Wedding Etiquette Forum

Work related- opinions?

I just called one of our sales reps and got his voicemail. At the end he says "Have a blessed day!"  For some reason, this just rubs me the wrong way and it seems a little unprofessional. Then again, this particular person tried to have a come-to-Jesus talk with me (literally) after he found out that I had a non-religious wedding, so maybe I'm just reacting to the fact that I know he has a bit of an evangelical tendency anyway. I would love to hear other people's opinions on this. Is "God bless" or "Have a blessed day" unprofessional in a work setting?

Re: Work related- opinions?

• Totally unprofessional.  Religion shouldn't be part of a workplace*.

*unless you work in a church
  • The guy that mans the parking lot across from my office says that every day when I pay for my parking.  A church owns the lot, so it makes me wonder if they make him say that.

But in a professional setting?  I don't like it.
  • LarissaAnnLarissaAnn member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
  • I would probably never say something like that in a voicemail, but to me its no different than saying "have a good day."

Are you rubbed the wrong way when someone says "bless you" when you sneeze?  IMO, its sort of along those same lines.

I could see how it rubs you the wrong way if he had the Jesus talk with you.  I can't stand people like that.
    Photobucket
  • In my line of work the quotations in email signatures are the worst.  Especially when they're misspelled.  How hard is it to copy down what someone else already said?
  • Personally, I would rather have someone wish me a blessed day than try to put a voodoo curse on me.  Which has happened at work - a couple of times.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • LARISSA DUDE.

YOUR SIGNAUTRE IS OUT OF FUCKING CONTROL.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Again.

The Margarita Evolution
  • The Fische is feisty today.  I like it.
  • I think it's unprofessional and somewhat presumptuous, but it's not probably not ill-intentioned, so I'd let it slide. 
  • Kate, yes!! Some of the signatures around here are ridiculous!! 

Overly colorful and swirly fonts also bother me in signatures.

As for "Have a blessed day", I probably hear that once a day from different people around here, so I'm sort of used to it, but it also rubs me the wrong way. I feel like it's a little presumptuous, sort of like people who tell you to smile when you're not. What if I don't want to smile?
  • LarissaAnnLarissaAnn member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Oh yay.  Here we go again.  It's been the same for about 2 months now, just a diff photo than the one of me, H & the two other guys in that slot.

Edit:  When I did this sig, I measured Nebb's sig on my screen at the time and mine came in either exactly the same size top-to-bottom or a tiny bit smaller.  She had a monster-sized picture in hers at the time, and since she was the loudest about my old sig, I figured she was a good one to use as a gauge.  Now she made hers smaller with a new picture; mine stayed the same.
  • It doesn't bother me and I think everyone should be allowed to have a little bit of their personality or what they like be part of their office or work day.  I take it the same way I take Political bumper stickers or things people hang in their office.

IMO it's an inoffensive statement and made with a neutral or positive tone.  If someone's voicemail ended with "Thank you and Eff off" then that's different.  It doesn't have a religious tone, but it's surely offensive and rude.

I do think the come-to-Jesus talk was inappropriate.
  • crfischecrfische member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2010
    I don't care how long you've had it, it's ridiculous.

Also, you haven't been posting here. If I would have seen it earlier, I would have made a scene about it then, too.

It's not rocket science, Larissa. You've been around here long enough to know how big signatures are received around here.

I KNOW I can shut them off, but I like most of them. But holy jesus, yours is obscene.

The Margarita Evolution
  • "Bless you" is much like Larrissa's signature.  Its annoying but you almost get used to it.
    Photobucket
  • It's a stupid thing to say in a professional environment, but I hear it all day long. You just have to overlook it. Or respond with "Have a religion-free day!" at the end of your VMs to the co-worker. :)
  • I'm of no mind to go running and reporting him to HR or anything, FWIW. There are plenty of people around this office with religious calendars and the like, but they don't bother me at all.  In retrospect, I do think it's just that his attempts to convert me are still bugging me. Oh, and he's one of the "touchers", too. Always patting me on the back/arm when he talks to me. 
  • You gotta know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    When the dealings done

Like Kenny Rogers, just let it go.   I see how it can be irksome, but like pp said, it's not ill-intentioned.  I would however put a stop to the religious pandering.
  • I personally just don't care for the phrase.
    One of my jobs is at the Catholic university I attend, and I could probably get away with that. But if we are giving religious reminders, I'd rather say "Jesus is watching."
  • It wouldn't bother me at all...but then again, I don't think I've ever heard it around here. I've heard it a lot when I've visited my dad in NC, but he's in the bible belt, so I guess it's probably assumed that blessed tidings will be well-received there.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-related-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:123e2b73-fc13-4c55-9bd8-acacfb86105fPost:9ecd2c1f-8a85-48b3-836b-d932c61b4852">Re: Work related- opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm of no mind to go running and reporting him to HR or anything, FWIW. There are plenty of people around this office with religious calendars and the like, but they don't bother me at all.  In retrospect, I do think it's just that his attempts to convert me are still bugging me. Oh, and he's one of the "touchers", too. Always patting me on the back/arm when he talks to me. 
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

Oh touchers are a whole 'nuther story! I hate being touched.  I don't even like it if Nick rubs my back or something.

You know, I'm a Christian, I love Jesus, whatever.  But I can't stand the pushy people.  I think its awful.  I personally believe, those type of people annoy Jesus.
    Photobucket
  • Why does any one person need three separate blogs?
  • Larissa- I don't think it's the size of your pics, it's that there are 3 of them, plus 4 links. 
  • Yeah Jesus doesn't like when people use his names to be pushy asssholes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-related-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:123e2b73-fc13-4c55-9bd8-acacfb86105fPost:27cf8f39-6c19-4849-b2a6-d89010fb73e0">Re: Work related- opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a stupid thing to say in a professional environment, but I hear it all day long. You just have to overlook it. Or respond with "Have a religion-free day!" at the end of your VMs to the co-worker. :)
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahaha, oh Bec.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know what Jesus likes nor does anyone else.  
  • Jesus loves the little children. I know that.

The Margarita Evolution
  • You got me there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_work-related-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:123e2b73-fc13-4c55-9bd8-acacfb86105fPost:5bbd4342-9485-4ee7-b712-fee01f3b3728">Re: Work related- opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jesus loves the little children. I know that.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

All the children of the world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, he stopped people from stoning Mary Magdalene, so I'm thinking he is not as judge-y as people make him out to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards