Snarky Brides

Flea bombing our house

Backstory: Dog and cat have fleas. I'm taking them to the vet Friday night to be boarded and while there, they are getting bathed and flea treatments. I was planning on flea bombing the house and H and I would stay elsewhere for the night.

I was reading the instructions on a flea bomb and it says to turn off any open-flame source (pilot light) or electric items that kick on (furnace, fridge). It makes me nervous to turn the furnace off at this time of year because I don't want our pipes to freeze and burst.

So to my question- is it worth it to bomb the house, or should I just vacuum, spray the stuff the vet gave us (Knockout and it works pretty well) Friday night and vacuum again Saturday morning? I've never had to flea bomb a house, so I'm a newb at this stuff.

ETA: I meant to add people who have had to do this, is it worth the trouble?

Re: Flea bombing our house

• Well, the damage you're going to have if your pipes freeze is going to be a lot more extensive than fleas. I'd just try the stuff the vet gave you, and if it doesn't work, have a plumber drain your pipes and do the bomb.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeah I'd start with the spray the vet gave you. Gizmo had fleas a couple of years ago and they weren't terribly difficult to get rid of. Aside from the spray and vacuuming, wash throw blankets, towels and other fabric items around the house.

ETA: I've never used a bomb either. I don't think they're necessary unless your house is literally infested. Like, you can see fleas jumping everywhere.
  • AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Oh, and don't take my word on this, but last year my parents left me alone for a week after we got our furnace fixed and I didn't know how to turn it on, so we had no heat for a week in the middle of December. It never got below freezing in the house. So if it's one night, you probably don't have to worry.
  • This is the second time this year we've had to treat the animals for fleas... The dog picked up fleas again somewhere. She's not around other dogs, but she goes outside a lot. Or maybe we picked them up somewhere and gave them to the animals. Merry Christmas! We brought parasites!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:ae41d1e7-02fd-47c9-98b6-86cc480f3df6">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I'd start with the spray the vet gave you. Gizmo had fleas a couple of years ago and they weren't terribly difficult to get rid of. Aside from the spray and vacuuming, wash throw blankets, towels and other fabric items around the house. ETA: I've never used a bomb either. I don't think they're necessary unless your house is literally infested. Like, you can see fleas jumping everywhere.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

And wash them on the hottest setting you can.  Make sure to vacuum furniture. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • We fight fleas year round due to the climate and b/c I am in a condo complex and the outside cats keep the flea population going (according to the vet).  We have used the capstar tablets and the knockout spray (plus use Frontline Plus every 3-4 weeks).  Both work well.  The knockout spray works for about 7 months. Spray well, wash everything you can and vacuum and you should be set for several months.  
  • I don't have any advice but my grandparents had to bomb their house for ticks once.  It was so gross :(
    panther
  • Hot water doesn't kill fleas.Only flea medicine does. You can't even squish them to death.

All of my neighbors have cats, and they bomb the apartments a lot. No one ever turns off their furnaces to do so.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:10e3a88e-aca7-41b4-9ea4-9b3ec2f96203">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hot water doesn't kill fleas.Only flea medicine does. You can't even squish them to death. All of my neighbors have cats, and they bomb the apartments a lot. No one ever turns off their furnaces to do so.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

What about hot water, detergent and thrashing around in a washing machine for 30 minutes? How can a flea live through that, haha?
  • We get a horrible flea problem around May every year due to weather and rain (or lack thereof). They mostly bother H, he becomes their BFF while they leave me alone. We've never had to bomb, we use the sprays and go all around the house.

One thing I wanted to add, if you find any fleas on you or the animals, don't just wash them down the drain. They won't drown and will come right back up. Instead, put them in a glass of water mixed with dish detergent. It weighs them down so they sink and finally die.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:d1e180b7-0cd6-458f-922a-19c46c42aafe">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flea bombing our house : What about hot water, detergent and thrashing around in a washing machine for 30 minutes? How can a flea live through that, haha?

Well my chapstick has lived through that and the dryer, so I'm sure a flea could too. Are fleas like roaches? When the world has ended in nuclear war and zombies, fleas and roaches will be left to repopulate the earth.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:d1e180b7-0cd6-458f-922a-19c46c42aafe">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flea bombing our house : What about hot water, detergent and thrashing around in a washing machine for 30 minutes? How can a flea live through that, haha?

Haha, hot water doesn't kill them. And I'm sure, if they can live through someone squishing one between their fingers, a little thrashing in a washing machine, isn't going to do anything. It'd be like taking a bath.
  • Yeah but chapstick doesn't have to breathe and a flea does. Unless they can breath under water? i don't know much about them though so I apologize if I sound like a moron right now.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:06b3808e-e3e8-4a5a-8c95-e78a84669c38">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah but chapstick doesn't have to breathe and a flea does. Unless they can breath under water? i don't know much about them though so I apologize if I sound like a moron right now.

Maybe the fleas get little gulps of air during the spin cycle? That would be like an amusement park ride!
  • Milkduds- good idea! I didn't even think of that.
  • The knockout spray works pretty well. We used that at the doggy daycare/ boarding facility I used to work at. The Raid in the purple can works awesome too!

My best advice is spray your carpets with the spray and vacuum (not just once either, keep doing it). Wash all your dog's bedding, you can buy stuff that is safe to spray the bedding with too. Don't know how warm it is outside there, but you also might have to spray around the perimeter of your house if they are getting in there. Pick up some Capstar at the vet and give it now. It starts killing fleas within 20 minutes and as long as there aren't anymore fleas in your house that should get rid of the problem. Also, bathe in Dawn, let the Dawn sit on their coat for 10 minutes and rinse off. Its less toxic than the flea shampoos and works just as well.

I also recommend  the flea product Comfortis. Its only for dogs and is a pill instead of the topical stuff like Frontline, but honestly I've found it works A LOT better. We were using Frontline over the summer and still had fleas, put them on the Comfortis and they were gone! Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ***Oh and make sure you spray the vacuum bag or container when you empty it too since the fleas can still live after they are vacuumed up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I've heard bombing doesn't always work and it leaves a mess.

When my golden got fleas from a neighbor's dogs, we gave him Capstar (on top of his usual Frontline Plus), bathed him in a neem shampoo and brushed him out every hour with a flea comb, then cleaned the house like crazy.  I used diatomaceous earth, a garden pest killer, around the house.  You sprinkle it around floor boards, brush it into rugs, then vacuum it up.  It's not a chemical...it's tiny crystals that slice the little buggies open and then die from dehydration. 

My neighbor bombed her house over and over again.  I treated with the distomaceous earth once and it was over for us. 

You can buy it at a hardware or garden store, if you're interested.  Make sure it's the garden variety, not the kind that is used in pool filters.   Wear a painter's mask and glove just in case the dust gets kicked up into the air.
  • Cville- We used DE the first time around and it seemed to help (H is into gardening big time, so he knows all about that stuff). I also like it for the natural factor. I hate to be stinking up our house with chemical spray. Maybe we'll go with that this time (last time we sprayed the house with Knockout).
  • This thread brings back such terrible memories :(

The last time we went through this we ended up bombing the house 3 times and still not getting rid of the fleas.  We sealed off the basement door and only bombed the main floor of the house.  We turned off the gas going to the stove, but didn't worry about the furnace or water heater because they were in the sealed off basement.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:4d1b5671-4ed3-4e0f-ae1c-b342982d8577">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cville- We used DE the first time around and it seemed to help (H is into gardening big time, so he knows all about that stuff). I also like it for the natural factor. I hate to be stinking up our house with chemical spray. Maybe we'll go with that this time (last time we sprayed the house with Knockout).
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

A pest control company recommended DE to us this past spring. They gave us stuff to put on the floors, and to "dust" Whisky with. It didn't do a damn thing, and a friend of ours who works with DE for something else said it can actually be harmful to pets. Apparently it isn't as chemical free as some companies claim. So, I was pissed I dusted my cat in something potentially unhealthy.

Take that with a grain of salt, as I haven't done my own research.
  • Sesh- The stuff that H used is apparently livestock grade DE. It had a sticker on the front about putting it into cow feed and it kills any parasites in them...? We also dusted the dog and the cat, but I didn't put a whole bunch on the floors because I knew it would make too much dust, especially with the animals in the house. But since they will be gone, it won't be a problem this time.
  • We used Knockout spray recently. Did the trick!
  • My friend just had a flea issue...she used the can stuff and cleaned all surfaces that were fabric - carpet, drapes, furniture, etc - she didn't bomb due to asthma.

Get the pets on a dose or two of frontline since the fleas are in your house they can keep infesting the pets.  With the life cycle you have to repeat the insane cleaning in roughly three weeks. The frontline will help break the life cycle so at least two doses to break it, then restart in the spring to prevent.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • I don't have any advice about getting rid of the fleas, but if you're worried about your pipes bursting just shut off the main supply to your house and open the taps.  Opening the tap at the lowest point in your house will drain everything above that, but just leaving the taps open will allow the water in the pipes to expand more freely as it freezes and should prevent bursting.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:7dd3d4e3-3c46-42e5-9f75-2c842d87d85c">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any advice about getting rid of the fleas, but if you're worried about your pipes bursting just shut off the main supply to your house and open the taps.  Opening the tap at the lowest point in your house will drain everything above that, but just leaving the taps open will allow the water in the pipes to expand more freely as it freezes and should prevent bursting.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a way to do this yourself. You'd think working for a plumbing company I would know, but I don't.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flea-bombing-house?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:75030c70-1945-4947-803b-5c7518a80375Post:7dd3d4e3-3c46-42e5-9f75-2c842d87d85c">Re: Flea bombing our house</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have any advice about getting rid of the fleas, but if you're worried about your pipes bursting just shut off the main supply to your house and open the taps.  Opening the tap at the lowest point in your house will drain everything above that, but just leaving the taps open will allow the water in the pipes to expand more freely as it freezes and should prevent bursting.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

We've had to do this once to our house before when we lost power for a week during winter. Barf. But since we're only going to be out of the house for a day, I don't really want to go to all this trouble. And I think I'm going to skip the flea bomb and just do DE and lots of cleaning.
  • We had to have everything bombed 3 months ago. It was awful. And they came back 2 months later. But we had someone living with us, and I don't think she cleaned her room as well as we cleaned the rest of the house. (Pro bombing, washing all curtains and slip covers, having the carpet pro cleaned.)

Anyway, we did it during the day. If it's above freezing during the day, would it be an option to do it on Saturday?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards