Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What age to kids 'count' as guests?

At what age do kids/infants/toddlers actually count on the guest list?  

We are currently at our limit on our guest list (max our venue can hold keeping comfort in mind) and we have about 6-9 guest that we would still like to invite.  I am not comfortable just inviting them and assuming that 9 people won't show.  On our list we have 6 kids under age 1 and 5 who are under age 4.  For catering we don't need to count kids under 4, but does that go for the overall guest list also? TIA 
MSP Boards Signature Challenge: You and Your Flower Girl Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What age to kids 'count' as guests?

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm sure different venues have different policies, but the way my venue handles it is that kids under five are free, and kids 5-12 are half price of the per head price. And vendor meals are discounted.

ETA: Crap, I read your question totally wrong. Sorry for the completely useless information.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Will they need chairs? I'd kind of assume that any kid over age 1 would need a chair (and that the parents would bring a booster seat).
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but I would guess that any children who needs a seat counts as a guest.  If they will sit on their parent's lap or in a baby carrier on the floor, they won't need to be counted towards tablespace. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You'll probably want to ask your venue, though. Some of the capacity limits are because of fire code (how many people can safely evacuate the building) versus how many tables they can fit in the room.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ditto Mery.  Check with your venue - they'll be the best people to ask.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If the capacity is based on how many people they can seat, then anybody who needs a chair has to count.  Kids under 6 months or so can probably stay in a carrier, but you might want to talk to the parents about whether they will want chairs for their kids.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_age-kids-count-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae9daf6e-8efa-4fcb-909d-ea870a556724Post:8f88e44c-307e-402f-b68a-cec605cb6916">Re: What age to kids 'count' as guests?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You'll probably want to ask your venue, though. Some of the capacity limits are because of fire code (how many people can safely evacuate the building) versus how many tables they can fit in the room.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I agree with the above. Its all about fire code.
  • Options
    I'm counting the little ones as guests for the count number of people in the room.  I may have some kids under 6 months at my wedding but they are still getting a "seat".  If they are being held the parents are still going to need space for the diaper bag and to maneuver.  If they are in a carrier I want the parents to have the option of putting the carrier on a chair.  If they want the carrier on the floor then the chair can be removed.  Just putting them on the floor by a table may put them in a walkway which isn't safe for anyone. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards