Registry and Gift Forum

How many place settings to register for

for every day china. We usually don't entertain more than 8 (we have a tiny dining room).  Do most people do 8/10/12??

Same question for glassware, although we have more people over when it isn't a sit down dinner.

Thanks

Re: How many place settings to register for

• I currently have a place setting for 8 and registered for an extra box (corelle) so I can have 12.  I like to entertain and right now, we have a smaller house, but we'll have a bigger house someday.  :) 
  • We registered for 12 since that was what they suggested at the store. Our table only seats 6, but its nice to have extra just in case.
  • We did 12. We originally had 8 and then figured that we might as well add the additional 4 settings to make 12 - if people don't buy them, we probably only "need" 8 for now, but in the future we'd want more.
  • We did 12.  Our last set had 8, and we found ourselves running out of dishes a lot and having to run the dishwasher.

It's not just about how many people you entertain.  Let's say it's a Saturday, and you're planning on having two other couples over for dinner.  The two of you use two plates for breakfast, then two plates for lunch....if you only have a set of 8, then you'll be doing dishes in order to serve dinner to 6 people.  

12 may be overkill, and maybe you could get away with 10.  If it's a common pattern, you could try 10 and if buy more if you think you need it.

DSC_9275
  • We very rarely entertain for dinner so we only registered for 8 (which was a lot of us). I registered for 12 glassware sets since most of the time entertaining consists of apps and drinks, rather than a sit down. We also don't have the cabinet space to store 12 place settings and didn't want a china cabinet. I think it all depends on your entertaining style. If you tend to have larger dinner parties, then I would say 12. If you only entertain a few couples for dinner, then I woudl do 8 or 10. I also felt bad for registering (cost-wise) for 12 fully knowing that most of the time, the dishes would be sitting in the cabinet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto what avion said, and then consider whether you plan on having kids in the future. All of a sudden you need four plates per meal, and even more if a friend or two comes over. Plus kids break things. Better to be down to 11 plates rather than 7.
  • We registered for 12 everyday settings.
  • We're only registering for one set of "all purpose" china (simple, white, porcelain) and no "good china" so I'm going with 12. That allows us to grow as a family and have plenty for holidays as well. I plan to buy china and flatware once (or rather let other's buy it for us for the wedding) so we have to make sure it will suit our needs in the future.
  • [QUOTE] Let's say it's a Saturday, and you're planning on having two other couples over for dinner.  The two of you use two plates for breakfast, then two plates for lunch....if you only have a set of 8, then you'll be doing dishes in order to serve dinner to 6 people.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

This.  Plus, think about it.  Two people who cook on a regular basis can burn through 8 dinner/lunch plates very quickly.  We had service for 8 (but now have 7, we broke one dinner plate) and we are constantly running the dishwasher just for us, not even for when we have guests over.  Go for 12.   Registering for extra never hurt anyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • 12 place settings. 16 glasses.
  • We registered for 8 and went with an inexpensive set. We have a small apartment (without a dishwasher) that we like, plan on being in for a few more years and can't entertain big groups. Dishes are also an item I like to change out every couple of years so by the time we move into a house or larger apartment I'll want new ones anyway. If I was thinking long term, I would have gone for 12. 
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • LaceTwinkieLaceTwinkie member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-many-place-settings-to-register-for?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:2f706e2c-c168-4e9a-a2a9-704ec09b88ddPost:ae0d2b11-b85a-48f7-acfb-af5c3c7e9bea">Re: How many place settings to register for</a>:
    [QUOTE]I currently have a place setting for 8 and registered for an extra box (corelle) so I can have 12.  I like to entertain and right now, we have a smaller house, but we'll have a bigger house someday.  :) 
    Posted by kitty02kat[/QUOTE]

My parents registered and recieved corelle 35 years ago and they have only had to replace a few plates that got stepped on or crushed and only in the last 5-10 years. Great choice!
    I too am skipping "fine china" and going for corelle. I plan on 16 because the full dinner party head count totals: my folks, his folks, his 2 siblings, their future spouses (makes 10) plus breakfast (12) and lunch (14) and that leaves two extra just in case. Also, my parents have 16 and we were NEVER short on plates even when a van load of kids came over for pizza.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards