Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Super, super weird question.

Okay, so TMI/just gross question here..

I've had my fitting where I actually had my dress on for longer than 2 minutes, and realized that my dress is crazy, insanely hot.  Its strapless, so my upper body is fine, but after ten minutes in it I felt like me legs were dripping with sweat (gross, I know.)  

So, now I'm totally paranoid about the garter toss (which I don't want to do anyways, but FI insists).  Anyone else experience this?  I wasnt planning on wearing anything but like those comfy lacy one-size-fits-all vs undies under my dress, but now I'm maybe considering like thigh-highs or nylons of some sort, or will that just make it worse?  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
PAIF/SAIF welcome!

Re: Super, super weird question.

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could just warn him that you'll be really sweaty; so at least he'll be prepared. You probably both will by that point in the night anyway.

I wouldn't wear nylons or anything,  but if you think the sweat will make you uncomfortable, I would just do some cotton bike shorts.
  • edited December 2011
    I think hosiery might make it worse. It will definitely trap moisture to your legs.

You might be surprised by how much air gets kicked up as you move in your dress, but yeah - I was a sweaty betty in my dress and it was the middle of October.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make a quick run to the bathroom before the garter toss, grab some paper towels, wipe down my legs and go back to the dance floor.

Also, on the subject of TMI, if you're worried about any sort of sweat-induced rubbing (anywhere on your body) get a stick of Body Glide. That stuff is like gold.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have noticed this also. My solution was to wear the spanx that come down to mid thigh so my thighs at least won't get stuck to themselves... My hope is that I can keep moving enough or at least keep my dress moving enough to keep it aired out. Maybe I can sew in some of those hand-held batter operated fans!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_super-super-weird-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:c309e355-155a-4972-98b1-34f4b5a3de9dPost:81a4ecd7-5f65-415c-a123-b0d076125d4f">Re: Super, super weird question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think hosiery might make it worse. It will definitely trap moisture to your legs. You might be surprised by how much air gets kicked up as you move in your dress, but yeah - I was a sweaty betty in my dress and it was the middle of October. If I were in your shoes, I'd make a quick run to the bathroom before the garter toss, grab some paper towels, wipe down my legs and go back to the dance floor. <strong>Also, on the subject of TMI, if you're worried about any sort of sweat-induced rubbing (anywhere on your body) get a stick of Body Glide. That stuff is like gold.
    </strong>Posted by beka0404[/QUOTE]

I just picked that up at REI a few weeks ago!  So it really does work, as well as they said it does?  I plan on putting it on my thighs, that unfortunantly rub together & also under my arms, so they don't go raw from the beading on my dress.

Enchanted - I agree with the idea of going to the bathroom quick before.  You're DJ should tell you it's coming up, so you have time to prepare.  I too, have sweating issues.  I have hyperhydrosis, so I feel like I'm always dripping wet.  No fun!  = (  I'm worried about the wedding day, but have been taking garlic & magnesium to try & help!  So far so good!  = )
  • edited December 2011
    hm- maybe also keep the garter closer to your knee anyways? like push it down farther on your leg than you would normally?

hopefully you will have some nice breezes on your wedding to keep you more cool!

Oh! invest in a personal (like one of those tiny ones that runs on batteries) fan and stick it up under your dress at any point you feel too hot. or only when its appropriate. better yet, have someone else designated to do that for you.
  • edited December 2011
    You could set up a fan under the head table to put under your dress when you are sitting at dinner... no one would notice and it would give you a chance to air out for a bit.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Ooo, Emily I like your idea too!   = )
  • MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Oh! invest in a personal (like one of those tiny ones that runs on batteries) fan and stick it up under your dress at any point you feel too hot. or only when its appropriate. better yet, have someone else designated to do that for you.
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

I just pictured someone folllowing the bride around all day shoving a fan up her dress.  It's a pretty funny picture.

I like the idea of going to the bathroom before the garter toss.  Also, if you're super worried, maybe don't even put the garter on until right before the toss.  I also think hosiery might make things worse (and it tends to smell worse in my opinion when it gets sweaty.  At least for me it does.)  But here's wishing for breeziness on your wedding day.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    I was worried kinda abuot this same issue.  I was worried about being so hot that my thighs rubbed together and would hurt.  I bought a pair of spanks, also wondering if they would just make me hotter.  They didn't at all and I really think they helped. 

I too got SUPER hot and sweaty just from trying the dress on ( I am too warm and sweaty lol for a female I think) and I was super worried for the wedding day.  It wasn't bad at all until late into the dance when I was dancing, drinking, and the venue was hot as heck.

GL!
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Keep the garter as low on your leg as possible, maybe don't even put it on until right before.  As for grossing out your H, you'll be married by then so there's not much he can do about it!
  • Sarahsue1684Sarahsue1684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a hoop crinoline just the other day for my dress and it makes it alot cooler because nothing is touching my legs now. Beofre I just had a regular crinoline and it was super hot. Depending on what kind of dress you have you could try getting one with a hoops. I got my for $20 on Etsy.
  • edited December 2011
    Also maybe putting some baby powder or powder of some kind to absorb the moisture might help. You can put it in a sock and press it against your skin. You could do that before your garter toss. I am sure you could find some nice smelling powders or unscented powders. This also works in shoes to help keep your feet dry. I do this in the summer when I have to work at our plants for work (I am an engineer and have to go the plants a lot).
    Anniversary
  • Cackle6Cackle6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The make moisture wicking biker shorts, and they rock. They "wick" the moisture away from your skin so it stays nice and dry, which in turn helps keep it cooler down there. They can be a little expensive, but I found mine on sale at REI awhile back. I wear them under pretty much all my dresses.
  • maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, for me, the leg-sweat (and oh yes, there was lots of leg-sweat!) went away by the time we sat down for dinner. It was super terrible during the ceremony and pictures, but as the night went on either I just got used to the temp down there or my body had literally run out of sweat ;-)

Don't wear nylons. While they tend to help feet not sweat in shoes... they do nothing for the inner thigh area except irritate it like crazy when you're overheated. All the ideas above are really good, but you know what the cheapest is? Leave your garter off for most of the day, and find a room to duck into shortly before the garter toss. Have your DOC or PA (or whoever you have for these things) fluff your skirt up and down for a minute or two (the breeze feels phenominal), and if it's really bad, get in there with a towel. That last part might get horrifyingly awkward for a couple of seconds, but before you know it, you can slip your garter onto nice, non-dripping legs :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I concur with the BodyGlide.  FI uses it when he goes cycling and loves it.  I plan to steal it for the wedding :0)
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • edited December 2011
    Body Glide is a LIFE SAVER! I used it the last time I ran a 1/2 marathon! Now I use it all the time. I also had my dress on for like 5 minutes and my legs were literally dripping in sweat while the rest of me is fine. I am going to wear spanx that will absorb some of the sweat and wick it away from my skin. I wear them under other dresses sometimes...the kind that go to mid-thigh and they are a lifesaver for preventing sweat and irritation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards