of offense to God, but that's the general idea. There are morally good things, morally bad things, and morally neutral things (and actions, etc). A morally neutral thing could be keeping a messy room. In itself, its neither good nor bad. Because it can lead to chaos, less peace, restlessness, aggravation over finding things, etc, disorder can easily make way for more disorder, which can lead to sin, temptation, etc We have to remember the enemy hates holiness. He is waiting and circling every family (the domestic church) for an invitation inside to disrupt and disturb. He is sly and discreet... and you won't notice him at first. we can easily become desensitized to the effect that TV has on us, our brains, and our lives. (Even just watching good programming, if too much time is spent there, its not good for us). We let people in to our houses every day through tv that we would never dream of allowing through our front door.  I'm not making a judgement on Grey's (never seen it), or anything else for that matter. I think the argument that one should choose to cut out all programs if they choose to cut Grey's because of SSA isn't a very good one though.... the reason being that even in the Passion of the Christ <strong>someone needed to portray Judas</strong>, those actually hammering the nails, and satan, in order to get a story across that calls to evangelization.   How much are you willing to put up with, and for what sake? For entertainment only? To kill an hour? or for something with deeper meaning that makes one appreciate humanity and delight in healthy relationships more?  A program that portrays sinful behavior as not only acceptable but a good thing can desensitize people to moral truth. 
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Again, I'm not a Grey's fan, but my understanding is that the show accepts and promotes gay marriage (the gay couple are not "the bad guys" on the show).  I don't think you can compare it to the producers of The Passion of the Christ finding an actor to portray Judas, who is established as being an evil character. 

Again, I actually don't have a horse in this race, but I am interested in the thought process in the debate.  I do think that there are television shows that are so morally repugnant that I will not watch them because the more people who watch, the longer the show stays on the air (most reality TV shows that glorify teenage pregnancy or child beauty contests would fall into this category for me), and the more people who become desensitized to these issues.  I don't watch a ton of TV, but I do hear about these shows.
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    edited December 2011
    lalaith, that's what I was trying to get at, basically. Sadly I really think that some in the media are actually ATTEMPTING to initiate that process you're outlining--by portraying particular sins in a positive light, they are actually normalizing them in people's minds and thus making them more acceptable in the real world. In some shows and movies it's clearly deliberate. I think we definitely have an obligation to be on our guard against those things--Jesus told us to be gentle as doves but cunning as serpents. We have to make sure we have our guard up against these subtle suggestions of immorality and if necessary cut ourselves off from them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    Mica,

I wasn't arguing FOR watching Grey's at all. I didn't form my language carefully I don't think.  I was trying to keep the arguments honest though.

There was an argument that "if you don't watch Grey's because of homosexuality, then you shouldn't watch any show becuase of the sin they portray".

I don't think this argument has substance as it stands because "passion of Christ" as well as others certainly portray sin. It is definitely how its shown and if its glorified or not that becomes the issue.
    edited December 2011
    exactly. It's the "glorification" that's a problem. And while the movie The Passion is completely different than most of the shows on main-stream tv, I think the point is valid that maybe you should consider watching ANY show that "glorifies" sin.
    Anniversary
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I do agree that there is a difference between portraying sin and glorifying sin. I do not watch Grey's so I'm not certain whether it falls into the latter category. I can understand not wanting to feel like you are supporting a show that glorifies sin.

I think there are a few variables here and it is decision each individual needs to make based on how they respond to the TV shows.  Is the show (or amount of TV) your watching enabling immoral behavior in your own life? I'm thinking along the lines of sloth and glutonny and/or negatively influencing your actions (use of foul language, etc). Does it desensitize you to behavior that goes against the Church's teachings?  Is it pulling you away from God?

I think it's always good to question whether we're spending too much time with TV. Especially when you compare that to the amount of time spent praying, helping others, etc.

I don't watch too many shows, but I find that sometimes watching "immoral" behavior on TV strengthens my beliefs because I never admire those characters. I am usually disgusted by them. But I do think others can watch the same show and think "Wow, I wish I had HER life!"

• _Dagney__Dagney_ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Accepting is not always glorifying.
     Are you afraid that by watching a show that depicts a homosexual couple as loving and accepted by their peers that you may fall into homosexuality yourself?  I presume the answer is no.  Therefore you aren't being tempted into sin.

Jesus teaches us to love our brothers and sisters.  To love the sinners.  Jesus also forgives sins. 

edited December 2011
    We are also called to admonish sinners, and not accepting sin. We do not "love" others by enabling or encouraging sinful behavior.

As been already talked about...desentizing to what is normal then becomes acceptable, then encouraged. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_really-sin?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:6ed2b981-e3fb-4f31-b3fe-a2abf8025facPost:7e7e0260-ed06-4c0f-9892-4932ba9fd6c1">Re: Is it really a sin?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Accepting is not always glorifying.  Are you afraid that by watching a show that depicts a homosexual couple as loving and accepted by their peers that you may fall into homosexuality yourself?  I presume the answer is no.  Therefore you aren't being tempted into sin. Jesus teaches us to love our brothers and sisters.  To love the sinners.  Jesus also forgives sins. 

How true!  God forgives sins of all kinds.

Cheles, I think your ILs would be better off thinking about if their choice of TV shows is harmful to intelligence rather than the soul.   Souls are generally pretty resilient about this stuff.

Please, I'm not making fun of you nor would I ever.  I have serious problems understanding what it put on television these days!

btw, M sent the the entire collection of GA when I went in for my last surgery.  I just don't have the energy although I love her dearly for caring about my boredom!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    http://www.catholicnewworld.com/

"I believe that the Church used to have a list of "forbidden" movies but I haven't heard about that in many years.  AND I go to church evey week, at least."

As a young girl, we had The Catholic New World publication in our home.  I actually received it myself until just a few years ago.  It always listed current movies, and offered its own ratings and reviews.  I would say the majority of the movies were given a rating of "O' for morally objectionable.

Ah, memories....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards