Maine

Looking for reception venue in Bar Harbor

Hi everyone!
I am looking for ideas for a reception venue in Bar Harbor area.  We are planning to get married in Acadia and then have the reception for our 100ish (still working on the guest list) guests nearby.  We have checked out a few places up there, but I would love to hear from anyone who is planning their wedding in Bar Harbor or has gotten married there, or even just knows a lot about the area.  Any recommendations or input would be awesome!  Thanks
J
Anniversary

Re: Looking for reception venue in Bar Harbor

• HE&MEHE&ME member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really like the Harborside Hotel & Marina.  I haven't been to a wedding there but it is one of my favorites in that area and on my list of places I want to stay.  There is also the Bar Harbor Regency.  I've stayed there a few times and really like it. 
  • edited December 2011
    i just got married at the bar harbor inn in july.  the venue is beautiful. the staff is very helpful and pleasant. the food was delicious. the price was to be expected for a waterfront wedding.  the only downfall - ceremony is at 11:30 and reception in the main dining room has to be over by 4:30 so they can have dinner for their guests.  if you wanted a reception in the porcupine room which is upstairs (can accomodate 75 people) you can have the room during dinner time and have it until 10:30pm I believe.  we had our ceremony and reception there.  following the reception we chartered the margaret todd schooner for our guests and went on a sunset cruise - which turned out to be nothing but fog! we brought food on board for the guests and beer and wine. there was a guitar player on board as well. i got my hair done at the inn's spa. they do not advertise for it at all (poor decision on their end).  the hairdresser/makeup artist darcey did a great job - i loved my hair and makeup that she did!  i got my nails painted hours before the wedding and all the polish came off - in one whole piece. sucks to have that happen at the reception. i have more details about the inn if you are interested, just let me know! :)
  • Krista521Krista521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the input!  We've stayed at the  both the Regency and Harborside different times we've visited, beautiful locations.  We ended up getting a tour at the Regency, the Stonehouse, it was amazing.  Just a little intimidating... but would make a beautiful reception location when i get over the fact im a bride now! ahhh :)

Eilyak, thanks for the info on the Bar Harbor Inn! I haven't gotten any info from them yet, from what i gathered online, the time frame for the reception would be an issue, so i hadn't contacted them.  But i loooove the idea of the cruise afterwards which would solve that problem.  I've always wanted to stop in that place everytime we go up there... so beautiful.  I'd love to hear more about your day and any other info you have!

Thanks!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    having our ceremony so early in the day allowed us to have a lot of time with our family and friends, especially since most of them traveled from over four hours away!
    we had a plated meal of filet mignon with maine lobster tail; chicken marsala; sun-dried tomato and mushroom ravioli. also served with the meal we had ceasar salads, cake and chcoloate covered strawberries.  the cake is included in the price.  the woman who made the cake, did an incredible job. she too listened to our many ideas, was very patient, and i cant wait to eat the cake again in july!
    i used laurie from cottage flowers, she did a beautiful job! she grows all her flowers at her home, and if you want a specific flower that does not grow well in maine, she orders them elsewhere.
    we also had a bagpiper - ernie smith, out of bucksport who played during the ceremony. he too did an amazing job!
    nicole and maggie, both from the bar harbor inn event department, were very helpful, always responding very quickly to emails/calls, and helped make the day memorable. 
    close to the end of the reception, the inn gathered the gifts, cake, guest photo signing, and other belongings and brought them to our room for us.
    after the reception and before the boat, hubby and i took a walk with our photographer around downtown bar harbor.  our photographer captured some amazing action shots!
    the inn also does not have much on their website, infact, none of the information i receieved from maggie and nicole were on there.  i suggest contacting them and they'll get it right out to you!  keep in mind, if you do contact them now, the inn is closed; however, staff do go into their offices several times a week, so the responses will not be as timely.
    hope this helps!
    i'm sure you've looked into an exact spot in acadia, but if you haven't make sure you do some research. they have some strict policies on ceremonies in the park!
  • Krista521Krista521 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow your wedding sounds like it was amazing!  Thanks for sharing all the details.  I will absolutely keep Bar Habor Inn in mind, it's nice to hear first hand from other brides, because you don't really know how your experience at a certain venue will be and positive input helps a lot!!  I hadn't gotten into flowers yet, but i will check out Cottage Flowers when im ready, Laurie sounds great.
    thanks again! You were such a big help :)

Anniversary
  • kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Krista~
     I held my reception at the Neighborhood House which worked out great.  I had to find a caterer, etc., but I was able to bring my own alcohol, and overall saved a lot of $ and the NHH easily fit over 100 guests.  I had busses to take guests to/from their hotels (I had a break of time between the ceremony and reception).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards