Wedding Reception Forum

What does fondant taste like?

I love the look of fondant, but I heard it tastes terrible?

Re: What does fondant taste like?

• Some people will swear that there is good tasting fondant but every type I've ever tasted tastes like play-doh (and to me, looks like it also).
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Jager1219Jager1219 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Ditto on the above.  Looks pretty, but doesn't taste too good.

ETA - can you/did you think about having a small display cake (with fondont) and then having sheet cake in the back that is actually served (with a different frosting)
  • My FSIL is making the cake, she's a professional. I really only want one cake. I'm sure she can make the frosting smooth like. I have never tried fondant, so I wanted some opinions!
  • I've heard that fondant is good for decorations but doesn't taste too good.

On the other hand, buttercream has a nice flavor (not sure about decorating).
  • Crap. It tastes like crap.

Buttercream can be smoothed so it looks just as neat and clean as fondant. Go with buttercream. You can always have little fondant shapes or something on it, but for the most part, go with buttercream.
  • buttercream it is! I just love the look of fondant!
  • It tastes like sweet paste.  I mean, I guess it does, but I've never tasted paste, but that's what I imagine it would taste like.  I don't think it's "terrible" (it usualy is laid overtop of a layer of buttercream to make it stick, so you can taste some of the buttercream too) -- but it's not as good as buttercream is.
    DSC_9275
  • Since your FSIL is making the cake, perhaps you can ask her to put a thick layer of buttercream underneath the fondant.  That way people can remove the fondant, if they do not want to eat it, but still have a good tasting icing underneath.
  • Fondant looks better than it tastes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • VERY VERY SUGARY! kids love it! LOL
  • Fondant takes like sugar flavored plastic...  in my opinion.  It can be made into amazingly, beautiful designs. But, it tastes like crap.  I did a simple whipped buttercream.  It wasn't elaborate or fancy, but it was pretty, and tasted delicious !!

• Purchased pre-made fondant tastes... bland. Homemade fondant tastes lovely, as long as it doesn't have too much food dye in it. For our wedding all the cakes were made by a family member who does them professionally, and the rehearsal dinner cake had chocolate fondant she made. Yum!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-does-fondant-taste-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d50a1e82-3ab8-4454-9693-ee58099df5fdPost:31abb740-d598-4186-bff0-cd5bfc290878">Re: What does fondant taste like?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Purchased pre-made fondant tastes... bland. Homemade fondant tastes lovely, as long as it doesn't have too much food dye in it. For our wedding all the cakes were made by a family member who does them professionally, and the rehearsal dinner cake had chocolate fondant she made. Yum!
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

You must have a very talented family member.  I have tasted pre-made fondant, bakery fondant, professional wedding cakes only baker's fondant, and they all tasted like crap.  One bakery that I did a tasting at, advertises that they use only a "white chocolate, thinly rolled fondant, and it tastes DELICIOUS"  and made sure to mention that their fondant wasn't like other bakeries' thick, rubbery fondnat.  It was just as bad as everyone elses.
  • For some reason I thought you were supposed to peel off the layer of fondant before eating the cake... That fondant was just for decor sake? Maybe I'm wrong.

I would definitely go with buttercream. Most professional bakers can make buttercream look just as smooth as fondant. Plus, I think fondant is more expensive anyway.

Yep. Buttercream :)

Anniversary
  • Cardboard. Sugar-spritzed cardboard.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-does-fondant-taste-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d50a1e82-3ab8-4454-9693-ee58099df5fdPost:8accb666-0ae6-49ff-bc94-6aa4250039cd">Re: What does fondant taste like?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>For some reason I thought you were supposed to peel off the layer of fondant before eating the cake... That fondant was just for decor sake?</strong> Maybe I'm wrong. I would definitely go with buttercream. Most professional bakers can make buttercream look just as smooth as fondant. Plus, I think fondant is more expensive anyway. Yep. Buttercream :)
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

This is what I always thought too.  I figured since there is a layer of buttercream under the fondant that everyone just peeled off the fondant and dug in!  I would never in my life actually eat a slice of cake with fondant still attached.  Ick!

I get brides wanting very pretty and elaborate cakes, but with many things your guests don't care nearly as much as what the cake looks like as to how it tastes.  I would rather go to a wedding with a blah looking cake (hello, the thing will get cut up in about 30 mintues) that looks amazing then a wedding where the cake is crazy decorated and tastes like cardboard.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-does-fondant-taste-like?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:d50a1e82-3ab8-4454-9693-ee58099df5fdPost:2c15b0a0-fc42-409a-8ad6-34480b9e3f32">Re: What does fondant taste like?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does fondant taste like? : You must have a very talented family member.  I have tasted pre-made fondant, bakery fondant, professional wedding cakes only baker's fondant, and they all tasted like crap.  One bakery that I did a tasting at, advertises that they use only a "white chocolate, thinly rolled fondant, and it tastes DELICIOUS"  and made sure to mention that their fondant wasn't like other bakeries' thick, rubbery fondnat.  It was just as bad as everyone elses.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>A lot of bakeries don't make their own fondant and purchase it in big tubs... even Duff on Ace of Cakes, I've noticed. But yeah, she's talented and I swear her fondant was delicious. I'm sorry you've never had good fondant. :(</div>
  • fondant can be delicious if done right.
    to me buttercream tastes like oversugaed ass. i hate it. i know it's an unpopular opinion but it's true.
    whipped cream is the way to go for me.
    but i think almond icing or frosting goes under the fondant generally.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards