Delaware
Options

Old Pals-will they be at your wedding?

I know everyones situation is different but I was just wondering what everyone was doing about inviting old friends.

Before I met FH, I hung around a bunch of single friends like myself, we weren't the closest of friends and what I mean by that is we didn't know eachothers most intimate secrets(met them in my 20s) but we still shared alot of memorable times together. That was a little over two years ago and since meeting FH I've failed to stay in touch with all of them. Now with my wedding around the corner, I'm honustly feeling a little funny calling them for their addresses but a big part of me would like them to be there and I'd prefer not to get their addresses from the one friend that I do keep in touch with. Also, I believe if I never met FH, had a baby and moved to Delaware I'd still be in contact with them.  Any advice, thoughts, similar situations?

Thanks

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Old Pals-will they be at your wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I am having a whole bunch of old friends at our wedding.

Both FI and I will be 24 when we get married, and we will each have friends from HS at the wedding (in fact, several of them for me I have known all the way back to kindergarten; I was at both of their weddings).  Even though I lost touch with many of them (first because of college, then mostly because my medical issues really took ahold of my life, including depression which really pulled me away from them), they are all a really great bunch of people who are awesome and very understanding about my situation.  Even though I have only recently gotten back to hanging out with them (in fact, the one wedding was this past October, and was really the catalyst for me spending more time with them all), they are all loving and inviting.  I really wanted these people close to me there.

I will say this, though- I really picked and chose who was going to be there.  If they didn't hold a grudge against me, really reached out to me, and have always been loving to me, then I plan on including them.  I really had to make some hard decisions about who to put on the invite list; there were definitely a few that I wanted there, who I thought really mattered, but it took others to point out to me that they had not made an investment in my life, even if I had in theirs.  It was hard, but I had to make the decision. 

If you really see these people as worth it, then go for it.  If though they have not been truly invested in your life, then I would say you have to make the realistic (albeit hard) decision to include others who have made you (and your FI) a priority.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am inviting old friends.  Some of them I dont really talk to any more, but that's because of location and time, etc.  Its not that we had a falling out.

If you want to invite these girls, then go for it.  Maybe you can text/email them and say "hey, I'm getting married and I really want you to be there.  What is your address where I can send the invitation?"
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

This wasn't a question for me as much as it was for FI.  He was in a fraternity in college and was toying with the idea of inviting several of the guys to the wedding.  In the end, we were pressed for space, and he decided he hasn't kept in touch with many of them and won't be inviting them.  That is, except for the one he does keep in touch with who is actually his best man.

I think what was difficult for him is that being in a fraternity, he assumed these people were going to be friends for life and always envisioned them being at his wedding.  Now the time has come and reality sets in and it just didn't make sense.  More than likely if we had a bigger venue they'd probably be invited.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I only invited 2 of my old friends, only because I am in contact with them at least once a week.  I did, however, invite most of my knottie friends, because we had become close in the 17 months I was planning my wedding.  And, we're still close!
  • Options
    wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i can't really afford to invite my old friends...even if i did care for them now. the only old friend i'll be inviting is my MOH. she's the only 1 that didn't stab me in the back or anything.
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • Options
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards