Ohio-Cincinnati

Plus-size wedding dress shopping issues

Hi ladies,

I am a size 14/16 and have been postponing wedding dress shopping. With my wedding in October, it's definitely time to start looking. I have browsed through a couple of stores in Reading but didn't try anything on. One dress that I have been obsessing over for a particularly long time is only carried in a size 12 at one of those stores so I didn't even ask to try it on.

If you wear an "extended size" and have already gone shopping for your gown, do you have a store that you would recommend? I found that the dresses that I liked in those stores were only carried up to a size 12 and I didn't care one bit for any of the dresses they had in sizes 14-16.

Also, how far do some stores go to get a girl into a too-small dress? I'm certainly trying to lose weight, but I don't know if I'll be in a 12 (which probably fits like a 10, since it's a wedding gown) in the next month and I'd really like to try this dress on so I can either buy it or realize that I hate it and move on with my life, haha.

Re: Plus-size wedding dress shopping issues

• I think you would be pleasantly suprised. I'm a 14/16 pants in regular clothes and found a dress I love at bridal and formal. Also if you go to davids bridal (who also has alot) go to kenwood they were amazing versu the tri county store (they told me there I was too big for any but 3 dresses). Good luck but here are actually more out there that fit than you would expect
  • You will have no prolem trying on the size 12 dresses. It may not zip all the way but they can clip it to your bra and you won't be able to tell from the front.  I wear a size 28 in street clothes and I was able to try on size 22 dresses.  When you go make sure you wear at least a strapless bra and full coverage underwear.  I wore spanx and a strapless bra and it work out well (the spanx helped hold me in some).  I tried on dresses at Alfred Angelo in Dayton and at Fabulous Bridal in Covington. I highly recommend both stores. There is a shop in Bellevue that is a plus size bridal boutique, Belle Bridal, but I think they are by appointment only.  I didn't try dresses on at Wendy's Bridal but that is where I am ordering my dress from (they only had a 12 so I couldn't try it on).
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_plus-size-wedding-dress-shopping-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:9a33f8cb-e489-47dc-ac7d-dd027a70cf57Post:ad763524-c36b-4b24-80c1-14255c06254b">Plus-size wedding dress shopping issues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I am a size 14/16 and have been postponing wedding dress shopping. With my wedding in October, it's definitely time to start looking. I have browsed through a couple of stores in Reading but didn't try anything on. One dress that I have been obsessing over for a particularly long time is only carried in a size 12 at one of those stores so I didn't even ask to try it on. If you wear an "extended size" and have already gone shopping for your gown, do you have a store that you would recommend? I found that the dresses that I liked in those stores were only carried up to a size 12 and I didn't care one bit for any of the dresses they had in sizes 14-16. Also, how far do some stores go to get a girl into a too-small dress? I'm certainly trying to lose weight, but I don't know if I'll be in a 12 (which probably fits like a 10, since it's a wedding gown) in the next month and I'd really like to try this dress on so I can either buy it or realize that I hate it and move on with my life, haha. Thanks :)
    Posted by emilou02[/QUOTE]
    Belle Bridal Boutique specializes in Plus Size gowns. They just opened in Bellevue KY and they have great reviews. My friend got her gown there and she can't say enough great things about them. Good Luck :)
  • I've been told for every dress size smaller you have to lose 20 pounds. Have you tried YOURS TRULY, KELLY in the Reading bridal district? It's a boutique which carry all sizes. If there is something you're looking for Kelly can order it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you tried Kotsovos? They carry a full line of plus size dresses. Its where my sister went and she was treated so well! Bridal and Formal was great too and they didnt zip, but they clipped so you could see the dress on.
  • Yours Truly Kelly was amazing and her alterations are very reasonably priced!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also am a 14/16 and was dreading shopping as I've always heard that you typically wear a much bigger wedding dress than street clothes- I was impressed I only had to go up one size though.  I just got mine a couple weeks ago at David's Bridal in Florence and they were great.  David's has a big enough selection that they will have larger sizes of many dresses that a smaller boutique/ shop might not carry.  They also have all the foundation pieces (longline bra and underskirt) for you to try on with the dress and those correct pieces can make all the difference in the world in how a dress looks on your body! 

I've seen brides buy dresses that they "hope" to fit into by the wedding day- it's not a great idea to think about doing this as there are so many options out there nowadays.  Find one you look fabulous in now so that if you are able to drop some more weight it's an added bonus.  I went in with that attitude and it was a great experience. If you have your heart set on a particular dress, definitely try it on if it's at all possible so you aren't always wondering if it could have been "the one" but be prepared for it not to look how you might have envisioned it.  You really never know what's going to look good on you until it's on you- many brides walk out with dresses they never thought they'd even like to try on, but when they did that was it- you just never know, so keep an open mind! 

If you do choose to do a larger "chain" bridal store I also reccomend a weekday appointment if you can- weekends at the larger stores can be very crowded and very hectic- we went mid morning on a Monday that was a holiday and were almost the only people in there- much more relaxed and the sales people are able to be more focused on you however long you need. 

Good luck! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Alfred Angelo near the Dayton Mall had an amazing size range...I seriously saw probably 20+ dresses in every size up to 30 (I believe). The great thing there was that they have more than one sample of most dresses. So, if you like one and it's a 12, they probably also have it in 18 you could try and clip! They also had them in different colors...I was able to compare the white and ivory in the dress I liked rather than just have to envision it.

Sign up for their emails they constantly have sales...I think I got like 250$ off my dress randomly when I went!
  • edited February 2012
    I am a plus sized bride and I found my gown at Something New, borrowed and blue in Reading.  The best part about this store is that all of the gowns are under 600.00.  Right now there giving away a free veil with your gown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards