November 2013 Weddings

First Dress Appointment Tomorrow!

I'm both excited and terrified-I made my first gown shopping appointment for tomorrow evening!
I am going alone.  All I want out of this appointment is to get an idea of what I like on me and if what I think I like will work or not.  The only person I'm telling about the appointment is my FI. 
Wish me luck!

Re: First Dress Appointment Tomorrow!

• Good luck. I hope you have a great experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck darling and I am wishing you a very wonderful and beautiful dress experience! Have fun and take it all in!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck let us know how it goes! Have fun!
  • Oh wow - good luck!

Do you plan on spreading the word (within reason, of course) about the appointment, if things go well?
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

I don't know just yet. There are probably 2 more stores that I'd like to visit (my cousin works in one and would love for me to come see her, and a dress I love online is in another) so tonight is kind of the litmus test to see what I like.  I'll likely have my mom, MOH, etc with me at later appointments.
    I warned them that I would likely do it this way.  I just don't want the overwhelming entourage or other people's opinions right now.  I want to see what I like. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_first-dress-appointment-tomorrow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:fe204baa-8378-43e6-bfa7-fee2c2f56b21Post:9eb42c98-3069-49c5-950f-aff351f3d6dd">Re: First Dress Appointment Tomorrow!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know just yet. There are probably 2 more stores that I'd like to visit (my cousin works in one and would love for me to come see her, and a dress I love online is in another) so tonight is kind of the litmus test to see what I like.  I'll likely have my mom, MOH, etc with me at later appointments.<strong> I warned them that I would likely do it this way. </strong> I just don't want the overwhelming entourage or other people's opinions right now.  I want to see what I like. 
    Posted by gmcr78[/QUOTE]

<div>Good Luck!! I would just say it's good that you at least told the ladies who are close to you that you're doing it this way... one of my then-best friends got married a few years ago and picked out her dress without anyone, and all the bridesmaids (who lived in the same city, we were all in college together) were <strong>so</strong> bummed we didn't get to go and help! (I think her mom had a fit...) </div><div>
    </div><div>I guess it's a bit selfish of me but I really wanted to go and look at the dresses too :) plus, it felt like she was implying that we'd be rude at the appointment... when I know I am the kind of person who will likely just agree with whatever the bride-to-be thought, you know? There was no way I was going to go all crazy like bridesmaids you see on TV haha.</div><div>
    </div><div>Still, there are definitely people with louder opinions and I don't blame you for not wanting the pressure!! I'll likely have just my mom and one bridesmaid ... and maybe not even my MOH?? Because yes, I am maybe sort of kind of afraid she's the type who would say the wrong thing . . . when I got engaged, she made some (sarcastic? I hope?) comment about not liking my ring? It was really awkward? I'd like to avoid that on dress picking :D</div><div>
    </div><div>GOOD LUCK and just wanted to warn you that people might feel left out of this experience, but it's your dress, so you should do what works for you. :)</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_first-dress-appointment-tomorrow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:fe204baa-8378-43e6-bfa7-fee2c2f56b21Post:db7060ab-7e40-485d-88bf-f3603efc91d1">Re: First Dress Appointment Tomorrow!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: First Dress Appointment Tomorrow! : Good Luck!! I would just say it's good that you at least told the ladies who are close to you that you're doing it this way... one of my then-best friends got married a few years ago and picked out her dress without anyone, and all the bridesmaids (who lived in the same city, we were all in college together) were so bummed we didn't get to go and help! (I think her mom had a fit...)  I guess it's a bit selfish of me but I really wanted to go and look at the dresses too :) plus, it felt like she was implying that we'd be rude at the appointment... when I know I am the kind of person who will likely just agree with whatever the bride-to-be thought, you know? There was no way I was going to go all crazy like bridesmaids you see on TV haha. Still, there are definitely people with louder opinions and I don't blame you for not wanting the pressure!! I'll likely have just my mom and one bridesmaid ... and maybe not even my MOH?? Because yes, I am maybe sort of kind of afraid she's the type who would say the wrong thing . . . when I got engaged, she made some (sarcastic? I hope?) comment about not liking my ring? It was really awkward? I'd like to avoid that on dress picking :D GOOD LUCK and just wanted to warn you that people might feel left out of this experience, but it's your dress, so you should do what works for you. :)
    Posted by sarahdactyI[/QUOTE]

My FMIL so upset she wasnt there when I got my dress. I felt bad I truley did, but my mom wasnt there either so I guess it was ok. The story is I went out with some friends who are also engaged to look at dresses and did think Id find a dress I was just messing around and I did find a dress, I put it on, my friends jaws dropped and we knew it was the one! I was so excitted I took the first appt available to come back with my mom. My inlaws would have normally been back from florida by then but thats another story. So we went and I got the dress. My mom did take a pic and send it to my FMIL and i promaised her she can come to my first fitting. But yes people do get upset when they are not there to see the dress, look at all those shows with a million people there looking with you for dresses. We did it for my SIL there were probably like 10 of us. So it is what happens,everyone wants to see it.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    So the appointment went really well.  I don't know if I've found "the one" yet but I enjoyed the experience and feel like I'm over the hurdle.  I told my mom and she'll be at the next one with me.
    As far as people feeling left out, I can understand that completely, however at the end of the day, it's your dress, and your decision. I am really glad I went by myself to at least get an idea of what the experience is like.  There was a lot less pressure.
  • sarahdactyIsarahdactyI member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Glad it went well!! :) I'm sure it's a relief to go through the process at least once - I kind of hope I don't find it tooooo quickly because I want to get to look a little...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2013-weddings_first-dress-appointment-tomorrow?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:cd1f7f85-cf50-4bfe-9bfc-0a3b46d68364Discussion:fe204baa-8378-43e6-bfa7-fee2c2f56b21Post:2a85a8cc-ed28-40c8-ba5e-c7d1d0c60b04">Re: First Dress Appointment Tomorrow!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So the appointment went really well.  I don't know if I've found "the one" yet but I enjoyed the experience and feel like I'm over the hurdle.  I told my mom and she'll be at the next one with me. As far as people feeling left out, I can understand that completely, however at the end of the day, it's your dress, and your decision. I am really glad I went by myself to at least get an idea of what the experience is like.  There was a lot less pressure.
    Posted by gmcr78[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the appointment went well!!! Don't worry, I went alone to my wedding appointment...and actually got lucky, cause that same day I found my dress :) My family understood that I knew what looked good on me and what I wanted for my wedding...so CONGRATS on that first appointment, gmcr7!! I know you'll find that perfect dress, and we all can't wait to hear more about it!!!!! :)
    imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards