North Carolina-Outer Banks

Catering Indecision

Ok, so my fiance, mother, and I are going to the OBX in October, and I'm setting up some more tastings.  I thought that I had decided on a caterer but ended up not being happy with some things there.  Anyways, I'm defintely planning to meet with Ortegaz, but I need other names/thoughts.  I was surprised to see Red Sky and CPC come in a little higher price-wise than I thought they would, but I'm going to talk with them some more.  Any others that I must meet with or look into??? 

Thanks, peaches! Kiss
image June 22, 2012

Re: Catering Indecision

• edited December 2011
    When in Oct are you going down? We will be there the weekend of the 15th to do some planning things! We still haven't decided on a caterer either - hoping to this week. When we met with them this summer, we met with Red Sky, Black Pelican, and 1587 in Manteo. I also talked with the catering manager for Lone Cedar over the phone. All in all, they all gave us pretty much the same price as far as per person. It was just the extra fees/what they included that's making it hard. Right now, we are down to Red Sky and 1587. Red Sky's food was awesome & they've been so easy to work with. But I like 1587 because they're right there in Manteo, almost everything rental-wise is included except linens, and I liked the menu better. The catering manager at 1587 has really pissed me off though, she takes FOREVER to get back to me about things, so that's why it's taking us forever to decide. But I would definitely check out any of them - we loved them all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mnwell03mnwell03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a comment on 1587...I had strongly considered them as well until I got a finalized quote.  They charge you for firvolous things, like an event fee (several hundred dollars).  I also had issues with communication with them as well. 
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen- Rick and I met with both Red Sky and Coastal Provisions. We by far liked Coastal Provisions food better, and the chef/owner brought all of the food out. We even went back there later in our vacation to eat dinner, and the chef again came out to chat with us. Since we've gone with the Sanderling, we're going to try to include them in some way for our welcome dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone!  I honestly had talked to 1587 in May but didn't hear back until July, sooo.... I doubt I'll go with them (especially if that lag in communication was not just a one time thing, as you all have verified).  Keep the recommendations coming if you think of anyone else!

And Whit, it looks like we'll just miss you.  We're going down Oct. 21st.
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    Love, love Ortega'z, which you all probably know because I chose them.  They seemed to come in best price-wise because they seem to charge the least extra fees and offer free napkins, silverware, and plates for weddings at 108 Budleigh.  I also REALLY liked Debra with Argyles.  She is the owner and was so much fun at our tasting.  We also loved her food but she was a little higher pricewise than we wanted.  She is hilarious though, such a newyorker!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_catering-indecision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:bdfe23f0-dbed-4b18-9379-b4b21bf4e784Post:7cd62cbc-c702-4ee8-8471-bc0863f0d9a7">Re: Catering Indecision</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, everyone!  I honestly had talked to 1587 in May but didn't hear back until July, sooo.... I doubt I'll go with them (especially if that lag in communication was not just a one time thing, as you all have verified).  Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]

Same EXACT thing here, I contacted in May and never ever heard back.  I guess the manager was out on maturity leave, but still, someone would be covering you would think.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Keb, I was thinking about going with them (was pretty set actually) but became concerned.  I went there three times, two of which were specific tasting appointments where I provided a list of things that we wanted to try... but we never got to taste those things (the appts. were in the same week and we were given the exact same things twice!).  So, I got worried on what to expect for the wedding.  I also found some of the pricing confusing and misleading.

JAK, I agree completely.  I heard that too, but seriously?  If you want our business, you need to respond!!!

So frustrating.  It seems that it's tough to work with many of the caterers in the summer months.  I know that they're busy with customers, but when we're dropping THOUSANDS of dollars for one dinner, you need to provide some service! 
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011

Jendem, what was confusing about the pricing?  I'm only asking so I know if there's anything I need to look for that I didn't notice at first! :)

• jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    My post is probably confusing, but I was refering to Argyles.  I was going with a package that said it included liquor, wine, etc.  It was priced the same as the other packages.  But then for "sodas and mixers" it was $25 extra a person.  But for other packages, sodas and mixers were $6 extra a person.  Then I asked to remove something and was told that it wouldn't lower the price at all.  I didn't end up getting so far as to request a proposal, because I kept getting frustrated with just the basics of the package.  Then I started to hear that others were getting much better deals per head (especially Ortegaz) and that other caterers were more open to letting you bring your own alcohol and providing a bartender (which Argyles did not seem keen on), so I started to look around.  I haven't ruled them out completely, but I want to do some other research (Ortegaz!).
    image June 22, 2012
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jen, if you like the food, I can just tell Ortega'z to keep the leftovers out for yours the follow day, :)  JK
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha, well from the stuff you said that you're having, I wouldn't mind leftovers!  Yum!
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_catering-indecision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:bdfe23f0-dbed-4b18-9379-b4b21bf4e784Post:fc0a1c3b-b732-4bde-a6f3-1a36bba6495d">Re: Catering Indecision</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Catering Indecision : Same EXACT thing here, I contacted in May and never ever heard back.  I guess the manager was out on <strong>maturity leave</strong>, but still, someone would be covering you would think.
    Posted by JAK33[/QUOTE]

LOL!  Seems like probably a good idea.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I noticed that too.  Freudian slip.
    image June 22, 2012
  • JAK33JAK33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HAHA, too funny, I actually used the spell checker since I am the worst speller alive (sorry if I ever offend anyone).  I guess I picked the wrong one, hah. 
  • edited December 2011
    I thought it was pretty funny, considering the discussion about unaccountable vendors.
  • edited December 2011
    I laughed out loud when I saw "maturity leave," having just come off maternity leave at work myself :)  People in the cubes around me must think I'm nuts.  LOL.\

Ah, ok Jendem!  I see what you mean.  I really liked Debra at Argyles and her food was awesome but she does seem to be a little confused at times.  She did make exactly what we asked for for our tasting though. We are getting our cake there and a large tray of shrimp and grits to be an addition to the BBQ for our rehearsal dinner.  She makes the BEST shrimp and grits.  And I swore to FI that I hated grits!
    They didn't seem to mind the idea of me bringing my own alcohol though.  One of the bartenders there is really cute and seemed like a lot of fun.  He asked if he could be our bartender if we went with them!  I totally would have.  He was hilarious.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Haha, that's funny about the bartender.  Ya, she kept mentioning that she didn't know if she could do that because of insurance purposes (something about serving alcohol that's not provided by her could pose a problem).  I did really like her food though, which is why I haven't totally ruled them out yet; I'm fairy certain that she COULD make the things we want and do them well.  Like I said earlier, I know that summer is crazy for caterers/restaurants, but still... we stay in Avon, so the fact that we drove up twice and didn't get what I expected was a bit frustrating.

Lisa at Ortegaz has been really easy to work with so far, so I'm very much looking forward to meeting her when we travel down there in Oct! 
    image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    Lisa is GREAT.  And her husband Marcelo is wonderful too.  Seriously though, go hungry.  I filled up on their delicous chips and Southwestern lasagna.  I figured that with the amount they served us, that is all there would be.  I was very mistaken.  10 minutes later, out came salad and the fajitas we had mentioned!!  If you order a drink while you are there, the margaritas were great.  I wasn't so excited by their mojito, but that may have been the individual bartender...

I'm taking FI back there to try the food in January for the expo.  That said, anyone else going to the expo?!?!  I'm going to start a thread for that....
  • spk4btspk4bt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Montero's from Elizabeth City!!! Their food is excellent, they will customize anything you want, they are soooo much more reasonably priced than anyone located directly in the Outer Banks, and they will let you buy your own alcohol. Let me repeat, they let you buy your own alcohol! Andy Montero is so helpful and will practically serve as your day-of reception coordinator. They charge a tiny driving fee but it is still totally worth it!
  • edited December 2011

I was very suprised by Ortega'z pricing.  And they are letting us buy our own alcohol too :)  Actually a lot of the caterers will.

• jendem8jendem8 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, spk!  I will look into them!
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards