North Carolina-Outer Banks

Beach wedding colors?

Can some of you ladies tell me what color combinations you used for your OBX beach weddings?

I am stuck between a jade and purple theme or teal and coral/orange.

Anyone do any colors similar to this? My one bridesmaid made a comment that the jade and purple remind her of the joker from batman. A little offended, but here are some pinterest pics that gave me the inspiration for jade and purple:

http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911172189/

http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911162212/

http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911157196/

http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911162215/

For the teal/orange or coral:
http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911166211/
http://pinterest.com/pin/538532067911172201/

This one bridesmaid keeps saying I should make the bridesmaid dresses a light blue, since it's a May wedding. Thing is, light blue does not compliment me well and I want to have the bridesmaid colors and flowers be colors that compliment me. I have auburn hair and hazel eyes. Teals, greens and purples compliment me. Pastels do not. And then this bridesmaid made a comment saying the jade/teal and purple remind her of the joker and she thinks I should make the bridesmaid dresses light blue with a mocha colored sash. I feel a little offended.

So what colors did you ladies use for your beach weddings? If I had a little back up, like that other brides used similar colors, I think I'd feel a little more confident in defending my color choices. Really liking the jade and purple and saw beautiful pics on the Coleman shots website of a bride whose bridesmaids had teal/jade dresses with purple lining. It was so bright and beautiful.

Please help!!
Thanks!

Re: Beach wedding colors?

• jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Do not let yourself feel bullied by other people when it comes to choosing your colors.  You're right in going for colors that compliment YOU; afterall you're going to be standing next to LOTS of whatever color you choose, so you want to pick something that will look good in pics against your features (and the things you're attracted to).

The moderator of this board used teal and orange.  And I think the jade/purple are very pretty together (I seriously don't understand your BMs rude "joker" comment at all).  The blues and purples were actually my second choice for colors - I ended up going with raspberry pink and peach/coral - not what most people pick for beach weddings, but the saturated color of the girls' dresses stood out so well against the sand/water... much more so than pale blues (I think the girls fade away way too much in pastel colors on the bright beach, but that's just my opinion).

Regardless, go with your gut instinct.  I think both options are great, and your bridesmaids can pick blue and mocha for their wedding if they like it so much.  If you start listening to them now (or asking for advice too much), you'll never hear the end of it.  It's your day!
    image June 22, 2012
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    I used an array of colors but my main ones were hot pink/pale yellow/orange.  We also used turquiose in places.  Personally I think the colors that you are thinking of and other bright colors like I used are more "beachy."  Alot of the girls and guys here used or are using bright colors.

I know Charlene (OBX2011) used teal/coral combo but she is in DC right now celebrating her anniversary.  When she gets back I'm sure she will be more than happy to share.

My friend had a sky blue/brown combo and while it was very pretty, she got married in December and I always think of that combo as a "wintery" theme. 

I would pick what you and your fiance want for your wedding, and kindly tell your bridemaid that when she gets married, she can pick whatever colors she wants. 

ETA:  I totally did not see Jen's post before posting so sorry for the similar reply!
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • I used a pale blue and white for my colors, but it was my choice and not my bridesmaids.  Both color combos are fabulous, so you could go with either or.  I personally do not think of the Joker at all with these colors.  Go with what your heart says, both are great!  
  • Thanks ladies! And yes, I was very hurt by what my bridesmaid said. It almost feels as if she's trying to make me mad. Not really understanding this. I posted a few weeks about her being extremely miserable while out shopping for bridesmaid dresses and refusing to try on dresses, responding with "No, I'm good." when we told her there was a dressing room open full of dresses. It was really awkward. When I asked her later if anything was wrong and was she okay she just responded "I'm good." and then a few days ago I get the random text saying the jade and purple remind her of the joker. Like, wow.. just..wow. It's not even like I asked for her opinion on colors, either. She just randomly texted me this. So frustrated and really not sure how to handle her. It almost feels as though she wants a way out of being in my wedding and she's purposely trying to make me mad or something. I don't know. I have to choose my response to her words carefully.

Thanks so much for the help. I agree that the bright colors will most likely pop more than the light blue. I think the light blue and mocha will just make everyone look washed out. It's TOO similar to what the backdrop (ocean and sand) will be! Although Mandafite I'm sure your colors were beautiful. I think those colors can look good on certain skin tones, as well. For my girls, I don't think it will. Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • Definitely sounds like your BM is being difficult for no reason. I had a BM like that my first wedding, actually it was my MOH. She ruined our dress shopping day to the point where I was nearly in tears. After all was said and done, our friendship ended after 20 years. I later found out all the issues and difficulties she caused was because she didn't support my marriage. 

The colors are your choice and do what makes you happy. Your BM's are supposed to make things easier and more enjoyable for you. I'm personally using turquoise with creams and burlap for my colors, but I loved the corals and purples/jade. As long as you're happy, then go with it. Also, you may want to consider having a serious talk with your BM and figure out what's really going on with her. 

Good luck girlie and just be confident in your choices :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I also agree with all the other replies - pick what colors YOU want :)  

My colors are navy/coral/light pink/white/tan (burlap accents) and I had a few comments about "having too many colors" and that "navy dresses won't look good at the beach - why don't you pick a bright color".  I like all of those colors together though and I think navy will be fine for a September wedding.  

I always appreciate feedback from my friends & BM's but at the end of the day, I think the bride should go with her own instinct!  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:c0e67155-41b0-4c00-a2cb-726d8eab579aPost:b1d59379-9aca-4b9c-906e-85dcd85dff81">Re: Beach wedding colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do not let yourself feel bullied by other people when it comes to choosing your colors.  You're right in going for colors that compliment YOU; afterall you're going to be standing next to LOTS of whatever color you choose, so you want to pick something that will look good in pics against your features (and the things you're attracted to). The moderator of this board used teal and orange.  And I think the jade/purple are very pretty together (I seriously don't understand your BMs rude "joker" comment at all).  The blues and purples were actually my second choice for colors - I ended up going with raspberry pink and peach/coral - not what most people pick for beach weddings, but the saturated color of the girls' dresses stood out so well against the sand/water... much more so than pale blues (I think the girls fade away way too much in pastel colors on the bright beach, but that's just my opinion). Regardless, go with your gut instinct.  I think both options are great, and your bridesmaids can pick blue and mocha for their wedding if they like it so much.  If you start listening to them now (or asking for advice too much), you'll never hear the end of it.  It's your day!
    Posted by jendem8[/QUOTE]

Agree with all of this! Pick your colors and stick with it! Don't worry what everyone else says b/c there will always be someone that just can't resist opening their mouth ;)

I used teal & tangerine with khaki & white accents and loved how the colors popped against one another!  The girls gowns were teal and they carried orange asiaticlilies and it was so pretty :)

• I remember you posting now about that ordeal with your bridesmaid.  I only had 2 bridemaids, but one of them constantly made little digs at the things I chose.  Her comments consisted of, "Well for my wedding, I am not having you wear a dress like this" (to which I responded, I will wear whatever you want for YOUR wedding) "These dresses make us look pregnant" (they did not) "I am so glad we are going back to the hotel now, I wasn't going to say anything, but I am not having a good time, and I am ready to be done." (at my bachelorette party) "Your father-in-law is wearing THAT to your wedding?"  At first, everything she said really hurt my feelings, but by the end of it, I just ignored her.  I think most of the girls here will tell you that weddings bring out the true colors of people.  While I know my best friend would do anything for me, I also know that she is not happy with her life right now, and in turn she tends to find what she thinks is wrong with everyone else.  While your friend might be going through something like my friend still is, it does not mean you can compromise your wedding for her.  You stick with your heart, and pick the colors you love.  This day is a reflection of you and your husband to be, and no one else gets a say but the two of you :)  

P.S Let us know what colors you pick, and post pics of your BM dresses, we all love pics!!! lol!
  • I am going with a grey / light yellow color for my April 2013 wedding.

And what everyone else said...it's YOUR day, so pick the colors that will make you happy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:c0e67155-41b0-4c00-a2cb-726d8eab579aPost:586a44d5-2067-44f8-bb6f-8a0a401d74d0">Re: Beach wedding colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I remember you posting now about that ordeal with your bridesmaid.  I only had 2 bridemaids, but one of them constantly made little digs at the things I chose.  Her comments consisted of, "Well for my wedding, I am not having you wear a dress like this" (to which I responded, I will wear whatever you want for YOUR wedding) "These dresses make us look pregnant" (they did not) "I am so glad we are going back to the hotel now, I wasn't going to say anything, but I am not having a good time, and I am ready to be done." (at my bachelorette party) "Your father-in-law is wearing THAT to your wedding?"  At first, everything she said really hurt my feelings, but by the end of it, I just ignored her.  I think most of the girls here will tell you that weddings bring out the true colors of people.  While I know my best friend would do anything for me, I also know that she is not happy with her life right now, and in turn she tends to find what she thinks is wrong with everyone else.  While your friend might be going through something like my friend still is, it does not mean you can compromise your wedding for her.  You stick with your heart, and pick the colors you love.  This day is a reflection of you and your husband to be, and no one else gets a say but the two of you :)   P.S Let us know what colors you pick, and post pics of your BM dresses, we all love pics!!! lol!
    Posted by mandafite821[/QUOTE]

I asked her the other day if anything was going on and told her that if anything is going on, I am here for her. She just responded "No, nothing is going on. I thought you wanted our opinions." and I said "I don't mind suggestions, but what you said was pretty hurtfull." All of my other bridesmaids have been so supportive. This one, I just don't know what's going on! She has never been like this. I'll give her one more chance, because I'm starting to question our friendship at this point. She hasn't contacted me at all either. I will let you all know what colors I end up going with! Thanks for the advice!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:c0e67155-41b0-4c00-a2cb-726d8eab579aPost:07601da9-4108-4e7b-aa7a-240cb7e01f5d">Re: Beach wedding colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely sounds like your BM is being difficult for no reason. I had a BM like that my first wedding, actually it was my MOH. She ruined our dress shopping day to the point where I was nearly in tears. After all was said and done, our friendship ended after 20 years. I later found out all the issues and difficulties she caused was because she didn't support my marriage.  The colors are your choice and do what makes you happy. Your BM's are supposed to make things easier and more enjoyable for you. I'm personally using turquoise with creams and burlap for my colors, but I loved the corals and purples/jade. As long as you're happy, then go with it. Also, you may want to consider having a serious talk with your BM and figure out what's really going on with her.  Good luck girlie and just be confident in your choices :)
    Posted by Buttercup0320[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your advice. I think something is going on with her and she's just not telling me. I asked her if anything is going on and she denied it. I told her I was there for her if she needed anything. Your colors sound beautiful! I originally wanted to do a turquoise color with gold accents. Maybe I should still try to go with that. Thanks for the advice, though!
  • missm810missm810 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:598Discussion:c0e67155-41b0-4c00-a2cb-726d8eab579aPost:810b5878-9735-4bbb-887d-a8e83e5b2194">Re: Beach wedding colors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beach wedding colors? : Agree with all of this! Pick your colors and stick with it! Don't worry what everyone else says b/c there will always be someone that just can't resist opening their mouth ;) I used teal & tangerine with khaki & white accents and loved how the colors popped against one another!  The girls gowns were teal and they carried orange asiaticlilies and it was so pretty :)
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]
    I saw pictures on the Coleman shots website (which is who I'm going with for my photographer) and there are pics of bridesmaids in teal dresses with orange and white flowers and I absolutely loved it. That's not your wedding by any chance, is it? It absolutely pops! Thanks for your advice!
  • We are doing eggplant and lime green accents for our colors. My girls will all be wearing J. Crew deep eggplant silk chiffon dresses and the men will be wearing lime green ties with light blue shirts and khakis!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards