Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Where did you get your bridesmaid dresses?

Not the actual store, but who was the maker (dessy, DB, someone else, etc)??

I live in Boston, my BMs live in Boston, Philly, and Baltimore.  I'm trying to think of bridesmaid dresses, and given that we live all over, huge lines like AA or DB seem appealing... but I would love to know other lines that might be options/ have nice dresses and service!  I've looked at dessy stuff too, and that seems like a potential option.

Re: Where did you get your bridesmaid dresses?

• edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids are wearing Alfred Angelo dresses. Actually, they are all wearing different styles, but same color and fabric (I wanted everyone to get to pick a style that flattered them).

Like you, I have bridesmaids all over the country, so I wanted to pick something that everyone could access in their cities. Alfred Angelo worked out really well for me because most people could actually go to an Alfred Angelo store, and those that couldn't were able to try on Alfred Angelo dresses at local bridal shops that carry tons of brands.

In the end, the majority of them then ordered their dresses through MB Bride since I got my wedding dress there and they could get a 10% discount. But a couple of them ended up ordering their dresses from the shops in their hometowns because they were able to take advantage of big sales that made the price even better than MB Brides' (which, I have to say, was already reasonable).

I'm sure David's Bridal would be similar... there are a ton of locations, so most people could find a store. Although I think you have to go to a DB location to try on their dresses. With Alfred Angelo, it wasn't necessary to go to an Alfred Angelo store... other bridal shops carry the brand, too.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    md - my girls are all wearing DB. I got my dress there so they got a discount. Additionally, like pp, i wanted my girls to pick dress styles that flattered them - and didn't want them to all have the same dress. This worked out really well and everyone is happy!

• edited December 2011

I chose mine from Dessy through Bridal Beginnings here. I have bridesmaids from all over the country as well, but I had heard some issues that girls had using DB and they really didn't have a color I liked. A few of my girls vetoed DB completely as they had used them before and didn't want to again.

None of the girls live near the bridal shop so they are just going to have me bring it to them, get it when they come to visit me, or have it sent to their house. I am having them order it early so they come in in time for them to get them altered at the seamstress of their choice. I think everything will turn out well and the bridal salon is used to having girls order dresses over the phone as they are out of town.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok so it looks like I'm looking at the right stores then. 

I also am thinking same color/fabric but different styles for everyone is fine.  I just want people to be comfortable and happy.
  • MRadsMRads member
    edited December 2011
    I got our bms dresses at AA.  I picked out 7 dresses in prices ranging from $75 (because I bought my dress there) to $160 and let the girls have at it.  I love some of the Dessy dresses, but my MOH lives in south TX (like, practically Mexico) and there wasn't a store that sold Dessy close by.  I also liked that I knew the prices that I was asking my girls to spend, since Dessy dresses can change depending on the shop its bought at.  And I wanted to make sure the girls could try on the dresses, and its not a gaurantee that a shop would have the Dessy dress you picked.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • heb557heb557 member
    edited December 2011

My girls got Allure from MB Bride! I loved that you could get the same dresses in either short or long, accomodating for wedding year round! Very cute and affordable!

We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • edited December 2011
    My BM's were all over (NYC, NC. LA, etc) and they got theirs from Ann Taylor. I picked the color, they could wear whatever style they wanted and got their alterations done whereever they were living. It made it so easy!

J. Crew and Limited have really great options for BM dresses now too!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • jenice95jenice95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought Bill Levkoff dresses from a bridal salon near me. Similar to you, all my bridesmaids were scattered around the US. Since I ordered all the dresses at the same place I got a discount and it ensured they were all from the same dye lot (if that really matters, I don't know). The girls just had to send me their measurements.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    edited December 2011
    All I can add is that you should avoid the Impressions BM dresses. The manufacturing was low quality and several of my girls had crushed hooks, unfinished ribbons, mismatched ribbons, and bad hemlines on their dresses. One even had a spot where the zipper wasn't even attached to the dress. Thankfully my alterations expert fixed all of this but I would not recommend them to anyone.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I had 2 bridesmaids local and the other 2 were out of state. With that said, I too, wanted to pick a store that would be convenient for everyone so I went with DB.

Our colors were black, white & hot pink which worked awesome with their "watermelon". 

I know DB can be hit or miss but luckily we had no issues & the dress looked great!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Tara5384Tara5384 member
    edited December 2011
    My girls are getting theirs from J.Crew. I picked a color and fabric and let them order whatever they wanted.  Some of the girls just ordered a style that was on sale for $59 and they got the dresses quickly and really like them!
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'm sure we'll figure out something...time to google all the dresses/colors for these place!
  • ShleeASTShleeAST member
    edited December 2011

I got my bridemaid dresses from the After Six Collection (Dessy).  I went to a local Bridal Shop that carried the dress I liked and got it there! Since all of your girls are all over I'd have them all order their dresses at the sametime.  I had a similar situation because all of my girls were out of town but if you have them order them on their own the colors may not match and look off.

Also the Dessy Dress I got for my girls had boning in the breast area that came through and poked 3 out of my 6 girls all night! So the quality of the dress wasn't great!  If I had to do it again I would probably have gone with a different dress!

• edited December 2011
    Mine are Bill Levkoff and the girls LOVE them!  We actually ordered online from bestbridalprices.com.  It was simpler because the girls are in various locations and the prices couldn't be beat (saved about $40/dress).  I was a bit nervous about ordering online but tried them at a store first, then found good reviews for this shop and ensured it was not an overseas store making knock-offs.  They were exactly what we expected!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards