Jewish Weddings

Yamaka - how many to order?

We are having around 150 guests and over half of them are Jewish. How many yamaka's should I order and any reccomendations on where to order them? Also, did you order nicer ones for the wedding party and cheaper ones for the guests?

Thanks!
Marissa

Re: Yamaka - how many to order?

• edited December 2011
    fyi, it's "yermulke" :)

skullcap.com has customizable ones.  Look around online; there are dozens of websites.  Our invitation/stationary store happens to sell customized yermulkes, as well, and they are very affordable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • edited December 2011
    Oops, I misread the entire point of your post.  Tired... sorry.

I don't think anyone here can really say how many you need.  You estimate 75ish guests are Jewish?  Is the ceremony Jewish?  It all depends on how many people will actually wear them...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used www.mazeltops.com and was very pleased. How many guests are male...about 75? I would order around 85 for sure. Yes, you need to assume each male guest will wear a yarmulke during your ceremony at least. It is respectful. I ordered traditional white yarmulkes and had our names and gregorian and hebrew wedding date stitched in. They look wonderful!  
  • edited December 2011
    Mazeltops.com has a nice selection and good prices... that's where we are ordering from. Every male guest (not just the Jewish ones) will be asked to wear one and they will be the same as the gm's.

Not sure if fi will wear a different one though...
  • edited December 2011
    Similar to PPs, we are ordering from mazeltops.com.  We're getting an ivory suede with our names written inside.  We are estimating that every male guest will wear one, plus the men in the wedding party, plus a few extras in case anyone is feeling sentimental and wants to grab one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would get 75 if I were you.  We got suede for the wedding party and satin for everyone else.  I purchased mine from A1 skullcap.  No issues but I do think that the base when they fill your oder on when your wedding date is, not when you order them, which I don't love.

Recently, I've really been into how the knit kippot look, I really like the ones on this website:  http://www.kippahking.com/index.html
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    definitely at least get 75. we were warned that some of the guests may want to take home an extra as a favor, so we're ordering enough for 3/4 of the guests.

we ordered dark grey satin from yarmulkes.com. The haven't arrived yet, but for the small number I needed (only 3 doz), they were the best priced

oooo -Rachiemoo, i really like those!
  • edited December 2011

I most definitely would not order 150 - you'll have so many extras.

We had about 100 guests and ordered 8 dozen (96) and had a ton of left overs.  Even though it was our wish that folks would use them for the ceremony (held in a synagogue), not every male took one.  We had about 50-50 Jews to non-Jews in attendance.  Some folks (including women) took as a souvenir, but we were surpised at the number of extras we had - about half.  We donated some to our synagogue and kept the rest.

So 75 is a pretty safe bet.  

As far as what to order - they are all about the same price; you'd only save a few cents buying the bulk satin ("cheap") versus something nicer.  We orderd suede from Mazaltops and they were great.

• Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm ordering satin ones from www.yarmulkes.com for all men at the wedding.    They're only $13.50 per dozen.  I'm expecting about 120 guests, so I will probably order 5 dozen.  I don't want to be stuck with too many extras!
  • razdazzlerazdazzle member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did 6 dozen for 150 guests.  My mom took care of this, she ordered really nice ones in gray suede.  She got them online from a store in NY - West Side Judaica.
    They just arrived to me and look great!
  • edited December 2011
    we did 7 dozen and we invited 178.  We ordered from skullcaps and its been about a week, so we have another week they say.  We just did the plain satin ones and inscribed them with our names and date.  We also will havem mostly non-jews at our wedding, so we're gonna have a sign that says, "men, please take one and wear for the ceremony" OR there was this picture on the knot with a basket full of yarmulkes that said, "please take on and kippah it on for the ceremony."  my mom thinks its adorable and wants me to put one like that!
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • BocaSueBocaSue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd order the same for the wedding party & the guests.  There isn't a big price difference, and everyone will look the same.  
    Proud employee of Best Wishes of Boca. We have wedding registries, jewelry, china, and collectibles. http://www.bestwishes.net
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for MazelTops.  They did a wonderful (and very quick) job on ours.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a basket with and still some folks didn't take - you can't force non-Jews not comfortable wearing one to take one.  And many just didn't see fit to have it otherwise, so I definitely say not to order too many.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards