Hawaii

Shipping dress vs. bringing it with you... Which did you do and why?

Hi girls....can't seem to decide which makes more sense...to ship dress to a dry cleaners in Maui or bring it with me on the plane. I called 2 dry cleaners and they both accept dresses that are shipped to them, they'll have it steamed and ready for when I get there. Which option do you think is better?

Re: Shipping dress vs. bringing it with you... Which did you do and why?

• You know where I stand...ship the dress Smile 
  • Bring it.  I wouldn't trust the company to not lose it.  But I'm paranoid like that

• I'm bringing mine in a small carryon and then stopping by the dry cleaners on Monday to have them steam it. I agree with Kje, I am not trusting to ship anything. May cost a little more to check or carryon but I want to know all my hard work is with us. 

Re: Your PP. Yes getting nervous, but just because I have a lot of work stress too right now. That will all die down mid Sept. Honestly just ready to be married. Tired of my den being cluttered with everything for the wedding and AHR. 
  • I didn't even know shipping to a dry cleaner's was an option!  You've given me something to think about.  I'll either do that or put it in a small carry on that way I can still bring some light stuff along with it in the carry on.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ok I decided....I talked with my mom and she helped me think it through..itjust makes a lot more sense for me to ship it ahead. We are stopping at Disneyland for three days on our way to Maui to break up the flights so it would be a lot of carrying around...I'm trying to minimize luggage. I'm going to ship it 2 day air with ups and do insurance and tracking. That way the dress will be there before me and I can rest easy. The dry cleaners said I can ship up to 2 weeks prior but I will do one week. My dress is very simple and the price was very reasonable so if something did happen to it, I could just get something else similar and I'd be ok....but that's worst case scenario.... I trust ups especially with 2day option. Dry cleaner lady said do NOT ship us postal service. plus the bonus is, we can pick it up and it will be ready the day we arrive vs. having to drop it off and pay rush charge for one day service. A lot less stressful for my situation. Just need to decide Alii dry cleaning or martinizing.
  • How much is it to ship via UPS with the tracking if you don't mind me asking?  I was at a UPS store today dropping off packages and asked for an estimate and they couldn't give me one b/c I didn't know the zip code off top of my head.  I asked couldn't they just look it up and she looked at me like I had two heads.  Yell
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Frustrating jenn! I don't know for sure...I tried to do estimate online but was on iPad and got frustrated hahah. Whatever it is, it will be worth saving me being aggravated! I'm guessing 80.00
  • I put it in a vacuum seal bag in my carryon so it didn't take up much space at all and then got it steamed when we got there. I didn't want to risk it getting lost either in checked baggage or by a shipping company.
  • edited August 2012
    I brought my dress as a carry-on. I would be way too paranoid to leave it in the hands of a dry cleaner... I've heard so many horror stories about dry cleaners "losing" items like nice sweaters, suits, etc. Also, many have a clause on the cleaning agreement that they are not liable for loss. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ahhhhh no.....don't make me second guess!! Haha
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_shipping-dress-vs-bringing-it-with-you-which-did-you-do-and-why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:fe092c3b-c296-4809-af72-57401570bc03Post:3f786cab-db53-40ce-8c0b-c63191611a8c">Re: Shipping dress vs. bringing it with you... Which did you do and why?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Frustrating jenn! I don't know for sure...I tried to do estimate online but was on iPad and got frustrated hahah. Whatever it is, it will be worth saving me being aggravated! I'm guessing 80.00
    Posted by allisonpickup80[/QUOTE]

That is about how much mine was.  I had to ship US Postal Service since it was going to a P.O. Box, had no probems.  I shipped 2 weeks ahead of time so just in case it got lost it had some time to find its way...and I had the same exact reasoning as you for shipping, while I loved my dress, part of the reason for eloping to Maui was to escape the chaos, so worst comes to worst you find a new dress, but at the end of the day you can still get married =)
  • Thanks Hillary !
  • Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out! I'm sure it will all work out perfectly! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_shipping-dress-vs-bringing-it-with-you-which-did-you-do-and-why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:fe092c3b-c296-4809-af72-57401570bc03Post:91b8ef72-c4d0-4945-9afc-7776284d0a56">Re: Shipping dress vs. bringing it with you... Which did you do and why?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out! I'm sure it will all work out perfectly! :)
    Posted by ml808[/QUOTE]

Lol you didn't don't worry...hahah. I think I have so little to plan for our wedding so I'm sweating the smaller stuff....my own fault :)
  • edited September 2012
    When are you getting married?  I'm trying to decide as well and would like to hear how shipping goes for you if you don't mind sharing.

I would prefer to carry on but apparently my dress might not do well being in a carry on because of the boning (it would have been nice to know that before I bought it, since I specifically asked to try on dresses that would travel well Yell).
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards