Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

waiting a week for honeymoon?

Hello! Wanted to get some opinions on this; we just realized the date we wanted to have our wedding on won't work because it is the day before easter. So we were thinking of pushing our wedding to a week earlier; but then we would have to wait a week before going on our honemoon (i'm in nursing school).   We would save a lot of money getting married in march, and maybe be able to afford a nice venue, but i'm not sure how i feel about waiting a week before going on our honeymoon. 

Any thoughts? 

Re: waiting a week for honeymoon?

• Does it really matter when you go on your honeymoon? My fiance and I are getting married in August, he is a doctor so he rarely has any time off. We are planning a honeymoon for the winter after we marry. There is no rule that says you must take a honeymoon right after you get married. I had a friend get married in March, her husband works with my fiance, they didn't get to take their honeymoon until July. Not everyone has jobs where they can take off a lot of time at once. Just take your honeymoon when it is convenient.
  • We waited a year to go on ours.  Had we gone immediately after our wedding it would have been a waste.  We were so exhausted from the wedding itself, we did nothing but sleep the week afterwards.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • We plan on waiting several months to go on our honeymoon -- it'll take that long to save up money and time off from work to do something really fun.  I think this is becoming more and more common.

I'm getting married on Easter weekend this year.  It hasn't really been too hard to plan, but you'll want to make sure your officiant is okay with it (ours is, but only because I'm in the military and we're traveling home from overseas for the wedding).  Some vendors we looked at weren't interested in working on Easter Weekend (it's the bible belt after all), but others were totally fine with it.   While all of our close family is able to make it on Easter weekend, one of my fiance's good friends can't because he has family/church commitments he can't miss.   Just some things to think about:-)
    DSC_9275
  • I know a lot of couples who have gone a few days later, a few weeks later, or even a few months later-- because of scheduling, finances, etc. It's totally okay.
    Anniversary
  • My friends got married in Jan 2010, and are just now having their HM this year.  The H is an officer in the USAF and got deployed twice in the last year, so the date kept getting pushed back.  They also had a baby last year (right before their 1-year anniversary).

When FI and I get married, we probably won't go on the HM until a couple of years from now because I'm going into the Air Force and if I get the job I want, I will be in tech school for 18 months. 

After wedding planning and everything, we probably won't have money left over to go on a HM right away anyways.

knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • I think we're waiting 1-2 years go to on a big honeymoon.
  • We are getting married on a Saturday and leaving on our honeymoon the following Thursday because I don't have vacation time so I cannot take a full week off work. We figure maybe for our 5 or 10 year anniversary we'll go on a nice cruise or to the beach for a week.
  • We're not going to London until 7 months after the wedding -- we won't have any vacay time left for 2012 after our wedding (and a big trip to Vieques for his uncles' wedding this year)

It's no problem at all to wait for your honeymoon!
    Lizzie
  • If we had the money, we'd leave for our honeymoon about a week after the wedding. We wanted the time to go home and decompress a little from the wedding, pack our things, etc.

That being said, we don't have the money, so we won't be going on our honeymoon for at least 3-6 months after our wedding, and I'm just fine with that. We're still planning to take a few days off of work post wedding and have a stay-cation. Relax in our apartment and buy a few livingsocial.com deals in our city for dinner, massages, etc. The point of a honeymoon isn't about traveling immediately after your wedding, its about spending time with each other, no matter when and where it happens.

• We got married in September.  We leave for our honeymoon in 2 weeks!
    Anniversary
  • Definitely not an issue.  In my fiance's heritage (he's Polish), it is quite common to delay a couple of days before leaving because there is the traditional brunch the next morning where the couple opens their presents in front of family and friends.  I am sure that when we start planning all of our details we will be delaying leaving for our honeymoon until at least the Monday if not later.
  • We are waiting about a week after the wedding. It gives us time to pack and unwind after the big day!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_waiting-week-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:0eaab9ce-acb5-4f9f-8757-6986ca37786dPost:ff676156-088a-4a61-8c6f-fd380d6af829">Re: waiting a week for honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If we had the money, we'd leave for our honeymoon about a week after the wedding. We wanted the time to go home and decompress a little from the wedding, pack our things, etc. That being said, we don't have the money, so we won't be going on our honeymoon for at least 3-6 months after our wedding, and I'm just fine with that. We're still planning to take a few days off of work post wedding and have a stay-cation. Relax in our apartment and buy a few livingsocial.com deals in our city for dinner, massages, etc. The point of a honeymoon isn't about traveling immediately after your wedding, its about spending time with each other, no matter when and where it happens.
    Posted by gsg717[/QUOTE]

Love this!
    Were waiting a while after our wedding too.  FI is starting school and won't be on break right away.  Plus my work schedule won't work leaving right away.
  • We waited 3 days before leaving and it was a whirlwind.  I would say go for the week.  Use it to relax, finish any packing, open and write down your gifts.  If you have TY cards, get a jump start on them.
  • We are both teachers and our wedding is the weekend before we are done with school. So we are finishing up that week before going on our honeymoon! It doesn't matter when it happens as long as you get to be with your new spouse!
    Anniversary
  • MsLindseySueMsLindseySue member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012

We are getting married on Memorial Day weekend and honeymoon-ing in early September.  That's just what worked out with the schedules for our families and what we wanted to do for the honeymoon. 

• Definitely okay! And as my future FIL pointed out, many cruises (for cruise honeymoons) don't leave until weekends. So if you get married on a Saturday, most likely you would have to wait until the following weekend anyway! No biggie.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were so exhausted right after our wedding. I could have slept for 3 days straight. Putting the honeymoon off for a week will be a blessing, I think. It will give you time to rest before you go and time to get organized. I would suggest doing it that way.
  • We married at the beginning of July.  Our honeymoon is slated for Jan 20 - 28.  We'd originally planned a European honeymoon for the spring, but decided to travel sooner and go to the Caribbean in the winter.  Ahhh ....
  • Lots of good ideas here! I love the stay cation idea for now and a trip later down the road. FI's three kids are going to summer camp the weekend after our wedding and we are planning a kayak adventure in our home state.
  • I'm starting to think waiting for the honeymoon might be the nicest idea.  I've been to a wedding where the following day out of town guests and family came to one of the parents houses for lunch and to share in the opening of the gifts.  I think it's nice to visit with people who have travelled for your special day and pushing your honeymoon lets you save money between the wedding and honeymoon.  My fiance and I are getting married in the fall so I'm also liking the idea of waiting to go somewhere warm in the winter :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We haven't planned a honeymoon yet. We will need to start saving money again after the wedding to be able to afford something nice. It doesn't matter when yo take your honeymoon so long as it is something very special to you.
  • We are leaving for our honeymoon a week after the wedding. This gives us time to wind down, relax, and pack.

But most importantly, we will spend that week with family and relatives that have travelled from overseas for the wedding.

FI and I also live overseas, and don't see our famiies very often, so coming home for the wedding is very special, and we want to make the most of it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards