Offbeat Weddings

year later reception

My husband and I eloped on 1/1/11.  We are planning on having a reception on 12/31/11.  We want to renew our vows in front of all of our family and  friends as well.  Basically have our wedding, just a year after being married.  We are going to do what we want to do but I was wondering other people's thoughts on this. 

Re: year later reception

• As long as your up front and everyone knows its a vow renewal (as opposed to your actual wedding, which was 1/11/11), then most people don't have a problem. 

Also, many people have standing NYE plans and may decline your invitation. For those that have to travel, prices are usually extra high on hotel rooms that night, so that's another thing to consider. Also, most venues will charge you a premium to rent on that night. Also, if you are having it in the evening, I would expect that the party would go on past midnight. A NYE reception might end up costing you double what you would pay if you had it a weekend or two later (closer to your actual 1 year aniversary)

Just some thoughts for you to consider....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_year-later-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:afe071ce-dbdf-46c4-a3f4-2c7ab20007b4Post:f268ba46-64bf-49a0-8b20-2680b90eeb3b">year later reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I eloped on 1/1/11.  We are planning on having a reception on 12/31/11.  We want to renew our vows in front of all of our family and  friends as well.  Basically have our wedding, just a year after being married.  We are going to do what we want to do but I was wondering other people's thoughts on this. 
    Posted by londonbridges22[/QUOTE]
     LilMissScareAll said it well. <div>
    </div><div>It's not your wedding. You already had a wedding and congratulations! As long as you are honest with your guests then most people are cool with vow renewals.<div>
    </div><div>Also, I'm glad you came around and decided to post on the boards, but if you're going to to do whatever you want anyway, why ask? It comes across as uppity.</div></div>
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • First of all, congrats on your marriage!  Your vow renewal sounds like it will be a fun time!  Like LilMissScareAll said, the logistics may be difficult because of New Years Eve, but if you can get past those hurdles, it could be a great event!

If you are interested in the etiquette of vow renewals, here is the low down about what a lot of the ladies on the etiquette board say: no big white dress (you can still do something fun and awesome, they just say no big poufy wedding dress), no first dance, no garter/bouquet toss, no pre-wedding parties like bachelorette parties and showers.  And, the biggest faux pas of them all, make sure you don't lie to guests and say you're not married yet (it sounds like your family and friends already know about your marriage, so this is probably not an issue). Those are the basics from the etiquette stand point.  But, I always say, gauge your guests for their reactions if you did any of these things, because you know your guests best. 

Again, congrats and good luck with your planning!  :)
    "It starts out all very nice, two people promising to be together forever, I'll die when you die, my life meant nothing until you used my toothbrush. Then you start planning the wedding. Aunt Junie's allergic to milk. Uncle Momo's off his meds..."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_year-later-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:afe071ce-dbdf-46c4-a3f4-2c7ab20007b4Post:e361cfd3-6781-4cae-af2f-400e1c7b1264">Re: year later reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as your up front and everyone knows its a vow renewal (as opposed to your actual wedding, which was 1/11/11), then most people don't have a problem.
    Posted by LilMissScareAll[/QUOTE]
    This exactly.  As long as they all know that it's a vow renewal so that they can share in your joy (which they "missed" when you eloped) you're all set.  As LilMissScareAll said, NYE is a very expensive time of year to do it - and there are people like me who have a standing NYE tradition - but if that's what you want I say go for it.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • everyone else gave good advice...just ditto-ing what's been said.
  • If you are going to do it, start now! Things book up for New Year's Eve FAST. I mean everything, venues, Food, Drinks, music. Ect. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • You eloped the day we got engaged!  :)

I agree that you should be up-front with the guests.  But other than that, I think doing some wedding traditions at the party are fine. Yep, Etiquette Board would disagree.  If your guests are more laid back, you have more room to incorporate some of the wedding traditions. 

I think the biggest faux pas is if guests get the impression that they should bring gifts.  As long as the event doesn't come across that way, you should be fine.  Having said that, even if you tell them you don't want gifts/a shower/a bachelorette party, some people are gonna do it for you anyways. 
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards