Hawaii

Flying with your dress

So I just found out that AA considers the wedding dress as a carry on item.  Ugh!  I thought I had read somewhere a while back that I could bring it in addition to a carry on.  There goes my packing light with one luggage idea!  

Just curious for those of you that traveled with your dress.  Did you have them hang it up in a closet if available or just laid it across the overhead cabins?  Did you have any trouble transporting the dress?  We're coming all the way from the East Coast with connectors.  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Flying with your dress

• I had to fly from Phoenix to Honolulu with my gown on AA and the flight attendants wouldn't let me hang it in 1st class (was told it was for 1st class customers only). So I tried to lay it flat across an overhead bin, but ended up having to fold it in half. As long as you can de-wrinkle it before your ceremony it should be fine! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Laid it on top, as there was no first class on our flights.  Also was allowed a "purse" type carry on with it, so check on that, otherwise stick some stuff in your FI's bag.  The only trouble transporting it was that it weighs a ton, so see if you can drape it over a baggage cart if you can or your arms will get crazy tired

• I was coming from the east coast as well and did not want to fly with my dress.  Dragging it through the airports and security stressed me out.  Thank goodness I didnt because our flights were totally full and some people were having to check their carry-ons since we ran out of room..  I have never had that happen, but it just confirmed that shipping the dress was the way to go.  I overnighted it to Maui from NC and it was about $70 with insurance, I also had thrown a few other items in the box with it.  This was a great option for me, I know most people can't imagine letting their dress go, but it was much easier to stress the 24 hours I was waiting on confirmation of arrival 2 weeks before the wedding then having one more thing to think about flying out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_flying-with-your-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:5ba10bbb-d02f-4db3-92d7-761392855df7Post:dd3eecf5-cf8e-49d4-aac0-2abcbb20654a">Re: Flying with your dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was coming from the east coast as well and did not want to fly with my dress.  Dragging it through the airports and security stressed me out.  Thank goodness I didnt because our flights were totally full and some people were having to check their carry-ons since we ran out of room..  I have never had that happen, but it just confirmed that shipping the dress was the way to go.  I overnighted it to Maui from NC and it was about $70 with insurance, I also had thrown a few other items in the box with it.  This was a great option for me, I know most people can't imagine letting their dress go, but it was much easier to stress the 24 hours I was waiting on confirmation of arrival 2 weeks before the wedding then having one more thing to think about flying out.
    Posted by hdhorn[/QUOTE]

Where did you ship it to? Wasit a company who recieved it or someone you knew?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_flying-with-your-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:5ba10bbb-d02f-4db3-92d7-761392855df7Post:0fd221da-cf4e-4469-97b3-db563d3ed16d">Re: Flying with your dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flying with your dress : Where did you ship it to? Wasit a company who recieved it or someone you knew?
    Posted by allisonpickup80[/QUOTE]

Our rental company had a P.O. Box they let me ship it to and they kept it at their office until we arrived, they had it waiting at the house for me.  Even if you are staying at a Hotel/Resort they should let you do it, H shipped stuff to an out of town hotel for his proposal and they kept it until time.
  • I flew Hawaiian and from Cali to Oahu they put my dress in the closet BUT the closet was so small they ended asking me if they fold it in half.  On the flight from Honolulu to Maui they didn't have a coat closet so I laid it in an empty overhead bin and every other passenger used other bins and left my dress alone.  SO nice of them!  I had my dress steamed pressed so I wasn't worried about wrinkles. 
  • We didn't fly AA and the airplane we were on didn't have a closet (they use the smaller planes for this route)....on the way over, the flight was almost empty so there was lots of space for my dress in the overhead bins, but on the way back, the plane was super full and she kinda had to squish it in the overhead bin.  Luckily it was ok, but I had visions of it tearing on something.

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I flew from NYC to HNL direct, but I smashed my beautiful gown into my carry on suitcase.

When I purchased my dress in LA and took connections out to CT alone, it was AWFUL!! :(  I am kinda short, so I had to hold the heavy dress over my head and walk as not to drag it.  It was hard to use the bathroom (eeew how could i bring it into the stall!), and some of the smaller connection planes forced me to shove the dress into an overhead compartment.

In the end, I figured regardless of how I transported the dress to HNL, I would want it pressed, so I just rolled it up as niely as I could and put it into the carry on so that I could have it with me at all times! :)

If I had more confidence in the various mail carriers (I know people have had positive experiences, but I have been traumatized by other experiences!), I would DEFINITELY have chosen to mail it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards