Mississippi

MS Gulf Coast Ceremony Venue

Hi all,

I just recently got engaged.  We are planning a small wedding (25 total people, including us) for next spring.  Since the guest list will be so small, we are planning a reception at a MS Gulf Coast restaurant. 

But I am having trouble coming up with an appropriate venue for a ceremony.  Every place I think of is too big for such a small ceremony.  I'd like someplace unique and nontraditional, a little offbeat.  We are not religious, so a church is out.  I prefer an indoor venue, and need something reasonably priced as we are on a strict budget.

I see this board isn't too active, but figured it would be worth a shot at least.  Thanks for any ideas.  :)

Re: MS Gulf Coast Ceremony Venue

• LDYGTR13LDYGTR13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Lorelei! I wish I could give you an idea, but I'm in Jackson. You're right about this board not being very active, but stick around! As you find out more about what's going to happen for YOUR wedding, you can help other coast brides!

Good luck!
  • fuzzisfuzzis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where have you looked already? I have a friend who works at Lynn Meadows and does a lot of wedding work on the coast. I could ask her, but I'd hate to have her suggest places that you've already crossed off the list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I honestly haven't looked anywhere.  I have lots of ideas for a reception and have started looking into those places, but I am completely at a loss when it comes to the ceremony venue.  

I am open to any and all suggestions, so long as the venue is appropriate for a small 25-30 person wedding.  I really want to find a range of places from across the coast so that depending on which restaurant we pick for the reception we can have the ceremony close by.
  • fuzzisfuzzis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So you haven't chosen the reception site either?

Have you looked at the Walter Anderson museum in Ocean Springs? Certainly a little offbeat and unique. There are lots of wonderful restaurants right there in Ocean Springs as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey everyone, 
    I'm getting married in March and my husband-elect lives in Biloxi. I want the wedding in an old fashioned church with lots of natural light, but I'm not from MS and don't know where to start looking. Any ideas?
  • fuzzisfuzzis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you looking? The coast? Southern Miss? Jackson area?

If you're looking on the coast, I'm not sure there will be a lot available. Katrina wiped away most of the old-fashioned churches.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I live here on the coast if I can help please let me know .it has been 6 years today and things are moving slow  Katrina wiped away most of the old-fashioned churches.

Please look into the Blue Rose in Pass Christian and again let me know if  can help
  • edited December 2011
    There's actually a lot of venues down here still!

The Lookout resturant in downtown Gulfport recently opened a reception area above the resturant. It's really pretty and the food is delicious.

Also, with 20-30 people, French Charlie's in Pass Christian has a perfect room above they're resturant. I went to a rehearsal dinner there and it was perfect! It overlooks Pass Harbor, has small round tables, a bar, and loungy areas to hang out. The food is a little pricey though.

Oak Crest Mansion in Pass Christian has beautiful grounds and their inside space would perfectly accommodate a smaller wedding. They let you bring your own catering and alcohol, too.

The Mockingbird Cafe in Bay St Louis is super cute! I think a wedding reception there would be sweet! You can rent the entire resturant for $850 and bring in your own caterers and they have Lazy Magnolia on tap :)http://www.mockingbirdcafe.com/images/Room%20Rental%20Brochure_Final.pdf
  • edited December 2011

Have it at the beach...maybe on the pier

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the responses everyone.  We ended up booking the Ocean Springs Community Center attached to the Walter Anderson Museum of Art.  Our wedding is going to be a little bigger than I was planning when I first posted, so we are just going to have the ceremony and reception t here.  Instead of a cocktail hour we are going to do a tour of the museum for our guests between the ceremony and reception. 

Thanks again for the feedback.  I really appreciated it.  If I'd read the last suggestion about the Mockingbird Cafe before I booked the community center, I might have gone with that suggestion.  :)  Though it looks like now our wedding will be too big for that anyway. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards