Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Card Box Security: Haaaaalp!

I am beginning to work on DIY projects, and I've been thinking heavily about card boxes. In particular, the security of a card box in my reception venue (Varsity Theater).

When we toured the venue, it was set up for a wedding, with the gift table near the front entrance (the front entrance is along 4th Street in Dinkytown, across the street from the Library Bar... quite a bit of foot traffic on a Saturday night in October). I don't really worry about someone walking in and taking our gifts, but the card box seems like something someone might nab. (I don't think there is front-door security... and if there is, it's not like a stranger needs to show an invite for admission.)

First I considered using The Perfect Card Box because it has a lock, but seriously? It's made of wood. It's not like a hammer wouldn't shatter the thing.

Then I thought about doing one of those giant boxes - the three-level tower of gifts type of boxes - because it would be really conspicuous to walk out the door carrying one of those.

Then I thought about moving the gift table to the interior of the venue (see my totally sweet map below) so that my DOC will be able to keep an eye on it.

What do you think? Does anyone have any ideas for me? Am I being paranoid?

Photo: Studio 306
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Card Box Security: Haaaaalp!

• edited December 2011
    I am familiar with that area, and I do not think I'd leave it by the front door, unless you would have someone watching it. I am putting a person at my gift table, so our box doesn't wander off.  I know this person, and totally trust them. So that's my thought.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely move the gift table to the interior of the venue.  The giant card box is a good idea, too.  In addition to being more difficult to walk off with, it would be easier to keep an eye on.  Good luck!
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some venues have a required security guard you have to hire for the liquor license.  If that's the case, you could just leave things there.  Have you talked to the coordinator about this?  They might have some advice for you - you can't be the first one to be concerned about this there!  Otherwise if you're still uncomfortable with the cardbox up front, I'd just move it to the back/interior of the reception area.  (Sweet map is RIGHT!)
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the perfect card box and loved it.  Yes, you could break it with a hammer, but I think that guests would notice someone smashing it to pieces.  And if you're concerned about them being able to walk off and smash it, well, a crook can get into just about anything!  I would move the gift table to the back of the room.  You could even ask a trusted friend or venue manager to remove the cards after most of the guests arrive and keep them in the back.  That way, if someone does wonder off with it, you don't lose all your cards.  Just be sure to get them back from the venue after!
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And to build off hkiesling's post, you'll probably clear the gifts and put them either in a locked back room or the trunk of a car about an hour to two hours after the reception starts - typically the gift table is cleared just after dinner/never stays up all night.  HTH
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    I would move it in as far away from the door as possible.  Thats what I am doing, plus I am haveing  my moms friends sit at the table closet to the gift table so she can watch it.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Phew! Thanks for the advice - I will plan on having the gift table closer to the reception area and clear it off a few hours in. Thanks so much!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

DH's cousin screwed hers on a piece of plywood and then attached the plywood with c clamps to the table!  It was a bit extreme but worked perfectly for a venue very similar to the Varsity.  She just wrapped it with a table cloth so you couldn't see that is was clamped down. 

Just another thought!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards