Christian Weddings

Any crafters out there?

I noticed a few people here said they enjoy various crafts as a hobby. 

Anybody want to share what they are working on? A project you look forward to doing? 

Is there a craft you would like to learn someday?  Or one you have tried and failed miserabley at?
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: Any crafters out there?

• edited October 2012
    Knitting is my big thing right now. I can only do the knit stitch. I have failed miserably when I have tried to do the purl stitch. I am finishing up some cotton coasters for my mom (knitting coaster sized squares out of cotten yarn with #6 needles. they work really well). I also am working on a scarf for my sister but that's taking extra time since I can't get the width right.

I have made a yarn wreath for spring and fall and I am looking at painting our entertainment center and one of our end tables in the next 6months. And I will make another wreath for winter.

I love to learn how to scrapbook, decorate cakes, something with photography, and do more with painting
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been cross stiching for years.  Mostly small things that I've given as gifts.  Then before the wedding I started my biggest project with our names, flowers, a chapel, and our wedding date.  I haven't been able to pick it up again since we've gotten married with grad school and all.

I love scrapbooking too.  I haven't been able to do much with that either, except for one a put together for DH for our first anniversary (paper!).

I started making a dress last year (coffee date dress. It seems to be a fairly popular dress for bloggers to make, and I've seen it on pinterest too.), but I haven't finished it.  Again, I don't have time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Crochet is my newest thing. I just learned in May, but I'm off and running with it. My current "active" project is a crocheted quilt made out of granny squares.

I've at least tried just about every yarn/thread based type of craft out there. I currently have about 5 projects in the works, a knit scarf, a knit baby blanket, the crocheted quilt, a knit pillow cover, and a cross-stitch lighthouse scene. Plus I have 2 baby blankets planned for the future, one knit and one crochet.

I also have dabbled in scrapbooking and beading, but those are kind of on the back burner currently. I used to be pretty good at cake decorating, but haven't practiced in years, so I'm just now getting back into simple stuff on my cupcakes.
  • My biggest thing is crochet and knitting with looms. I like to do all kinds of different stitches and such so I don't get bored with it. I had been doing it a lot for gifts and craft fairs to sell. I haven't been able to do it much lately since my time has been consumed with wedding planning. However, I plan to get back into it now that things have calmed down some. I'm going to "stitch up" :-) some Christmas gifts.

I haven't decided what I'm going to make everyone. I do know that I'm going to make my brother a blanket. He loves things like that and I'm going to make it in browns with maybe another accent color. I haven't decided what stitch to use yet - probably something simple.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:187b477d-4e74-4b0d-83e4-ee4b4bfb6aba">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Knitting is my big thing right now. I can only do the knit stitch. I have failed miserably when I have tried to do the purl stitch. I am finishing up some cotton coasters for my mom (knitting coaster sized squares out of cotten yarn with #6 needles. they work really well). I also am working on a scarf for my sister but that's taking extra time since I can't get the width right. I have made a yarn wreath for spring and fall and I am looking at painting our entertainment center and one of our end tables in the next 6months. And I will make another wreath for winter. I love to learn how to scrapbook, decorate cakes, something with photography, and do more with painting
    Posted by LeahVB2011[/QUOTE]

Have you tried knitted dishclothes yet? A made a couple for a friend of mine that loves to cook, knowing she would put them through their paces. She said they work wonderfully and have held up great. They were super easy to make, so I'm definitely going to do more.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:d77bdcab-666a-4824-b252-49cc73b72591">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been cross stiching for years.  Mostly small things that I've given as gifts.  Then before the wedding I started my biggest project with our names, flowers, a chapel, and our wedding date.  I haven't been able to pick it up again since we've gotten married with grad school and all. I love scrapbooking too.  I haven't been able to do much with that either, except for one a put together for DH for our first anniversary (paper!). I started making a dress last year (coffee date dress. It seems to be a fairly popular dress for bloggers to make, and I've seen it on pinterest too.), but I haven't finished it.  Again, I don't have time.
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

I was hoping to do a cross-stitch with our original wedding date plus our vow renewal date and surprise my husband with it at our party, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen! He is a long-haul truck driver and is only home for a month or two in the winter. It's coming up soon. I don't think I can get it done before he comes home, can't work on it at all while he's here, and doubt I'd have time between when he leaves and our vow renewal date. I'd still like to do one sometime with our original wedding date, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:671136ae-b7c7-4bd7-a26e-b94bcfd3017a">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crochet is my newest thing. I just learned in May, but I'm off and running with it. My current "active" project is a crocheted quilt made out of granny squares. I've at least tried just about every yarn/thread based type of craft out there. I currently have about 5 projects in the works, a knit scarf, a knit baby blanket, the crocheted quilt, a knit pillow cover, and a cross-stitch lighthouse scene. Plus I have 2 baby blankets planned for the future, one knit and one crochet. I also have dabbled in scrapbooking and beading, but those are kind of on the back burner currently. I used to be pretty good at cake decorating, but haven't practiced in years, so I'm just now getting back into simple stuff on my cupcakes.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

You sound so much like me with crafts! I feel I've had my hands in just about everything at this point! LOL 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:b02195e9-cd28-4225-8fd4-644e1f098e02">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My biggest thing is crochet and knitting with looms. I like to do all kinds of different stitches and such so I don't get bored with it. I had been doing it a lot for gifts and craft fairs to sell. I haven't been able to do it much lately since my time has been consumed with wedding planning. However, I plan to get back into it now that things have calmed down some. I'm going to "stitch up" :-) some Christmas gifts. I haven't decided what I'm going to make everyone. I do know that I'm going to make my brother a blanket. He loves things like that and I'm going to make it in browns with maybe another accent color. I haven't decided what stitch to use yet - probably something simple.
    Posted by geieran[/QUOTE]

Looms are one thing I haven't tried! Do you have much luck selling at craft fairs? I've considered doing that, but it takes me so long to knit or crochet most things that there wouldn't be much in my booth. LOL  Plus, the time plus expense has me wondering if much of a profit gets made.
  • I forgot to answer my own questions!

Anybody want to share what they are working on? A project you look forward to doing? I'm currently working on a knitted scarf for my 8 yo that he picked the colors and pattern for. I'm also working on a knitted blanket, but it's a long-term project. I've been working on it for 4 years now! I'll put it down for looooong periods when I get sick of it then pick it up again. It's a complicated knit pattern that requires concentration and counting, It's going to be beautiful when it's done, but I do get sick of it and go looking for something a little more mindless to do while I watch tv or chat with my kids.

Is there a craft you would like to learn someday? Or one you have tried and failed miserably at? I love to sew and would like to improve my skills in alteration. I'd love to take a ceramics class, too. There are two crafts I have tried that I've failed miserably at -- embroidery and quilting. My embroidery looks like a 5 yo did it, as do my hand stitches in quilting. They are the only 2 crafts that have traditional significance in my family (Mom does embroidery and my Grandma did quilting) and I stink at both of them!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:06b35b4a-3438-407e-829c-939b080cbfad">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any crafters out there? : Looms are one thing I haven't tried! Do you have much luck selling at craft fairs? I've considered doing that, but it takes me so long to knit or crochet most things that there wouldn't be much in my booth. LOL  Plus, the time plus expense has me wondering if much of a profit gets made.
    Posted by Julie2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I really like the looms. I can do all kinds of different things with them. I have this one pattern where I can make a cable-knit hat and I feel like such a cheater lol. </div><div>
    </div><div>I haven't done too many fairs yet since I haven't been into this for very long before I met my H and started wedding planning. It really depends on where you go though. I have a bunch of stuff made up so if you work on things like that, I think it would definitely be worth it. I went to this one fair last year that's huge. They have about 100-150 booths and I made about $200. That was my first time being there and I wasn't very prepared. I would like to go this next year and hopefully will have a better idea of what's in demand. </div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:6bcaf95c-62b9-40ea-ada8-8f04039e4dd1">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any crafters out there? : I really like the looms. I can do all kinds of different things with them. I have this one pattern where I can make a cable-knit hat and I feel like such a cheater lol.  I haven't done too many fairs yet since I haven't been into this for very long before I met my H and started wedding planning. It really depends on where you go though. I have a bunch of stuff made up so if you work on things like that, I think it would definitely be worth it. I went to this one fair last year that's huge. They have about 100-150 booths and I made about $200. That was my first time being there and I wasn't very prepared. I would like to go this next year and hopefully will have a better idea of what's in demand. 
    Posted by geieran[/QUOTE]

You made $200 and you WEREN'T prepared?! That's wonderful!!!
  • I am the ultimate dabbler in crafting. I start so many projects and well, occasionally finish a few of them! I love scrapbooking, knitting, sewing/quilting, embroidery.. I currently have been making a lot of cards scrapbook/stamping style, and working on my calligraphy. There are just so many projects to work on!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:e5ef3619-c57e-4a7c-b2f5-a8f06929d2ae">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any crafters out there? : You made $200 and you WEREN'T prepared?! That's wonderful!!!
    Posted by Julie2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, that was pretty good, but I did have a $50 fee to set up there and then the cost to make the items. I thought that was quite good for my first time, though.

</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:cf503e62-c258-445b-a5e9-28d029ec7b10">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am the ultimate dabbler in crafting. I start so many projects and well, occasionally finish a few of them! I love scrapbooking, knitting, sewing/quilting, embroidery.. I currently have been making a lot of cards scrapbook/stamping style, and working on my calligraphy. There are just so many projects to work on!
    Posted by jcsangelpen[/QUOTE]

I love to scrapbook, but I've never made any cards. My SIL makes all her cards and they are just adorable. I'm hoping to try my hand at making the invites for our vow renewal.
  • I am not very crafty right now but I want to be.

I would like to take up knitting and sowing again. I really want to take up sowing and make myself a bunch of cute stuff. Sadly, being in school and taking 20 units makes that a little impossible. :(  

I really need to start knitting again, it is something I could do on the bus on the way to school, I just need to get my Godmother to show me how again.  

I also want to scrap book.  I have everything saved from my trips for it but I have never gotten around to it :(  Maybe I should get on that?  Lol.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_any-crafters-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd0efe14-2a2a-4cac-9b3d-9365444bfee8Post:fbca50bb-8293-43db-89eb-78c6cf6b7a34">Re: Any crafters out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not very crafty right now but I want to be. I would like to take up knitting and sowing again. I really want to take up sowing and make myself a bunch of cute stuff. Sadly, being in school and taking 20 units makes that a little impossible. :(   I really need to start knitting again, it is something I could do on the bus on the way to school, I just need to get my Godmother to show me how again.   I also want to scrap book.  I have everything saved from my trips for it but I have never gotten around to it :(  Maybe I should get on that?  Lol.
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Ravenray, there are some wonderful resources on the internet for learning to knit. Youtube has hundreds of videos and the yarn website have great how-tos, also. 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards