Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Who walks me down the aisle?

My fiance and I are very into tradition, so obviously, I want my dad to walk me down the aisle.  My mom and I are extremely close and she asked if she could walk me down the aisle with my dad (they are divorced) and they could give me away together.  I have yet to answer her because I'm not sure which way to go.  I love the father-daughter tradition of walking down the aisle, but I'm afraid I'll really hurt my mom's feelings if I say no.  My dad lives in another city so doesn't get to spend as much time with me as my mom does and I'm afraid if I say yes, his feelings will be hurt because he will lose that private moment with me and have to share it with my mom.  The more I think about it, I guess I wouldn't mind either way. How do I make a decision without hurting anyone's feelings?  Any advice?

On a side note:  If I wear a veil over my face, does my dad lift it when he gives me away, or does my fiance lift it when I get to him?

Re: Who walks me down the aisle?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_walks-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:89f90b4e-3bb9-466f-a1e7-0abce771723cPost:0caaf26f-7700-4189-9d46-92dd6d1166dd">Who walks me down the aisle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are very into tradition, so obviously, I want my dad to walk me down the aisle.  My mom and I are extremely close and she asked if she could walk me down the aisle with my dad (they are divorced) and they could give me away together.  I have yet to answer her because I'm not sure which way to go.  I love the father-daughter tradition of walking down the aisle, but I'm afraid I'll really hurt my mom's feelings if I say no.  My dad lives in another city so doesn't get to spend as much time with me as my mom does and I'm afraid if I say yes, his feelings will be hurt because he will lose that private moment with me and have to share it with my mom.  The more I think about it, I guess I wouldn't mind either way. <strong>How do I make a decision without hurting anyone's feelings?</strong>  Any advice? On a side note:  If I wear a veil over my face, does my dad lift it when he gives me away, or does my fiance lift it when I get to him?
    Posted by traceel9[/QUOTE]

Ask yourself what's more important, a tradition or your parents' feelings?
  • Options
    I'd walk with both of them. Presumably they both raised you (actually it sounds like your mom did a lot more than dad, but maybe he didn't always live in another city?).
  • Options
    You are right, I'm going to walk with both.  Thank you ladies!
  • Options
    My friend had this issue at her wedding. She lived with her mother and stepfather but her father was still a part of her life. Her mother and stepfather walked down before her but were stopping halfway. She walked down with her father, but then met her mother and stepfather in the middle and they walked her the rest of the way.

• Options
    If it means a lot to your mom I would let her walk you down as well.  Another option may be a special ceremony for your mom, like a rose presentation. But if she still insists on walking down the aisle then it may not be worth it to be 'ultra' tradtional  and exclude her.
  • Options
    Hey my father is an asshole so he might not make it to the aisle. Go ahead and let both of your parents walk you down the aisle and tell them not to step on your dress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards