North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Great Cakes! Help please!!

So I am writing to find out if any one else has booked or communicated with Marsha from Great Cakes!  I booked with her at the Expo and my fiance and I are going to the OBX next weekend for a planning/tasting weekend.  I called to schedule a tasting (after a week in which she did not respond to a request from her website, which is how she suggested to do it at the expo) and she seemed very unorganized and unprofessional on the phone.  I scheduled a tasting next week and when I asked how a tasting works and which flavors of cake/filling/icing she would have available to taste she only said key lime bliiss (her signature flavor) and an almond flavor of some sort, which I remember her having at the Expo.  There are a few reasons I have a problem with this.  1:  She is only offerring two flavors for her cake tasting, the 2 which she provided as samples at the expo, 2: I am allergic to almonds and therefore cannot taste that flavor.  When I asked to try other flavors she seemed a little annoyed.  I guess I am asking everyone else....have you guys had any issues with her?  Those of you who have done tastings with her, did you ask for additional flavors? 

I am going to call her back tomorrow and I want to ask her for 3 different flavors that we want to try.  I don't want to sound demanding to her but I feel like if I am spending a lot of money for a cake then I want to know what it tastes like.   Am I out of line in thinking that I should be able to try additional flavors? 

Any and all suggestions/help/previous experiences would be great!

Re: Great Cakes! Help please!!

• Options
    We used Marsha for our Sept. 2012 wedding. Communication was horrible with her, about a month before the wedding she had down the wrong cake design for us. I know her long time assistant left at some point over last summer which left her in the lurch. We were lucky that we used the Sanderling and our coordinator there had most of the communication with Marsha. We tried about 5-6 different flavors when we met with her though, we also didn't ask what flavors we would taste beforehand. It may be that it's the off season and she doesn't have multiple cakes prepped? I would explain to her that you can't have the almond cake, and you already tasted the Key Lime Bliss, I know that Key Lime Bliss is her signature cake, and she is the one who created the idea, so maybe most brides pick that one? Good luck! I wouldn't feel obligated to use her either, there are several other bakeries down there that have high reviews.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did not use Great Cakes, but I can tell you that the lack of communication was definitely a key factor in my decision. I was interested in them because I had heard great reviews, but I put numerous online requests in for information and for quotes online for different cake options and never heard a thing back!! I was like.. what is the point of having this on your website if you don't respond back? I figured I'm not going to choose a vendor that I have to chase down to make plans for my wedding.

I went with Debra from "Icing on the Cake" She also owns Argyle's. She was very nice, friendly and has been very responsive via email.

Good luck!

• Options
    Thank you for your responses.  We have already put our deposit down with her so I feel like we are kind of stuck unless we want to lose that money.

I am going to call her and see how it goes this time.  I guess one of my fears is that she will design the wrong cake or even worse, use almonds and I would end up with an allergic reaction at my own wedding! 

She said she uses almond extract in all of her buttercream icing as well (which she did not tell me until after I booked with her and told her that I wanted buttercream icing AND that I have a nut allergy).  I am planning on asking her about using vanilla instead of the almond extract just so there is no question about whether or not I have a reaction. She just seemed to unorganized on the phone that I feel like she would still forget.  I have reservations about this and I don't know what to do. 
  • Options
    I booked Marsha at Great Cakes! for our wedding in May.  I know she said she was in the process of moving offices when we met in December for caking tasting.  She did seem a little disorganized during our meeting but that may have been because of her move. I have found the best way to get in touch with her is via text.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    If it's something as serious as an allergy issue, I would tell her on the phone, put it in writing via email now, and do one more email a week or two before the wedding (asking for a reply both times).  This should definitely be on your contract as well.  Many people have nut allergies, so I can't imagine that she wouldn't be able to follow your request of using vanilla in place of almond.

I find it odd that she only has two samples.  We used Just Desserts, and Melinda provided us with a whole plate of different flavors (probably at least 6).  You're definitely not out of line for wanting to try more than the same two that you tried at the Expo. 

Good luck!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    Have you asked her for a refund on your deposit?Even if she doesn't say yes then you would at least get your point across. Was ita large deposit? If not maybe it would be worth the piece of mind to move on. You might even find a baker with better pricing and it will all come out even, without the headache. We are using Cotton Candy Baking Company and they have returned all emails and phone calls, sometimes right away on the emails. Good luck.
  • Options
    I know that carolina cupcakery has a "food allergy" menu.  I know they also do cakes but I am not sure if they actually do large wedding cakes.  It might be worth looking in to them.  If all of great cakes flavors have almonds, it might be worth telling her that and moving on.  You don't want to have a reaction at your wedding, like you said.  CC has also been amazing in their communication.  You should speak to Kyndall if you are interested. 
    events@carolinacupcakery.com
  • Options
    If willing to lose your deposit - you might want to check out Atlantic Cake Company. Their cupcakes at the expo were by far my favorite, and they have responded promptly to the two email inquiries I made. For those booking at the expo whose venue was kitty hawk pier - they removed the $50 delivery fee- you can always ask if that's still an option.
  • Options

I agree with PP's as well.  I would either try to get the deposit back and cancel with her altogether.  I too used Atlantic Cake Co and we absolutely loved Susan.  She was very prompt in her communication and once the order was placed, I knew I didn't have anything else to worry about.  The cake design and flavors were picked and she handled everything in such a professional manner.  I would call around and get some quotes, make sure you tell them you went to the expo in case they are offering 10% off or anything, and see how the pricing compares if you were to lose your deposit and go with someone else.

If that can't be done, then I agree with Jen's comments on having the allergy info in writing for the contract.

You should also be able to taste more than 2 flavors.  Period.  She is a professional and she knows how all of this works, so I don't see why she can't get a few flavors together for you.  With Susan, we tasted 6 different flavors of icing as well as cake batters.  She brought quite the assortment with her.  You are paying good money for this cake, so make sure you get exactly what you want :)

Let us know what you decide on doing......curious to know how this turns out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards