Not Engaged Yet

What would you do?

My boss realized that in November someone is going to have to start working until 5 every day. I am technically the only one who can without hiring someone else. Right now I work 7-4 Mon-Thur and 7-3 Fri. He wants me to work 7-5 Mon-Fri from November to June then September through to the next June. From June-end of August I would have off one day every week. Our phones begin to ring at 7am and stop at 5pm before the automatic voice mail picks up. Office hours are 7-5.

So that's 39 wks working OT on a Salary position and 13 wks only working 38 hours. How do I bring it up to my boss that those  39 weeks I am technically taking a $3-$4/hr pay cut
($200 a month)?

Re: What would you do?

• I would just tell him. Say you were thinking about the extended hours and something seemed off so you ran the numbers. And show him the math you did in very simple terms. Hopefully, he'll just check it over, and figure out how to make it work. If not, then tell him that you would prefer to either move to a compressed work schedule, during which you would work 9 hour days, but get one day off every other week, or you'd like to be paid the OT and hourly you are entitled to as part of your current position.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I've been sitting here all day trying to think of how to bring it up. I know his options are limited based on no one else being able to work until 5 because of kids and second jobs.

• If there are other people starting work at 7am, can't you start at 8am and work a standard 40 hour week? That sounds totally fair to me.
  • Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean that you automatically have to take those hours. I'd offer (if possible) to a 9-5 position for you, so you have full time hours; or something along those lines. Maybe you can do what my last office did and the employees rotated (each girl took on day/week to stay until 5)
    Praying for a miracle!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:90b5a624-8f2f-4dae-b440-e80fe7c8a99ePost:d4cbd545-2c58-4a59-b9f4-a2d7336f1bcc">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean that you automatically have to take those hours. </strong>I'd offer (if possible) to a 9-5 position for you, so you have full time hours; or something along those lines. Maybe you can do what my last office did and the employees rotated (each girl took on day/week to stay until 5)
    Posted by mandi195[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS. Also, just because the auto-answering machine thingy starts picking up at 5, doesn't mean you'll get to walk out the door at 5. If the phone rings at 4:59, you'll need to answer it, and depending on how long the call is, won't be leaving at 5. </div><div>
    </div><div>I wouldn't point out the descrepancy in your pay wage, because if you're salary, then there may be an expectation that you occasionally work >40 hours. But I would definitely have a problem if I was expected to work more/different hours just because I don't have children. Ask that there be a rotating schedule and definitely look to alter your start times if your end time changes. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:90b5a624-8f2f-4dae-b440-e80fe7c8a99ePost:f55e0813-0f37-4eda-99e2-d2e2b3eb8d29">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : THIS. Also, just because the auto-answering machine thingy starts picking up at 5, doesn't mean you'll get to walk out the door at 5. <strong>If the phone rings at 4:59, you'll need to answer it, and depending on how long the call is, won't be leaving at 5</strong>.  I wouldn't point out the descrepancy in your pay wage, because if you're salary, then there may be an expectation that you occasionally work >40 hours. But I would definitely have a problem if I was expected to work more/different hours just because I don't have children. Ask that there be a rotating schedule and definitely look to alter your start times if your end time changes. 
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]<div>This happens to me all the time with clients, it's the most annoying thing.  I would bring up the discrepancy.

</div>

Anniversary

• Couldn't you do a four day work week since you're working 40 hrs Monday thru Thursday? I can't believe they would just expect you to do that! I understand you're salary but by asking you to be the only one in the office to do an extra 39 hrs a week is completely disrespectful. I agree with PP. Could they rotate it so other people do it too?
  • I think taking a pay cut because you don't have kids or a second job is kind of harsh. It definitely shouldn't be automatically you. I'd either show him the numbers, or ask if the schedule can be changed around. 
    I work 8-5.30, with an hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks (one in am, one in pm) so I'm not on overtime. From my pov the breaks are kind of sucky as I often don't get the entire time because things come up, and it's not like it's enough time to leave the office and do something.
    Maybe you could come in at 8? Or take two hours for lunch? If there's other people in the office then those time should be able to be covered. 
  • I come in at 7 since the phones start ringing. No one else is "available" to come in that early and I've been doing it since my boss and I left his old partnership. One lady has to get her daughter off to school and then be there to pick her up from the afterschool program by 4:30. One lady works 8-1 and would quit on the spot if she was asked to work more since she could technically retire now. Another girl is the bosses daughter and only works 8:45-3:45 but also works for the drama department at one of the high schools here, and the last girl is strictly 25 hours a week that works at David's Bridal at 4 til close so she doesn't come in until 9.

I get your point of having to stay past 5 if the phone rings or someone comes in. I am trying to figure out a way to talk to the bossman to get a bigger raise or huge bonus or something to compensate the difference.

Fizzle- I barely take a lunch now. I eat here and read or something since I don't go out for lunch and would rather not spend the money on shopping or something during that time. Also, they are not the same time every day due to other people just leaving (bosses daughter, the new girl, you know the ones that barely work but think it is okay to leave for lunch 2-3 hours after they just got there and then go home another 2-3 hours after that).

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:90b5a624-8f2f-4dae-b440-e80fe7c8a99ePost:79cf5dcf-dd4b-4f0d-992c-7cf7fa255672">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [Quote]... Also, they are not the <strong>same time every day due to other people just leaving (bosses daughter, the new girl, you know the ones that barely work but think it is okay to leave for lunch 2-3 hours after they just got there and then go home another 2-3 hours after that).</strong>
    Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]
     This would drive me up the wall...personally speaking unless you absolutely <strong>LOVE, </strong> <strong>LOVE, </strong><strong>LOVE </strong>your job I'd be tightening up my resume, given the job market I wouldn't just walk out but I'd put myself back on the market. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:90b5a624-8f2f-4dae-b440-e80fe7c8a99ePost:86a25d71-b6fa-4f37-bcd4-01eda8cab2a7">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : [Quote]... Also, they are not the same time every day due to other people just leaving (bosses daughter, the new girl, you know the ones that barely work but think it is okay to leave for lunch 2-3 hours after they just got there and then go home another 2-3 hours after that). Posted by Stina51286[/QUOTE]  <strong>This would drive me up the wall...personally speaking unless you absolutely LOVE,  LOVE,  LOVE your job I'd be tightening up my resume, given the job market I wouldn't just walk out but I'd put myself back on the market. </strong>
    Posted by rusngl2[/QUOTE]

FI just called about a half hour ago. He was meeting with HR of his company updating his driving file since they are going to finally realize he has a CDL and pay him more. They were talking and she was asking when we were getting married and asking what I do. Apparently they are hiring for a paralegal position. I've applied with their company before so I just had to update my information on their site and change some things on my cover letter and sent it on over. So we'll see. I know their benefits are better and they typically pay more. I also wouldn't see him at all since he'd be on the road all day and I would work at corporate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards