Students

First post/ applying for first "big girl job" anxiety

Hello all!  I'm fresh to these boards.  I am currently finishing up my graduate degree (graduating in May) and I am applying to my first, real, big girl job.... kind of freaking out a little bit!  I am currently updating my cover letter and resume.  I know I am a qualified applicant, but it is still very scary!  Any one else have this kind of experience?
Photobucket

Re: First post/ applying for first "big girl job" anxiety

• Yes!  I am graduating veterinary school in May and am going through the job application process right now.  It is soooo intimidating!  My only advice is just to be yourself... if the job doesn't like you, you don't want to work there anyway!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_first-post-applying-for-first-big-girl-job-anxiety?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:ca6dce7b-3ba2-46c9-8a78-0ae5f8f102bfPost:525b32bf-5da4-41a4-aec4-edde1a7f9d25">Re: First post/ applying for first "big girl job" anxiety</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes!  I am graduating veterinary school in May and am going through the job application process right now.  It is soooo intimidating!  My only advice is just to be yourself... if the job doesn't like you, you don't want to work there anyway!
    Posted by megjones84[/QUOTE]

<div>Me too!  That's really exciting!  Where are you going to school?  </div><div>
    </div><div>OP, I totally hear you with the whole "big girl" job thing.  It's hard to put yourself out there in the real world, so to speak.  I'm horrible at recognizing typos, etc so I had a few people read over my resume/cover letter to make sure I didn't have any silly mistakes and to get some input.  Sometimes just having some extra support from friends can be a great confidence-booster.  Good luck!!!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm new to these boards too! And in grad school! Totally agree applying to big girl jobs is scary. My current job (which uses my undergrad degree) hired me over older, slightly more experienced people because I offered a lot of new ideas and places for improvement.  Ditto on getting other people look over your stuff- see if your advisor might be willing to look at it.  Good luck!!
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Applying is definitely scary and can get intimidating very quickly.  If you are a qualified applicant you'll get something, but you may have to do a lot of digging first. 
  • The post above mine was talking about nursing, but I am not in nursing.  I am involved in college athletics (not an athlete, but the behind the scenes part...)
    Photobucket
  • I have no advice but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone-- I'm nervous too!

Don't stress, though, it will all work out!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • This is totally my situation.  I've been jobhunting for about five months and just graduated.  It's terrifying!  Stay strong.  You are definitely not alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll be looking for my first big girl job in May, in preparation for my August graduation. So. Freaking. Scary. I was pumped to graduate...until I realized I'd have to join the real world and get a grown up job (no more 4 month temp contracts or part time work...I hope).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • I just applied... my resume is out in the world!  EEK!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards