Hawaii

Help! Lacking Motivation to Get In Shape!

I feel like such a bum! Every month, when it rolls around to the date for when we will leave for our destination wedding, I do the count down and say "Ok, I have 6 more months to get in shape... then the next month, ok, I really need to get goign, I have 5 more months. I'm now on 3 more months. and I realllly need to get motivated. I was doing good before doing the jillian michaels work outs and even posted about it, but i"m just not motivated enough to start eating better. I should complain, I'm avergae size, about 5'5 and 140. But I want to feel great and in shape for the big day! Any suggestions for some good motivation! Help! It will be here before you know it!

Re: Help! Lacking Motivation to Get In Shape!

• First & foremost, your height/weight ratio sounds very reasonable.  I wouldn't stress too much about losing weight.  After all, FI loves you the way you are :-)

The biggest thing I've found for me are 3 things:

1.  Track what you eat -- download My Fitness Pal and just track what you eat.  Seeing it listed out with the total calories really helps you make better food choices. 

2.  Make your workouts fun -- do what you love.  I have about 8 different things I rotate through -- running, lifting, barre class, krav maga, Nike training club, Insanity, 30 Day shred, Tubro Kick.  I have no set schedule.  I do whatever fits into my schedule that day, and that my body feels like.

3.  On your worst days, agree to 12 minutes.  12 minutes of ANYTHING you want to do.  If after 12 minutes you still don't feel like working out, then stop.  99% of the time, by the 12 minute mark, the endorphines are kicking in and I get at least to 20 minutes.

Most of all, don't obsess too much.  Your wedding is supposed to be fun, and you will look stunning and radiant whether you lose weight or not.
  • edited July 2012
    If you don't already have the Nike Training Club app, it's free from the AppStore and has a ton of workout options. 
  • Thanks so much ! Great tips!
  • I agree with Tanq...until recently I was swimming 2km 3-5 times per week but just couldn't motivate myself to eat well.  I now use the My Fitness Pal app and have really been much stricter with my diet as I don't like entering bad food into my diary.

Good luck!

• I absolutely identify with you.  My wedding is 3 1/2 months away and I wouldn't say I'm unmotivated...but not as focused as I should be.  I keep trying though.
    I agree on the My Fitness Pal app...it really helps, especially if you have friends who are doing it to.  Just getting comments from them keeps me a little more motivated.  If you want to add me for a little extra encouragement, my user name is Stephcap.
    Tanq is right though...don't obsess too much.  Your day is going to be wonderful regardless.  And your fiance is marrying you for who you are, regardless if you lose or gain 5 pounds.
  • I'm right there with you girl! It is so tough to stay focused. I want it sooooo bad but my brain is a complete disconnect from my cravings. My fitness pal helped me see where I waste a lot of calories. Snacks, breakfast (even though I don't really like breakfast) and lunch. I'm busy at work and not a morning person, so I end up rushing out the door with something quick (overly process carbs) and a fast (fattening or nutritionally void) lunch. I know several people, one of my bridesmaids in fact, who had great success with HCG. It worked and she has kept it off. I tried it, and I'm still amazed she did it. It is so freaking hard! I was losing 1 to 1.5lbs a day (yes, it is safe) but it still wasn't/isn't enough to keep me focused. So I quit after a week (twice) A friend from college starting selling Body by Vi and she has had great success with it. Several others people we know have done great too! So I am beginning it on Tuesday (when my order gets in) It's cheap, fast, and filling. Has all your nutrition and you can replace up to two meals a day with it. I'm super busy so the conveience factor is big for me. Not to mention, its only like 1.50 per shake. Super cheap = happy fiance lol Message me if you want more info. I'll let you know how I do. One other thing, a trainer once told me to "shop the perimeter of the grocery store...nothing good comes from the middle" ... think about it fruit, veggies, protein, dairy. In the middle is overly processed, carbs, and sugary foods. Good luck girl! YOU CAN DO IT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_help-lacking-motivation-to-get-in-shape?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:0ded64b5-3ce8-44a9-be61-c06fcae759f4Post:aaee1132-7d1b-430d-9b8a-1edb99a56510">Re: Help! Lacking Motivation to Get In Shape!</a>:

This is EXCELLENT advice.  Eat real, whole foods, and avoid sugars and processed carbs.

I'm glad to hear you are not on the HCG diet anymore...I know you can lose a lot of weight, but it doesn't seem healthy to me.  Good luck on Body by Vi- sounds like a good choice for you and has good nutrition.

This is a great topic, because weight loss in general is so difficult (well at least it always has been for me.)

[QUOTE] One other thing, a trainer once told me to "shop the perimeter of the grocery store...nothing good comes from the middle" ... think about it fruit, veggies, protein, dairy. In the middle is overly processed, carbs, and sugary foods. Good luck girl! YOU CAN DO IT!
    Posted by FutureMrsBrandonLucas[/QUOTE]
  • I agree with the other posts about myfitnesspal. I love it and found that things that I eat that are healthy may still have a lot of calories and I was eating two to three times the serving size. It really helps to keep you in control of what you are eating. I also find that I workout more so that I can earn extra calories for dates out our treats on weekends. 

I also agree with finding something that you love to do as far as a work out. We have a treadmill, stationary bike and butterfly weight system in our house. FI leaves for work at 4 am and I don't usually sleep after he leaves but I don't have to leave for work until 7:30, so I get up and workout for 30 to 45 mins. Tanq is right sometimes just trying it for 10 mins or so kicks me up to keep going. 

• Get a good support system.  That is all I can say, really cause I am the laziest person known to mankind and I didn't start getting in shape until 2 months before the wedding.  I was on the June 2012 board and we did daily weigh in's and accountability and I honestly couldn't have done it without the support. Join a group, a running club, or set up an exercise schedule with a friend.....join a group online even....it's a lot easier to get in the mood to exercise if you have other people "suffering" with you!!

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks girls! I'm going to look in to everyones suggestions!!!
  • I know I'm a little late responding to this post, but up until a couple months ago, I did absolutely nothing to stay healthy in terms of working out.

My fiance asked me if I wanted to try CrossFit, and I agreed since it's something we would be doing together. Since then I have been HOOKED! I love CrossFit and I go at least 3 to 4 days per week. I actually go more than my fiance, to be honest! I love it beause the workouts are different everyday and it's always interesting.

I've also adopted eating paleo (check out http://robbwolf.com/). It's nicknamed the "caveman diet" but it's more of a lifestyle than a diet, I think. I don't want to go on about it, but just check out the website I listed above and also a book that I am absolutely loving is Paleoista by Nell Stephenson. I am basically eating protein, veggies, fruit, and nuts. No "bad" carbs like bread, pasta, rice (you already get good carbs from fruit and veggies) and you cut out grains, dairy, sugar, legumes/beans, and processed foods. 

I can honestly say that I feel and see the difference. After only a few weeks of doing CrossFit and 80/20 paleo (80% paleo, 20% not), I could see better tone, my pooch/belly going away, more energy, better complexion...etc. It feels great and I cannot stress how much CrossFit and paleo has changed my life. 

I am sooo excited to continue doing CF and paleo up until our wedding day to even afterwards because it really is that life changing! People ask me why am I deiting (I am petite at 97# 5'0"), but it's not a diet! It's what, I feel like, I was meant to eat! Since I've started CrossFit and paleo, I've actually gained weight. Yes, gained. I'm not saying everyone will gain weight, but in my case I did because I am more than sure I gained muscle and lost fat.

Anyway, I could go on and on about it all, but if you want to hear me blab about it more, just PM me... Wink
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you can, definitely find a workout buddy (your MOH or fiance or, in my case future SIL), and know that variety is key.  My SIL and I plan on adding a Kinect dance game into the mix for something fun! Variety will keep you from getting bored and having a work out buddy will help keep you motivated. And when you feel unmotivated, remember that the trick is making the first step (whether it's getting to the gym, getting out for a walk or run, or just turning on the system to use a workout DVD).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I know I wasn't the one to orignally post this but I think this will help me to lose the weight I need to.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_help-lacking-motivation-to-get-in-shape?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:0ded64b5-3ce8-44a9-be61-c06fcae759f4Post:c8f27b60-543b-4c40-ac68-0487c9463c47">Re: Help! Lacking Motivation to Get In Shape!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know I'm a little late responding to this post, but up until a couple months ago, I did absolutely nothing to stay healthy in terms of working out. My fiance asked me if I wanted to try CrossFit, and I agreed since it's something we would be doing together. Since then I have been HOOKED! I love CrossFit and I go at least 3 to 4 days per week. I actually go more than my fiance, to be honest! I love it beause the workouts are different everyday and it's always interesting. I've also adopted eating paleo (check out  <a href="http://robbwolf.com/" rel="nofollow">http://robbwolf.com/</a> ). It's nicknamed the "caveman diet" but it's more of a lifestyle than a diet, I think. I don't want to go on about it, but just check out the website I listed above and also a book that I am absolutely loving is Paleoista by Nell Stephenson. I am basically eating protein, veggies, fruit, and nuts. No "bad" carbs like bread, pasta, rice (you already get good carbs from fruit and veggies) and you cut out grains, dairy, sugar, legumes/beans, and processed foods.  I can honestly say that I feel and see the difference. After only a few weeks of doing CrossFit and 80/20 paleo (80% paleo, 20% not), I could see better tone, my pooch/belly going away, more energy, better complexion...etc. It feels great and I cannot stress how much CrossFit and paleo has changed my life.  I am sooo excited to continue doing CF and paleo up until our wedding day to even afterwards because it really is that life changing! People ask me why am I deiting (I am petite at 97# 5'0"), but it's not a diet! It's what, I feel like, I was meant to eat! Since I've started CrossFit and paleo, I've actually gained weight. Yes, gained. I'm not saying everyone will gain weight, but in my case I did because I am more than sure I gained muscle and lost fat. Anyway, I could go on and on about it all, but if you want to hear me blab about it more, just PM me... 
    Posted by dianalynm[/QUOTE]

wow, good for you! thats great!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards