North Carolina-Outer Banks

Beach Wedding- "The Dream" Outer Banks

Hello All!  

My fiance and I are planning our wedding in the Outer Banks on May 8, 2013 and would love to have some "knot" advice!

We have rented "The Dream", which is a Twiddy rental in the 4x4 area.  Our wedding party and close family members are going to stay in the house with us the week of the wedding.  There will be approx. 40-50 guests.

I could use any suggestions as we really start the planning process.  We would like to have a live band, in the genre of southern rock/country... We are having trouble finding any bands.

Also-  any caterer/photographer/ etc. suggestions would be great!

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Beach Wedding- "The Dream" Outer Banks

• Yay!!!!!! Congrats and welcome to the board. You'll find so much information here. The girls and guys are amazing. The OBX moderator, Char, really knows her stuff about the 4x4 area in particular, I believe. She should be on here soon and she'll be able to give you some wonderful advice. Congrats and happy planning!
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    Congrats and welcome!

The Dream is a gorgeous home and I considered that one while we were weighing our options between an event home or a venue.  It's a great house!

For live bands, check out The Crowd as I hear they are pretty good.  You may also want to check out the OBX Wedding Assoc under their Vendor page at:  http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/membersearch/results.html?catID=14&subID=43

You can find all of your vendors through the obxwa.com from music, caterers, photographers, transportation, etc. 

Matt Lusk is an amazing photographer and a lot of us Knotties have used him (but he was booked for my date....soooo bummed!) but I used Outer Banks Productions and I just love Doug & Michelle...they are just good people all around :) 

I just got back from Carova this weekend visiting my brother and his gf that live down there and it is amazing!  If you have any questions, let me know :)  I would like to offer to please stress to your guests to not speed in the 4x4 area as there are police patrolling the beaches and there are tons of families and dogs running everywhere.....and of course, the wild horses.  Sadly, a horse was lost this weekend due to someone not paying attention while driving :(  If you are need of transportation for your guests, there is a local company that offers their services for weddings and we happen to know the owners, so happy to refer you. 

And last, but certainly not least......GO LONGHORNS!!!!  (Pleeasseee be a Longhorns fan or this will be awkward, lol!)

Again, congrats and let us know if there is anything you need

• Hi,

Congratulations !!!  My husband and I got married at the Dream in August 2010.  We and our guests loved it !!!  What a great house.   We had "The Crowd" play at our wedding.  They were awesome.   They are a 6 piece band.  Many of the band members have played with famous musicians.  The sax player played with Reba McIntyre for 6 years.  Their music appealed to all ages, we had people from 4 years old to 84 years old and they all were out on the dance floor.  Including my husband's 80 + aunt who uses a walker, she was out on the dance floor most of the night. My 82 year old aunt was dancing to Led Zepplin (not something I ever expected to see)   It was just such an amazing house.   We stayed in the house with my husband's immediate and extended family.   It was so great being able to spend the week with our friends and relatives.   We had planned to have our ceremony on the beach and have our reception outside around rhe deck and pool area.  Our wedding day was overccast and there was a little rain.  The band came around 3 PM to set up and due to the weather, they wouldn't set up outside, they couldn't take a chance with all their equipment if it rained.  So we originally had tables set and ready to go outside for our cocktail hour, but then we had to move everything inside due to the weather.   It ended up being so much better to have it inside because at that time of year it was so hot and humid and inside we had the A/C cranked and no bugs.   There was plenty of room for the tables , the band set up in the living room area and we had room for dancing in the great room (even with tables set up.)   I hired a wedding planner.  I could not have done it without her.  (I probably could have, but I was not that familiar with the area, I had never planned a wedding or big event before,and I was pretty stressed and overwhelmed with all the details.  It was a fun stress though.    I also used Outer Banks Productions for my photography/videography.   Michelle and Doug couldn't have been nicer.   They were also very willing to answer any questions about anything, not just photography.   The were wonderful to work with.  Beautiful pictures and wonderful video.  They captured all the details of the day.   (Wonderful.)   Please feel free to ask any questions.  I would be happy to offer any advice.   I am not on here as often as I used to be, but I have found this board and the women, and a few men, to be so helpful.   We have all been through it and everyone on here is great.  
  • Thank you both so much for your responses!!! So helpful!!!

"OBX2011"-  I requested information/pricing from The Crowd, Outer Banks Productions, and Matt Lusk!  Thank you so much for the suggestions!!!  Question about he 4x4 area--- we have a lot of family that will be driving down-  what kind of cards do you really need to drive on the beach? My parents have a Nissan Rogue (SUV) and we are hoping their car will work..  Any suggestions?  And we are absolutely Longhorns fans!!!! :) 

"Stressmess"- I am SO excited to hear from someone who got married at the dream!!!! We are planning on having the wedding either on the beach or on the new deck they just built (it's amazing)-  the cocktail hour/reception around the pool area and the upper deck.  Most likely have all the food inside on those long tables.  Any suggestions?  What about decorations?  What did you do?

Any suggestions for bakeries?

Thanks again!!! I so appreciate it!
  • Thank you both so much for your responses!!! So helpful!!!

"OBX2011"-  I requested information/pricing from The Crowd, Outer Banks Productions, and Matt Lusk!  Thank you so much for the suggestions!!!  Question about he 4x4 area--- we have a lot of family that will be driving down-  what kind of cards do you really need to drive on the beach? My parents have a Nissan Rogue (SUV) and we are hoping their car will work..  Any suggestions?  And we are absolutely Longhorns fans!!!! :) 

"Stressmess"- I am SO excited to hear from someone who got married at the dream!!!! We are planning on having the wedding either on the beach or on the new deck they just built (it's amazing)-  the cocktail hour/reception around the pool area and the upper deck.  Most likely have all the food inside on those long tables.  Any suggestions?  What about decorations?  What did you do?

Any suggestions for bakeries?

Thanks again!!! I so appreciate it!
  • ShipsWatch:  Vendors are NOT allowed to post on the boards.  You have been deleted.  Come back again and I will ban you.

• In Response to <a href="http://outerbanks.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-the-dream-outer-banks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:31b13003-a5e2-4fd1-9b46-f5b169ad8313Post:8fb58200-5cec-4f11-8b3d-aaa882c1fef7">Re: Beach Wedding-</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you both so much for your responses!!! So helpful!!! "OBX2011"-  I requested information/pricing from The Crowd, Outer Banks Productions, and Matt Lusk!  Thank you so much for the suggestions!!!  Question about he 4x4 area--- we have a lot of family that will be driving down-  what kind of cards do you really need to drive on the beach? My parents have a Nissan Rogue (SUV) and we are hoping their car will work..  Any suggestions?  And we are absolutely Longhorns fans!!!! :)  "Stressmess"- I am SO excited to hear from someone who got married at the dream!!!! We are planning on having the wedding either on the beach or on the new deck they just built (it's amazing)-  the cocktail hour/reception around the pool area and the upper deck.  Most likely have all the food inside on those long tables.  Any suggestions?  What about decorations?  What did you do? Any suggestions for bakeries? Thanks again!!! I so appreciate it!
    Posted by Alang022285[/QUOTE]

Hi Alang022285.
    Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.

We used the tables inside the house in the kitchen to set up the food.  We served buffet style.   We used Argyles for our caterer and they were awesome.  Debra was wonderful to work with.  Their food was awesome, and when you use them for catering they throw in the cake for free (several hundred dollars in savings.)  Debra can make any kind of cake you want, all you need to do is show/send her a picture of what you want and she can recreate it.  She also has a wide variety of delicious flavors.   Many vendors do not travel to the 4x4 area.  The ones that do charge a travel fee.  We had our ceremony on the beach in back of the house. Our cocktail hour was outside at the pool/deck area and then we had our wedding  dinner inside ( we originally wanted the reception to be outside, but since the band was inside due to the weather and there was a little rain, we had to move it all inside.   It worked out great though.  We used the tables that were already in the house, plus the tables we rented from OAR when we planned to have it all outside.  We had about 66 people and there was plenty of room for eating and dancing and not feeling like we were all on top of each other.   I loved that house, it was perfect.   Please feel free to ask any questions.  I wish I had come across someone who had gotten married at the Dream when iA was in the planning stages.   As far as decorations, orignally I was thinking of doing my own centerpieces with buckets and sand and shells but then  when I thought qbout how much I would have to buy to decorate 10 tables and lug everything down there and assemble everything myself when I had tons of other stuff to do, I decided I would rather have our florist take care of that for me.  I loved our florists, The Embellishers.   Gail and Brenda were wonderful, and I didn't actually meet them until the day of the wedding.  We spoke on the phone and e-mailed and they really nailed the beachy look and peachy colors I was after.  

How far along are you in your planning stages?   I am so excited for you.  It was truly the best day/week/time of my life.  I have such fond memories.  I am happy to be able to help you in any way I can.   Or answer any questions you may have.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-the-dream-outer-banks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:31b13003-a5e2-4fd1-9b46-f5b169ad8313Post:6981ccf0-f7a8-448b-abf2-2e67434c5ffc">Re: Beach Wedding- "The Dream" Outer Banks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you both so much for your responses!!! So helpful!!! "OBX2011"-  I requested information/pricing from The Crowd, Outer Banks Productions, and Matt Lusk!  Thank you so much for the suggestions!!!  <strong>Question about he 4x4 area--- we have a lot of family that will be driving down-  what kind of cards do you really need to drive on the beach?</strong>My parents have a Nissan Rogue (SUV) and we are hoping their car will work..  Any suggestions?  And we are absolutely Longhorns fans!!!! :)  "Stressmess"- I am SO excited to hear from someone who got married at the dream!!!! We are planning on having the wedding either on the beach or on the new deck they just built (it's amazing)-  the cocktail hour/reception around the pool area and the upper deck.  Most likely have all the food inside on those long tables.  Any suggestions?  What about decorations?  What did you do? Any suggestions for bakeries? Thanks again!!! I so appreciate it!

The Nissan Rogue should work, but I recommend that they have something with 4wheel drive too.  Whatever you do, do NOT let your guests that have cars like a Civic or Corolla drive on the beach....they will make it about 10 feet and then get buried in the sand.  Some good friends own a 4x4 bus that shuttles people for big weddings, so let me know fi you are interested in renting it and I can refer you.  If you go to FB and like "Carova Beach for Dummies" you will see tons of pics of people thinking they can make it in the 4x4, only to get stuck and pay about $200+ to be towed out.  Make sure you are very clear to your guests about this....there is no way around driving in the sand unless you rent a shuttle bus for everyone.  The pics are pretty funny to look at too.  Ohhhh, and please please stress to your guests to go the speed limit which is like 10mph on the beach b/c of kids and the horses, like I mentioned in my earlier post.

One of my favorite things to decorate a beach house with is clear white lights and you can pretty much string them on anything that will stand still.  It creates such an ambiance and would be beautiful decor and at a budget-friendly price.  You can get great deals on the lights during the Holidays and especially after Christmas. 

• Here is a pic of vehicles that are NOT meant to be in the 4x4 area:

Click for a much larger image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_beach-wedding-the-dream-outer-banks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:31b13003-a5e2-4fd1-9b46-f5b169ad8313Post:57f03e23-db52-4efe-8819-4bd715ec2a37">Beach Wedding- "The Dream" Outer Banks</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello All!   My fiance and I are planning our wedding in the Outer Banks on May 8, 2013 and would love to have some "knot" advice! We have rented "The Dream", which is a Twiddy rental in the 4x4 area.  Our wedding party and close family members are going to stay in the house with us the week of the wedding.  There will be approx. 40-50 guests. I could use any suggestions as we really start the planning process.  We would like to have a live band, in the genre of southern rock/country... We are having trouble finding any bands. Also-  any caterer/photographer/ etc. suggestions would be great! Thanks so much in advance!

Hello! I recently joined "the knot" and was so excited to see the posts regarding obx weddings! I have also booked "The Dream" for our wedding june 26, 2013. I was hoping to pick your brain a little since you are likley way ahead in the planning than I am! Are you planning on having the reception outside on the deck, or on the beach? Who are you going to use for tables/linens, etc? Are you going to rent a tent? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!
  • The permanent tent stakes installed at The Dream only work with a tent rented from OAR, so that's where we got our tables/chairs from.  I am getting married there in about a month, we really want to do the reception on the deck without a tent unless absolutely necessary.  I called OAR, they say they need two weeks notice about the tent since they have to hire extra staff to put up the tent. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards