Second Weddings

(skin) Foundation - - what do you wear?

I just ran out of Bare Minerals.  It was okay, but not so great that I'd drive to Oak Brook Sephora to buy more.

I read conflicting advice about <ahem /> older skin and what to wear as foundation.  Some say the powders settle into the lines/wrinkles, but I find that liquid foundation can intensify the lines/wrinkles.  Bare Minerals did a so-so job, but it was better than some of the drugstore brands.

What's everyone else using? Any luck w/ Merle Norman?   I'm off to go shopping this afternoon and there's a MN in dowtown Wheaton.

Re: (skin) Foundation - - what do you wear?

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny, I was just having this discussion with my 25 year old daughter today.  I didn't wear any foundation or powder for a couple of days, and 2 seperate persons, unsolicited, thought I was about 15 years younger than I am.  So, today I am once again wearing only eyeliner, mascara, blush and lipstick (the same things I used to wear when I was a teenager!) and then tomorrow I'm going in full drag :-) and she's going to tell me which to use. 

I'll give you a report after tomorrow :-) 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Funny you should say that.  When I'm not wearing makeup I look younger too, but I also look like a TB patient - a young TB patient, but a TB patient all the same.

I'm just not a dab hand with makeup :(
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Used Bare MInerals for a while (sensitive skin) but in pictures it makes your face look lighter than the rest of your body (the minerals reflect light back).  Was using a fruit based face powder but it doesn't last.  I wear minimal makeup but need to find something that will wear for 5 hours and not look like theater makeup.  So thank you Marrin for writing this post. It will be interesting to see the responses.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I don't know jack about foundation.  I've never worn it a day in my life. 

Looking forward to hearing about yesterday's shopping adventure ...
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I generally only wear foundation when I am REALLY dressing up, otherwise I'm like Handfast4me, I wear brown brow powder shadow (eyebrow pencils are too harsh on me), pencil liner around my eyes, mascara and blush. Sometimes lipstick.
    I did have my makeup done once at Macy's at the Dior counter, and purchased the foundation they used, Diorskin Pure Light. It's very light, and has pretty good cover. The big thing for me is to make sure I put some moisturizer under the eye area, and I also use a yellow tinted cover up to hide the under eye darkness. I use an old lipstick brush to blend/brush the coverup together with the foundation and apply it with the brush, then dabbing with my finger. Needs a light touch though, or else yes, it does make the dreaded wrinkles look more pronounced. It also has SPF 15. The good thing about it is that even if I only use it in spots, it doesn't look weird, like I only put foundation on part of my face, LOL.

Love to see what everyone else says.
    edited December 2011
    Ok, the verdict from my 25 year old daughter is that there is no difference between my no foundation and foundation face, other than I look a little more "even" in skin tone, although not much, according to her.  So, I think I'll continue to wear foundation to work (where I have to see a lot of people, in close proximity) in the winter, but in the summer, I will only wear my "teenager" make up.  LOL! 

I have really, really, really oily skin, and here in the South, I end up washing my face and completely re-applying my base, loose powder, and blush in the summer--I've tried everything, and the thing that works and stays the longest is ColorStay by Revlon.

In the winter, I will continue with Maybelline's Instant Age Eraser because it's just so dang easy to put on.  I'll also use this when we're traveling, because we do a lot of camping to Scottish Highland games, and everyone wears make up to the formal events (long dresses for women, tails for men)  even though we're camping, because I don't have to touch my face with my hands when using it.    
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
    edited December 2011
    Still smarting from the Bears loss :(

Is the Maybelline Instant Age Erase a powder foundation?  I wish I could go foundationless but I do need to even out the skin tone and add some color so I'm not mistaken for a corpse.  Even in the summer, I just cannot seem to get color on my face.

Oh and I stopped in at Goodwill yesterday to look for something to wear today like a Bears T-shirt or something Bears.  Didn't find any Bears clothing, but I did score huge on a new Liz Claiborn sweater for $6.99!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Marrin,
    Chiming in late here. I had been using Loreal foundation from the drug store for years then my sister gave me a tube of Face Fabric from Giorgio Armani that she wasn't using, and well I got hooked. It goes on sheer and you add layers with a foundation brush. It fills in all the little lines and wrinkles for me. I use a loose powder to set it. It lasts well all day and doesn't look "caked" ..... I love it!  but it's pricey. I went to replenish before our wedding and the girl gave me the wrong color, so I had to go back and get the right color. So make sure you get a good color the first time. I'm going to start ordering it on line to save the drive from Aurora to Oak Brook to get it.

I wouldn't leave my house without makeup. I always wear the full face.

BUT I get it on in less than 10 minutes. I use face cream, eye cream, concealer, foundation, powder, blush, eyeshadow, brow pencil and eyeliner then lipstick. YES 10 minutes or less, I slap it on quick and have it down to a science.

You can only get the Giorgio Armani at Nieman's in Oak Brook, not too far from Wheaton.
  • edited December 2011

I'ved Bare Minerals for several years and love it.  I don't find that my face looks lighter in pictures or any other time.  You can order it on line if that's what you decide you like. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

edited December 2011
    Alpha - how much are we talking for the Armani foundation?
    edited December 2011
    Mar--the Age Eraser Foundation is a liquid, that is applied with a round sponge.  I apply loose powder over it, due to my very oily skin. 

BTW, I've tried every foundation mentioned here so far, and dozens of others, and still prefer the Revlon Color Stay in summer when I HAVE to wear foundation for an event, or the Eraser, due to the "no hands" stuff.  A close third would be MACs foundation.  I hate Estee Lauder's foundations-waaaaay to slimy, Chanel doesn't make a color that I like (although sometimes you can get the workers there to mix you a custom shade).  Elizabeth Arden's, well, meh. 

I don't have real dark circles, but I do have  slight bluish under my eyes, and  the crow's feet, so the under eye stuff was really tough for my "wedding day" make-up.  That day I ended up mixing Lancome under eye cream with their concealer, so it wasn't as heavy. 

I also used MAC's primer on my wedding day, and still use it sometimes when we go out on the weekend, etc.  I think it really helps with smoothing everything out before I put my foundation on, and sort of fills in some of those little wrinkles. 

And, if you have oily skin like me, the "Fixer" spray that MAC has is fabulous--I use it only if I use the primer. 
    edited December 2011
    I like the primer from Sephora - shiit, I cannot remember the name and I just ran out.  It's in a clear tube.  Maybe I need to consider primer every day under foundation rather than just for special occasions.

Under my eyes is getting dark recently.  I don't know what THAT is all about.  I've got some autoimmune issues going on that have not be figured out all together, so sometimes I'm not sure what's a symptom and what's just "getting older."
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_skin-foundation-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:63ca2496-398d-4fb2-a00a-d0a844c035f5Post:a38eaea1-e438-450b-aef9-08948ce44d0f">Re: (skin) Foundation - - what do you wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the primer from Sephora - shiit, I cannot remember the name and I just ran out.  It's in a clear tube.  Maybe I need to consider primer every day under foundation rather than just for special occasions. <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Under my eyes is getting dark recently.  I don't know what THAT is all about. </strong></font> I've got some autoimmune issues going on that have not be figured out all together, so sometimes I'm not sure what's a symptom and what's just "getting older."
    Posted by Marrin713[/QUOTE]

Allergies?  Thyroid?  I bet that under-eye discoloration will be resolved once they figure out the auto-immune issues.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards