Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Google Docs as RSVP tool

Alright, last question before we put the RSVP info on the invites.
We are going to link a google doc questionnaire as an RSVP.  
The form will have blanks to fill in their name and then respond yes or no to attending the wedding and rehearsal dinner.  There will be a blank space to request a song for the reception.
My question is:  IS THERE A WAY TO AUTO FILL THE GOOGLE DOC WITH A SPREADSHEET SO THAT THEY CAN ONLY PUT IN A NAME ON OUR GUEST LIST AND NO EXTRA?  

If not I will have 2 blanks, one with their first and last name 
and a second with any additional name on their invitation.

Any suggestions on the wording of the last part?

Thanks for any advice.  Trying to get this done and out of the way finally!

Re: Google Docs as RSVP tool

• Options
    It's Way to early to be sending out your invitations-
  • Options
    not if you consider that we are sending them from France, for a destination wedding in the US.  Also we want to avoid sending them over the holidays...
  • Options
    save the dates have been done a while ago.  This is a complete DIY wedding, including catering and venue setup all being planned from a foreign country.  Also, the invites will be sent out at the three month mark (which is in 2 weeks)  so i don't know what you guys are talking about early.  Sending invites 3 months in advance sounds good to me.  Thanks for at least attempting to answer my actual question though.
  • Options
    I agree that it's very really for invitations.  Some of your guests may not be prepared to give you an answer. 

f you need to have an online option, I would set up a Google Form instead of a Google Doc.  The form will allow your invitees to respond with who is coming or who isn't, their names, and to still give song suggestions, but they will not have access to your full guest list.  You will be able to download the responses as a spreadsheet for your use.

I'd really think about if you need to mail invitations now or if you can mail them closer to the recommended 6-8 week window, especially since you did Save the Dates.  Waiting until mid-November would still keep you ahead of the holiday card rush.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I probably wouldn't use a google doc as an RSVP method.Are you going to be sending them emails inviting them to the document? I find that long urls on paper are annoying to type into my browser. Also, people could edit other people's RSVP info.

If you do it, make sure that you are checking the box that anyone with a link can access the document otherwise people without a google account won't be able to access it. I would also include a paper RSVP option.

Here is how to protect cells so that no one can add to the name column.
    http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2012/08/lock-down-cells-with-protected-ranges.html

• Options
    I wouldn't use a google doc for guests to enter in their RSVP.

If you want to use it to keep track, go ahead
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_google-docs-as-rsvp-tool?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec130fbe-1f4d-4652-8711-4e161d05d82ePost:a46672d2-0127-4821-b0fd-686949a7380c">Re: Google Docs as RSVP tool</a>:
    [QUOTE]I probably wouldn't use a google doc as an RSVP method.Are you going to be sending them emails inviting them to the document? I find that long urls on paper are annoying to type into my browser. Also, people could edit other people's RSVP info. If you do it, make sure that you are checking the box that anyone with a link can access the document otherwise people without a google account won't be able to access it. I would also include a paper RSVP option. Here is how to protect cells so that no one can add to the name column. <a href="http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2012/08/lock-down-cells-with-protected-ranges.html" rel="nofollow">http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2012/08/lock-down-cells-with-protected-ranges.html</a>
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I agree with Staar. Google Docs is beyond some people - including many boomers. I made a small website at weddingwire.com and they had a great online RSVP tool. It was easy for everyone to use, like my boomer aunts and uncles, the URL wasn't really long and was easy to remember because I customized it, and it filled out everything for me. I'd definitely go that route instead if I were you. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that Google Doc's seems kind of confusing. A better suggestion would be to make a wedding website that allows you to provide additional information such as event times, registry and lodging. It also includes a RSVP tool. I used mywedding.com and found it very user friendly. You can create your own website name and include the link on your invites.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Figured out a way to link a google form in the website.  I am making my own rsvp tab that is different from the one on theknots using the additional tabs available.  The link will pop up as a google form like a survey. My fiance and I will be the only ones to see the form as a google doc/spread sheet.  So it's not confusing.  1 link is given and it will be a form to fill out just like a response card.
     I will password protect the rsvp tab on our wedding website, something that only our guests will know about us, considering we are only inviting our friends and family.  None of this parents inviting whomever they please...

As for when we are sending out the invites, any advice has been unsolicited.  
    Thank you.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_google-docs-as-rsvp-tool?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec130fbe-1f4d-4652-8711-4e161d05d82ePost:2a4b872b-ab0c-4235-b171-a2be7d6567c3">Re: Google Docs as RSVP tool</a>:
    [QUOTE]Figured out a way to link a google form in the website.  I am making my own rsvp tab that is different from the one on theknots using the additional tabs available.  The link will pop up as a google form like a survey. My fiance and I will be the only ones to see the form as a google doc/spread sheet.  So it's not confusing.  1 link is given and it will be a form to fill out just like a response card.  I will password protect the rsvp tab on our wedding website, something that only our guests will know about us, considering we are only inviting our friends and family.  None of this parents inviting whomever they please... As for when we are sending out the invites, any advice has been unsolicited.   Thank you.
    Posted by branemily[/QUOTE]

I think that sounds like a much better idea that an open google doc. And it will organize it for you!

• Options
    I want to also use google forms and have the link to RSVP on our website.  On google forms, how do you prevent guests adding names of people who were not invited?  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards