Wedding Etiquette Forum

Depositing checks after wedding

Hi Ladies,

I live in an area where checks are a common wedding present, and FI and I assume we will have a number of them to deposit after the wedding.

We are marrying on a Saturday night and departing for our HM before banking hours on Monday.  I assumed we would just deposit the checks after the HM. But, I realized my bank has a branch with Sunday hours right up the road from the hotel where we will be spending our wedding night. 

We will have plenty of time on Sunday to make the deposit.  I think it is safer than leaving the checks until we return from our HM a week later, but I am worried if it is appropriate to deposit the checks the day after the wedding.

Am I overthinking this or is it a tacky move?
Thank you!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Depositing checks after wedding

• It's totally fine to deposit them right away but you might not be able to if they are addressed to you and him with his last name.  I couldn't deposit any checks to Mr. and Mrs. Hislastname or Mrs. Me Hislastname until I officially changed my name with my bank, and that was weeks later when I finally got the certified marriage certificate from our Clerk's Office.

So before you waste a trip, you should contact your bank and ask if they'll let you deposit them if they have his last name on them.  Or go ahead and put his name on the account now so you can deposit them as his maybe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited June 2010
    Overthinking.  Sorry - I got a phone call as I was typing this. I had no problem at all depositing checks into my bank even with my married name prior to the wedding and name change - I used the ATM (I also bank with a larger bank).

That wasn't meant to be a blunt answer. Some people HAVE had trouble with it, but via the ATM, I never had a problem.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • You're overthinking. If I wrote a check as a wedding gift, I'd much rather it be deposited the day after than deposited a week after. There's nothing wrong with depositing the checks quickly after you get them, IMO.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • so long as he endorses the check over to you on the back, or you just write "for deposit only and your acct number" you should be able to deposit a check written in his and your name.

It is not tacky to deposit the checks on Sunday.  I'd be worried leaving for a week without depositing them, too.
  • I think you are overthinging it, i dont think people would check their account and think that it was deposited soon. I rather you take out the money sooner then later
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the advice!  I believe everything will go smoothly with the deposit- last week changed our accounts to joint accounts (which was an awesome feeling, BTW. It may be unromantic, but it was such a great sign of commitment as neither of us have ever done that before.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_depositing-checks-after-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7a8f02a3-d7ff-4bbc-b47f-4c85aeeb7ab2Post:99dc9f6c-0bfe-4f9d-b734-0c53bbaa9140">Re: Depositing checks after wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much for the advice!  I believe everything will go smoothly with the deposit- last week changed our accounts to joint accounts (which was an awesome feeling, BTW. It may be unromantic, but it was such a great sign of commitment as neither of us have ever done that before.)
    Posted by mrsredmoose[/QUOTE]

Having a joint account isn't the issue. The issue is that many people will write the checks to Mr. and Mrs. HisLastName, which you won't have yet.
    To avoid having issues depositing these checks, don't sign them, just do what a pp suggested and write 'for deposit only' on the back with the acct number.
    imageimageimage
  • I have not had problems depositing checks with my name misspelled, etc.

Why do you have to be at the bank during banking hours?  You can't deposit them in the ATM?

But I agree that I'd rather have you cash my check ASAP than a week later.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Thanks for the "for deposit only advice."  I am leaning towards not changing my name, so I hope to avoid any issues with checks to Mr. and Mrs..

Msmerymac, I'd feel more comfortable depositing them with a teller and receiving a receipt.   
  • It's fine to deposit them right away.

I've been married twice and had no problems depositing any checks into joint accounts. We both endorsed all checks. I didn't change my name but about half the checks came to Mr. and Mrs. hisname. In those cases I wrote my name as first mylast hislast even though such a person didn't exist.

I guess it varies by bank how much of a pain they're going to be about it.
  • i would not do this and here is why.

if you have money in that account that you plan to access during your HM, the bank may put a hold on the account funds that are available until the checks clear which may take a few days.  they do this incase a check bounces, and it is possible that someone may inadvertently write you a bad check because they dont know how to balance.

i would leave the checks with a trusted relative or locked in your safe if you have one until you return.  we then took all of the checks to the banks tehy wre drawn on and cashed them, then depositied the cash into our account. that way we avoided any holds and avoided having any issues with bounced checkss.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards