September 2012 Weddings

Registry Questions (like a ton of them)

So, everything is finally official. My FI got the job in WA and he is moving there in one week and one day. (boo.) I'll be joining him after the wedding. So, we found a place that we both really like, but it is way small. Like we currently live in a 3 bed 2.5 bath house that is approximately 1800 sq ft. We've been there for two years and have been decorating and filling it since we moved in. The place we like is maybe 730 sq ft. Huge difference.

We are letting go of most of our furniture and other belongings. So that's NBD at this point. However, we registered based on what we have now (hutch with velvet drawers for silver and other find china storage features, lots of counter space, etc). I'm considering removing a lot of items from our registry b/c we won't have room. Other stuff I'd like to keep it on there, but don't know how to deal with it..

Mainly the china, crystal, and some appliances (kitchenaide mixer) that I'm not certain we will have room for. The mixer is the whole reason I wanted to register in the first place. The china and crystal isn't something we need right now, but I know we will in a few short years.

Any suggestions?

Re: Registry Questions (like a ton of them)

• I lived in some tiny apartments and found room for the mixer. So if you really want it I would keep it on there.

In terms of crystal/china. I personally did not register for it b/c I didn't think I would ever use it. I might just hold off on some of the items but if there are a few pieces you can use now I would say keep them on the registry.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you are taking a moving van, I would just look into storage.  If your furniture is cheap, it is not worth moving it and paying for storage.  If it is really nice though, second hand furniture sells for absolutely nothing (trust me I've tried) and it is very costly to go buy again.  I guess this would depend also on how long you will be in that smaller space.  More than a year and the cost of moving and storing probably wouldn't be worth it then.  Less than a year and I'd take the nice stuff with me!  And if you are storing that, keep the registries and store your gifts there too.  If moving and storing doesn't make sense, I'd honestly probably get rid of registries all together and just have your mom/BMs etc spread by word of mouth that you need money for the move and to establish out there.  Then once you are back in a good sized space you can go have a fun shopping spree.  In the meantime stick the gift money in a savings account and get some interest on it so you can buy more once you have the space. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_registry-questions-like-a-ton-of-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0a3aec50-b5ec-49cf-b629-9c98be8b4a52Post:8aee7650-c990-4846-b24d-6842d31678a0">Re: Registry Questions (like a ton of them)</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you are taking a moving van, I would just look into storage.  If your furniture is cheap, it is not worth moving it and paying for storage.  If it is really nice though, second hand furniture sells for absolutely nothing (trust me I've tried) and it is very costly to go buy again.  I guess this would depend also on how long you will be in that smaller space.  More than a year and the cost of moving and storing probably wouldn't be worth it then.  Less than a year and I'd take the nice stuff with me!  And if you are storing that, keep the registries and store your gifts there too.  If moving and storing doesn't make sense, I'd honestly probably get rid of registries all together and just have your mom/BMs etc spread by word of mouth that you need money for the move and to establish out there.  Then once you are back in a good sized space you can go have a fun shopping spree.  In the meantime stick the gift money in a savings account and get some interest on it so you can buy more once you have the space. 
    Posted by volleygurl0306[/QUOTE]

Ditto this!  I'd just get a storage unit and store things if the living arrangements are just temporary.  We have a storage unit, because we didn't have enough space when we combined two households, but my FI wasn't ready to part with some of his things.  LOL! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel your pain.  When I bought my house in PA, it was about 2800 square feet. When I moved back to the bay area, the house I bought was 1100.  I had to downsize considerably.  The question is, is the 700 square foot house temporary, or is that basically the size of the houses in that area?   I knew I would have to get rid of a bunch of stuff, because I was buying a house, and honestly, the possiblity of getting a significantly larger place was unlikely.   The average size of homes in the bay are about 800-1200 square feet.

If you really want china and crystal, I'd leave it on your registry. I'm sure you can find a corner in the new spot to store it in.   This is probably the only chance you are going to have to have other people buy you china or crystal.   But, I'd only leave it on there if you think you'll honestly use it.  Don't take the mixer off though...   everyone needs a kitchenaid !  :)

• This is definately only temporary. It is the cheapest place we could find on short notice. We wanted to find a place that we could live in and comfortably save a lot of money in. Especially since I won't have a job right away like he does. After a year, we plan on moving into either a larger apartment or into a mother in law suite at his mom's house.

It is a good size unit, and seperated by two distinct yard areas...and really is its own little cottage. That is what we would like to do b/c rent would be cheap and we want to keep saving money so we can buy a house.

I hadn't even thought of using storage but I love it! Thanks guys!

Also, the only furniture we are keeping are all my mid-century peices that are worth a lot of money. I know selling would benefit us, but I inherited them and they have been a part of my life for my whole life. Too hard to part with that.

• Definitely store it if you love it.  You can also store wedding gifts for now in the same storage unit.  We used PODS door-to-door storage as we moved out of our home in Miami the beginning of May and moved 1500 miles away to live with my parents until October, and then we're moving wherever the Marines decide to send my lovely husband-to-be!  So... yeah, they're awesome.  We paid $350 for them to drop off the box, $199 per month for the first 3 months, and then $129 per month for each month thereafter.  And then when we want them to deliver it again, it's moving costs plus delivery.  So estimated from Miami to South Carolina with 6 months of storage was just around $2100.  Expensive for sure, but less so than buying all new furniture and televisions and such!

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_registry-questions-like-a-ton-of-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0a3aec50-b5ec-49cf-b629-9c98be8b4a52Post:76290ecc-3ab9-493e-9aaa-f3f19883dad2">Re: Registry Questions (like a ton of them)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Definitely store it if you love it.  You can also store wedding gifts for now in the same storage unit.  We used PODS door-to-door storage as we moved out of our home in Miami the beginning of May and moved 1500 miles away to live with my parents until October, and then we're moving wherever the Marines decide to send my lovely husband-to-be!  So... yeah, they're awesome.  We paid $350 for them to drop off the box, $199 per month for the first 3 months, and then $129 per month for each month thereafter.  And then when we want them to deliver it again, it's moving costs plus delivery.  So estimated from Miami to South Carolina with 6 months of storage was just around $2100.  Expensive for sure, but less so than buying all new furniture and televisions and such!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

We got quoted for having the POD for one week and moving it from Tulsa to Seattle was $5,000!!! So not an option at all for us!
  • try Door to Door moving and Storage.  I used them when I moved across country and they were about half the price of PODS.  Same idea though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_registry-questions-like-a-ton-of-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:0a3aec50-b5ec-49cf-b629-9c98be8b4a52Post:2b390889-a66b-4d43-9ae0-dbc2e56c2dd4">Re: Registry Questions (like a ton of them)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Registry Questions (like a ton of them) : We got quoted for having the POD for one week and moving it from Tulsa to Seattle was $5,000!!! So not an option at all for us!
    Posted by AshnRobo[/QUOTE]

Oooof..  I did forget we got a Military Discount.  And Miami to South Carolina isn't THAT far, only like 8 hour drive.

Will you be moving back to Tulsa area?  Or will you need it in Seattle eventually?

Anniversary

• MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Definitely keep your mixer on your list if that's the reason you were excited about registering.  I had a KitchenAid mixer in a tiny 1 br loft apartment with about 3 ft of counter space.  I love that mixer, so I would have been sad not to have it with me.

Sucks that you have to downsize so much for the move, but I hope it's worth it for you saving up money while you're job hunting.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• I live in 1,000 sq feet with FI and we definitely have room for the mixer! It sits in a corner on our countertop under the cabinet (but make sure you pick the one that fits underneath kitchen cabinets...check the review). I don't, however, have room to display china/silver because I don't have a dinning room :(   I'd suggest leaving it on there. You can always leave it boxed up and store it in your closet/under your bed/whatever until you have more space.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • I live in an apartment and I LOVE my stand mixer!  If these things (china, crystal, etc.) that you want and will use you really should keep them on your registry.  You're never going to be in a situation again where people will want to buy all this stuff again.

I think storage for your nicest items/pieces of furniture is a great option! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Thanks guys! I talked it over with FI and he came around and agreed to storage. Storing stuff here in Tulsa is going to be cheaper than moving it or storing it up there.

My family lives here so we will be coming back and forth.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards