Registry and Gift Forum

Deleting Registry items?

I just had my showers. About half of the items on my registry were purchased. Now I'm not sure if I should delete the purchased items off my registry so that it is easier for people to find the items we still need on there, or if should leave them so that no one buys them thinking we forgot to put them on the registry. What is the proper ettiquette?

Re: Deleting Registry items?

• Leave them on.  It will give people an idea of what you already have, and what your tastes are.   And apparently, I just found out from another post, that if for some reason you want or need to return an item, deleting it from your registry can make it more difficult to return.
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_deleting-registry-items?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:8609b464-dfa9-462d-a512-f8859420b6b6Post:8b9480e7-a545-4c59-aa3b-2a60b7e29e1c">Re: Deleting Registry items?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leave them on.  It will give people an idea of what you already have, and what your tastes are.   And apparently, I just found out from another post, that if for some reason you want or need to return an item, deleting it from your registry can make it more difficult to return.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Yes some stores use your registry as a sort of receipt if you want to make returns.  Most guests won't give gift receipts, and this shows the store that yes, you did receive this as a wedding gift (a lot of store return policies are different for registries than for everybody else).  Some stores like BBB will take anything back that they carry, but others are more strict about it.

OP, your guests can find available gifts.  No need to delete items for that purpose.  I'd only delete an item if a) you didn't register for it and b) it's REALLY obvious that you're not going to be receiving it (so you won't have to retun it)... like a recent registry I saw that had tampons added to it.  I'm pretty sure that's not going to show up at the bridal shower.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto hoffse, your guests should be able to see which items were selected and which items you still want one or more of.  If your shower gifts were not checked off your registry, you ought to call the store ASAP and have them mark those items off that they have been purchased.  I ran into this with one item I received at my shower which wasn't marked off my registry and it just took a few minutes on the phone to clear everything up and it wasn't a big deal, they updated the information in their computer system and then the item was immediately marked off.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Oh crap, I've just been going through deleting stuff; thanks for posting this...
    Vacation White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards