Wedding Etiquette Forum

Kids' rooms/babysitters - your experiences?

13»

Re: Kids' rooms/babysitters - your experiences?

• Everything related to this latest wrinkle is an unanticipated expense. But the initial feelers are that renting four or five high chairs is going to be cheaper than hiring a  babysitter and/or lifeguard for a couple of hours and giving them a vendor meal, if necessary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-roomsbabysitters-experiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdebc29b-4e89-4639-8bb1-5b870e9465fdPost:12f53330-5f88-465a-a5aa-3948eb45ab4c">Re: Kids' rooms/babysitters - your experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everything related to this latest wrinkle is an unanticipated expense. But the initial feelers are that renting four or five high chairs is going to be cheaper than hiring a  babysitter and/or lifeguard for a couple of hours and giving them a vendor meal, if necessary.
    Posted by jess9802[/QUOTE]
    Right...but people are telling you that their kids wont tolerate high chairs, so your basically spending less on a not so attractive decoration. 
  • I'll admit - the resistance to high chairs kind of threw me. I remember my brother sitting in one at 2, and my cousin's 2 1/2 year old still sits in one. When my friend mentioned her kids won't sit in one, I figured it was related to their general resistance to restraints of any kind - her kids scream bloody murder in their car seats, and always have. Oh, well. We'll figure something out. If this is the worst kink in the wedding plans, we're pretty lucky.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-roomsbabysitters-experiences?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fdebc29b-4e89-4639-8bb1-5b870e9465fdPost:938bb415-17f3-4d34-82ad-1bbc69d5568b">Re: Kids' rooms/babysitters - your experiences?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll admit - the resistance to high chairs kind of threw me. I remember my brother sitting in one at 2, and my cousin's 2 1/2 year old still sits in one. When my friend mentioned her kids won't sit in one, I figured it was related to their general resistance to restraints of any kind - her kids scream bloody murder in their car seats, and always have. Oh, well. We'll figure something out. If this is the worst kink in the wedding plans, we're pretty lucky.
    Posted by jess9802[/QUOTE]
    I think it really just depends on the parents.  I have a cousin who is 3 and still will sit in it sometimes to eat, and another other cousin who stopped using it when he was like a year and a half.  If the parents are telling you they won't sit in it, I wouldn't try and force it.  It could end up being a big scene, with the kid throwing a tantrum not to sit in it.  <div>
    <div>You're right that this is something that is easily fixable, and things could be much worse.  I would sit down with your FMIL and discuss the lifeguard idea and see what she thinks.  If her concern really is kids drowning, then this should be an easy solution.</div></div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Maybe talk to the parents before-hand and ask them their opinion.  Would they trust someone else to watch their kids?  If they are close to you and your FI, they should trust your judgement with the babysitter.  Maybe you can explain to the parents before-hand who the babysitter is, that you know her, trust her, etc.   Honestly, I think a lot of parents would love that break, knowing they can mingle without having to watch their kids.

If they don't like the idea, like the PP's said, hire someone to watch the pool specifically.  He/she should be lifeguard trained but should dress like everyone else. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2011
    What about making kids 4 and under wear lifejackets?   Ideal?  Not really, but it might be easier than trying to get them in a high chair or booster seat.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've noticed a lot of people mentioning waivers and liability...Just to try to put myself in the FMIL's shoes- is that really the issue or is she trying to prevent something tragic from overshadowing her son's wedding day...just my 2 cents.  I think a life guard is a great solution btw!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Of course everyone wants to make sure the kids are okay.  However, I think trying to keep them in restraints (highchairs can be seen as restraints if the kid isn't used to being stuck in one and is there by force) or restricting them to one area with a babysitter is extreme.  Let the parents make choices for how to manage their kids, have a couple hired eyes to try to keep everyone safe, and get an insurance policy in the unfortunate event that something (anything, not just kid drowning, but things like property damage or drunk drivers leaving the party) happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards