Connecticut

Invitations poll

Hi ladies!  I am wondering how you chose to address the envelopes...
Photobucket

Re: Invitations poll

• edited December 2011
    My Mom has nice cursive, so she did them for us.  :)
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just ended up running out of time once the invitations were printed, etc., so I asked my mom to handwrite them since she had the "prettiest" handwriting.

Good luck!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely going to print them on.  We downloaded a really nice font on dafont.com (free fonts) and will type them up and print them on my Dad's nice color laser printer.  I think the idea that they all have to be handwritten is outdated, and besides, I have no desire to pay $1.50 more per envelope for pretty writing that will look nearly the same as if I print it in a calligraphied font!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I printed mine on clear labels and stuck those babies on! Very Easy!
  • edited December 2011
    Etiquette says you shouldn't print them. Not that I care about this, but I knew some of my family members would. I hand wrote mine, but when I was a child my mother made me take caligraphy lessons. (don't ever do this to your child) This was the only time in my life it came in handy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cdbishopcdbishop member
    edited December 2011
    I am going to print them.  I don't want to pay the money for caligraphy and don't think it would look good if I hand wrote them. 

Noone being invited to my wedding will have an issue with them not being handwritten/caligraphy. 
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    mwitter - I know what etiquette says, I just feel that particular piece of etiquette is out dated and pointless.  If someone takes offence to me printing a name rather than handwriting it (sloppily, I might add), then that's silly.  I'll certainly hand-write thank you notes, though!  I think that does have a point.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I REALLY didn't care what etiquette said on this one.  I think some etiquette is really outdates and doesn't apply anymore, so I printed them! lol!

I also found a really nice font on dafont.com that looked like handwritten calligraphy, and we printed eveyrthing directly on the envelopes.  For my return address I had someone on Etsy make me an address stamp and I heat embossed the return address and RSVP address.  They looked amazing (and expensive) with the heat embossing. :-)

Printed calligraphy

return address

RSVP address

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    edited December 2011
    We are printing them on clear labels with a nice font and sticking them on.  It's the easiest way, plus we can just save the document and do the same thing for thank you notes.
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely would have preferred to have them hand-written, but we couldn't afford calligraphy and I thought printing in a nice script font would look better than my handwriting.  I ended up using the clear labels, they were actually kind of a pain and if I could do it over I would print directly on the envelopes.

I agree it's "proper" to have them hand-written, but I also agree with calindi that of all the etiquette rules to break, this seems like a minor one.  I would never be insulted that someone sent me a wedding invite with printed address labels.  I think you need to do the best with what you can afford and what you have time to do.
    imageimage
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    akulaji - I'm planning on doing the same thing!  I just ordered our stamps.  Could you give me any tips you have, and what equipment I need to buy?

We're going to print straight on the envelopes (I think it looks nicer), and the RSVP envelope will also be printed, but the return address on the outer envelope will be stamped/embossed.  I just love that look!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    For some reason I really wanted the invitations to be done by a calligrapher. Invitations were my favorite thing to do (i love all things printed/papergoods)

Though, I understand that it is kinda of an extra expense, I got lucky my step-mother had a friend who did it for us for $1 each (as a favor to her) 

BUT! If i had to pay $1.50-$2 per (we had 200 invitation) I would definitely opt for just printing from your printer in a nice font directly on the envelope, not a label, if you can. 
  • gem6240gem6240 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had them printed on by the printer... probably the best money spent so far!!!
  • edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invitations-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:c1d5c8ce-ab4d-4645-8e28-8b31304134bbPost:11ab03a0-d435-4af8-ae45-f8d828f78756">Re: Invitations poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]akulaji - I'm planning on doing the same thing!  I just ordered our stamps.  Could you give me any tips you have, and what equipment I need to buy? We're going to print straight on the envelopes (I think it looks nicer), and the RSVP envelope will also be printed, but the return address on the outer envelope will be stamped/embossed.  I just love that look!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
    PM me with your email address, and I'll email you.  I can get you all the tricks!</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We did what Carrie did. For the return address we had it pre-printed when we ordered the invitations from VistaPrint. It's super easy to do if you use the mail merge fuction in MS Word. 
  • Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hand-wrote addresses for our Save-the-Dates. I'm planning on either hand-writing or printing addresses directly on the envelope for our invitations- depending on how busy I am when the time comes.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having them done by a calligrapher. I'm not throwing any shade on the ladies that had them printed but like MWitter80 ettitquette (outdated or not) still reigns supreme in my circle. I took calligraphy as a child too and loved it but I haven't done it in so long I don't think I'd remember the proper technique anymore.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_invitations-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:c1d5c8ce-ab4d-4645-8e28-8b31304134bbPost:dbf5ceb9-871c-466f-bd65-6e3e227a7060">Re: Invitations poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Invitations poll : PM me with your email address, and I'll email you.  I can get you all the tricks!
    Posted by akulaji[/QUOTE]

You've got a PM!  Thanks!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I had a calligrapher do mine.  I tried to print on the envelopes, but I wasn't liking the way it came out.  I paid $1 per invited for the inner and outer envelope.  It just seemed easier to me to pay for it than to try and get it to look right on the envelope.  Also, I know the older members of my family appreciated the ettiquette.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I taught myself a basic calligraphy font from a kit a friend gave me.  I have a feeling Borders will be discounting a few!

FWIW, labels are really the bottom rung of the etiquette ladder on this.  It's the the biggest etiquette rule you can break but they just don't look great when you get them.  I've received invitations with labels and all the dust and crud that gets on the envelope in the mail system shows around the border and instead it looks like your invitation was part of a giant mass-mailing.  If you're going to opt for computer printing, at least print directly on the envelope.   Aside from etiquette, it just looks much better than that cheap Avery label.

Some people use wrap-around labels and those are usually designed to coordinate with the invitation itself.  They could be an alternative.
  • estegemanestegeman member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input ladies! Alexismurda, your invitations look gorgeous with the calligraphy. My envelopes are black and I found a calligrapher who can use white ink and I am so excited! I think it will look awesome! She is a great price too, under $1 per envelope. :-)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards