Wisconsin

what the?!?!? that is a large minimum- can you ask for lower?

okay. I don't want to seem like the biggest cheap-o ever. I can't believe the minimums that are out there in the Milwaukee area! We are having a 100 person reception. Not large by any stretch of the imagination and we are getting $8000 and above minimums. Then there are the "extra" charges that aren't put toward that minimum. Has anyone said that is too much... would you consider lowering that? ... or is that a big no- no?

I am spinning. I don't know what to do. I am thinking I am going to have to start looking at the Milwaukee county park system... which isn't horrible.. I just was hoping to get full-ish service and not do so much on our own.

*end rant*Foot in mouth

Re: what the?!?!? that is a large minimum- can you ask for lower?

• gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Have you looked at the Astor Hotel?

We also had about 100 people at our wedding.  We ended up at the Elm Grove Woman's Club.  We also considered the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center and the Milwaukee Public Market.  With that sort of headcount, it allows for some more unique venues that jsut can't fit 150+ people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • It never hurts to ask, but I would doubt they would waive their minimum.  They know someone else will likely come along and pay that minimum, no problem.  That being said, if you were within 3 months of the date you wanted, then I would think there would be more room for negotiation.

If you aren't set on the fanciest hotels in downtown Milwaukee, there are plenty of venues out there that have much lower minimums, especially in the surrounding communities.  My reception venue is at a golf course and rental is $325 and includes bartenders (hire your own caterer).  It's a bit more work hiring a food service outside of the venue, but worth it if you're looking to save $$.
  • SweetB7SweetB7 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    We had a minimum that was set when we toured our venue. While talking to the event coordinator I asked him which time of the year and which dates could possibly lower that minimum; he was more than happy to accommodate and let us know which dates (around our preferred season) that could be docked a few thousand, due to being an "off season". This also made the room rental go down a couple hundred as well. It is definitely worth asking about. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aroufusaroufus member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_what-the-that-is-a-large-minimum-can-you-ask-for-lower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:c81cf75f-b607-4009-8c6a-c704d045da66Post:52529d6d-da68-44f0-ad0f-a2d5aa1aad4d">Re: what the?!?!? that is a large minimum- can you ask for lower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It never hurts to ask, but I would doubt they would waive their minimum.  They know someone else will likely come along and pay that minimum, no problem.  That being said, if you were within 3 months of the date you wanted, then I would think there would be more room for negotiation. If you aren't set on the fanciest hotels in downtown Milwaukee, there are plenty of venues out there that have much lower minimums, especially in the surrounding communities.  My reception venue is at a golf course and rental is $325 and includes bartenders (hire your own caterer).  It's a bit more work hiring a food service outside of the venue, but worth it if you're looking to save $$.
    Posted by rungirl12[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>what golf course are you using? </div>
  • I am at the Preserve at Deer Creek in New Berlin.  It only has capacity of 125, but that fit our needs!
  • Thanks for your ideas! I can't find a website for that golf course...

It is frustrating everytime I google wedding venues southeastern wisconsin.. etc.. that I get the same places over and over and over.

The Astor seems a bit too fancy for us.. we are looking for something a bit more laid back. I had SUCH HIGH HOPES for Sweet Water and then we went there. It was not good.
  • gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment

For more laid back (and pretty interesting, too) - check out The Urban Ecology Center (clicky).  Would work well for about 100 people.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • How near milwaukee do you want to be?
    I would NEVER pay that much!!! 

I had mine at Davians in men. falls (163 & silver spring) the place is beautiful, awesome staff and freaking delicious!!!

Their rates are 4K off season and 6K peak (180ish people, 2 kegs of beer, sit down dinner was around 5500)
    When I was searching venues I stayed out of downtown milwaukee, and never had a quote for over 6k (I had a march wedding). Good Luck :)
    Anniversary
    Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wisconsin_what-the-that-is-a-large-minimum-can-you-ask-for-lower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:118Discussion:c81cf75f-b607-4009-8c6a-c704d045da66Post:8d6de916-9fc6-4a72-8a78-77c085046136">Re: what the?!?!? that is a large minimum- can you ask for lower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your ideas! I can't find a website for that golf course...
    Posted by Casey54952[/QUOTE]

I came across a website for the first time about a week ago (prior I just knew about it by word of mouth), but now I can't find it so they may be working on getting it up and running - they just changed ownership not too long ago.  The events coordinator is now, TJ, who I have yet to meet as I worked with someone else months ago.  I can give you add'l details via PM, or give them a call at 262-784-9779.
  • $8k is RIDICULOUS for that small of a wedding.

We're having our reception at The Quilted Bear in Germantown, WI. It's laid back but pretty and the room min for our room (250 capacity) is $4k for fridays, 6k for saturdays. We're having 214 guests.  Our deposit and gratuity all count towards the room minimum too and the girls there are AWESOME to work with :)

Here's the info for the smaller room:

The Koala Room features seating area for up to 150 guests, a built in and fully stocked private bar, as well as a 650 square ft. wooden dance floor.  The use of our sound system, projection screen, and 17 acres of beautiful grounds is also complimentary.  This room does have a facility charge and minimum purchase requirement.  For a Saturday evening, there is a $500 facility charge, and a $4,000 minimum.  For a Friday or Sunday evening, there is a $300 facility charge and a $3,000 minimum.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards