Offbeat Weddings

Flower Alternatives

I need some help! I can't figure out what to do about flowers. I have a very limited budget so no matter what they are DIY and I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives. I've seen broch boquets, feather, paper flowers,and a few more but I just don't know. I've also seen pin wheels, and was thinking about just having the birdemaids carry cute clutches. I have to beable to make them the week between xmas and new years cause I'm doing everything in Wisconsin and I live in California and the big day is on Dec 30th. Help please! :)

Re: Flower Alternatives

• Oh you have lots of options.
    Balloons, parasols and button bouquets are the first things that come to mind. If you wanted flowers but its the budget you are worrying about, you can DIY fake flowers. Check out some youtube videos for how-to tutorials or take a class at Michaels. 

Oh and just to save yourself some headaches... make sure that whatever you do you can either ship it out or make it when you get to Wisconsin. I live in CA and getting married in NC. A lot of stuff is already there, but we have 6 suitcases that we have to travel with so far.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • reliartreliart member
    First Comment
    i am also not doing flowers and am flip flioopoing between paper pinwheels or  rosettes. i think they are both super cute!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For my first wedding, I had a bouquet of felt and button flowers.  I purchased mine so it was not terribly cost-effective but you could DIY it if you're crafty. 

If you really want flowers you could always buy bulk and DIY them yourself.  I'm DIYing my bouquet for our elopement in two weeks.  Did a run-through yesterday with just a dozen roses I bought at the supermarket for 9 bucks...and yeah, it looks pretty good, and I didn't even have the baby's breath filler I wanted.
  • i did flowers for my bouquet, but parasols for my bm's.

• Ooh ooh there's a vendor in Wisconsin (out of the Fox Valley) that does the world's cutest clutches! I'm not sure how much they are, but they would definitely double as WP gifts. I love love love them.

imagewww.margorouge.com/userimages/g_3.1_thumb.jpg" alt="" />
  • I love the idea of parasols, though I'm not sure how easily they can be DIYed or cheaply purchased.  I would agree with PPs to buy silk flowers in bulk and DIY bouquets.  I have a FB friend who bought these hilarious little toy flower wands with ribbons on them from the dollar store or something and she and her BMs all carried one.  They are cute, haha.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • I like those clutches from the fox valley in Wisco... Andthe felt flowers with bottons!
  • i did my own bouts...there are pics in my bio.

they are not terribly fragile, so could probably be shipped relatively easy (and cheap) if you did them ahead of time.
  • I made my own bouquet out of fabric. and used buttons and rhinestones as the centers. :) it was cheap, and pretty simple. i found some DIY sites on google and they showed me how to do a few different flowers. and for my BM, i am doing corsages out of fabric flowers. :)
  • I was going to do parasols for the BMs, but I didn't think there would really be enough sun (there wasn't).

My bouquet was a fabric/button bouquet I got from an Etsy seller, and my BMs carried balloon flowers.

Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Operarockstar, I'm doing the same as you: flowers from the grocery store! Whatever they have on hand will work just fine. :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Proposal Site: 12/29/10 United States Capitol Building Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been looking for alternatives as well and came across a few that I wouldn't mind looking into.  One is the organza fabric flowers that are becoming popular and the other is a vendor from Etsy that makes flowers from birch wood shavings.  You get tons for pretty cheap and you can order them colored, assembled in bouquets or just loose.  They come from out of the country so it can take up to 2 months for delivery.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/AccentsandPetals?ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=birch+wood+flowers&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Also, I am attending a wedding in a few months where the BMs are carring single stems of gerber dasies to keep the floral costs low.
  • Another idea is since you are getting married during December, it will most likely be cold, if you were going to have the ceremony outside you could carry a faux-fur muff thingy lol?

Just an idea that popped into my head since I will probably be getting married outside, and it will be a little cold :)
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_flower-alternatives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:707c5510-aef9-45a2-acd9-7fae4e4d7284Post:e650387c-8e85-4846-94c1-43559a9525a9">Re: Flower Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been looking for alternatives as well and came across a few that I wouldn't mind looking into.  One is the organza fabric flowers that are becoming popular and the other is a vendor from Etsy that makes flowers from birch wood shavings.  You get tons for pretty cheap and you can order them colored, assembled in bouquets or just loose.  They come from out of the country so it can take up to 2 months for delivery. <a href="http://www.etsy.com/shop/AccentsandPetals?ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=birch+wood+flowers&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade" rel='nofollow'>http://www.etsy.com/shop/AccentsandPetals?ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=birch+wood+flowers&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade</a> Also, I am attending a wedding in a few months where the BMs are carring single stems of gerber dasies to keep the floral costs low.
    Posted by Gingery1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow, what a great etsy site! LOVE

</div>
  • southofnormal, glad to know I'm not the only one!  I just don't care about flowers enough to stress over them or pay inordinate amounts of $$.  ^_^
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_flower-alternatives?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:707c5510-aef9-45a2-acd9-7fae4e4d7284Post:29fba6bd-bc7e-428d-9f8b-f81d7ce0e619">Re: Flower Alternatives</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh ooh there's a vendor in Wisconsin (out of the Fox Valley) that does the world's cutest clutches! I'm not sure how much they are, but they would definitely double as WP gifts. I love love love them. <a href="http://www.margorouge.com/3.html" rel='nofollow'>http://www.margorouge.com/3.html</a> <a href="http://www.margorouge.com/userimages/g_3.1_thumb.jpg" rel='nofollow'>www.margorouge.com/userimages/g_3.1_thumb.jpg</a> " alt="" />
    Posted by brit_bell90[/QUOTE]

Those are adorable! Do you know about how much they cost on average? I didn't see prices listed on the website.
  • How about shiney streamers (like the kind you tie on balloons) and making it into a streamer bouquet?  Your possibilities are really endless but with a winter wedding I can imagine shiney silver streamers to tie in a pre-New Year's wedding.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards