Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

anyone miss their old last name?

I thought I would looove having DH's last name.  Now that I have it, I miss my old name.  I keep seeing my new last name on facebook and I keep thinking "that is not my name".  We have only been married for a month, so I guess it needs to grow on me.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: anyone miss their old last name?

• Not really.  To me its only a name though. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I really didn't want to change it but it was important to him so I did.  I was mentally bracing myself for not liking the change but it hasn't been horrible so far.  At least people don't constantly ask me to respell my name again now and I've gotten used to it.  
  • It took me a good while to get used to it.  We've been married a little over 6 months now and it feels weird to use my maiden now.
  • I am still on the fence about changing my name to his last name. I think most likely i will change it but I think I will feel the same as you do. The feeling should pass though.
    The most beautiful things in the world are not seen nor touched. They are felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't miss my old name at all!! I had the worst last name, and now I have a nice, simple one, it's great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't miss it at all!  Now nobody knows that I'm related to my embarrassing relatives! :)
  • Even after 30 years, I miss the simplicity of my maiden name.  I have spelled my name probably once a day for 30 years.  Love the man...still don't appreciate the name!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • I've been married for 10 months now. It took me a while to "get used to" his name being my name, when introducing myself ...  and I actually still will forget to sign the new one sometimes (I've signed the same name since I was old enough to write, it's a hard habit to break) ...

... but never once have I actually found myself "missing" my maiden name. I totally hated my maiden name and couldn't wait to drop it.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I'm not married yet but I will miss my last name. My last name is very unique and FI's is very common. I've never known another person with my last name and I like it.
  • Brianabrad, that's how my last name is too!  The only person that comes up on a google search of my name is me and the only people who have my last name are relatives I know.  His last name is as common as brown.  But, at least people can spell it.  So, in a way, I miss being unique and I feel bad that my last name will probably die out.  But, on the other hand, I like never having to spell my name.  
  • The only weird part to my name change is that I live in a small town where my maiden name is super common since my dad's fam are mostly lawyers, farmers and politicians.  Before the marriage, I could say my name and people would be like "Which one is your father?", etc.  Now when I say my name, the conversation just continues.  No one recognizes me hahah In a way, I kinda like it!
  • I'll be getting married in Feb. and will miss my last name so I think I'm going to add it to my middle name that way I'll still have my fiance's last name and still get to keep my name.
  • I didn't change my name, but I have been called Mrs. HisLastName a couple of times and didn't respond right away.

Most recently was a couple of weeks ago when H had outpatient knee surgery.  When the nurse came into the waiting room to let me know I could see him, she called out "Mrs. HisLastName" at least three times before I was "Oh, duh.  That's me."

Embarassed
  • edited November 2010
    I actually don't like my last name.  There are about 3 or 4 families in our area with the same last name, and it's funny because the 3 or 4 of us don't seem to be related!  So I get asked all the time if I'm related to people I've never heard of.  It also gets misspelled constantly.  FI has a pretty cool last name that's easy to spell and not terribly common, though he often gets asked "OH, so are you related to the Senator?"  In any case, I'm excited to change it.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_anyone-miss-their-old-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:b60b2b5a-fdff-4825-9e98-28781c62ce6cPost:63b6d7c1-0f41-48a6-981b-3a20ca11d9d9">Re: anyone miss their old last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE] It took me a while to "get used to" his name being my name, when introducing myself ...  and I actually still will forget to sign the new one sometimes (I've signed the same name since I was old enough to write, it's a hard habit to break) ...  ... but never once have I actually found myself "missing" my maiden name.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Ditto this .... I accidentally signed my maiden name the other day and was like oh crap, that's not my name anymore. LOL

I don't miss it, just takes some getting used to.
    Anniversary
  • I knew that I would, that is why I kept it and just added his on.  I have two last names and I am okay with that.  It was a happy medium.  
  • I am sure that I will miss my last name.  But what works for me is I am marrying a guy thats unique and his last name almost rhymes....to the point that Dad (the in-law Dad) actually said "K.../N....Wedding Party"  Hey!! Try to say that five times fast!  At least my name will still flow a bit...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI has the most terrible sounding last name! No one can spell or pronounce it! Ugh, I'm so not looking for to it. I was prevoiusly married, but when I got divorced, I kept my ex's name because we have a son. So now, on top of the horrible new last name, it'll be different than my son's and I really don't like that. Although I don't blame FI for not wanting me to keep my ex's last name...

Anniversary Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I miss it..I didn't want to change it, but it was important to him. I'll get used to it, but I loved my old name and my new last name is kind of...ugly.
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_anyone-miss-their-old-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:b60b2b5a-fdff-4825-9e98-28781c62ce6cPost:688ebb60-217e-4375-87dc-d4eff6f1401e">Re: anyone miss their old last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't miss it at all!  Now nobody knows that I'm related to my embarrassing relatives! :)
    Posted by Trae021[/QUOTE]

hilarious and now that you mention it I will be looking foward to the name change for that reason as well!
    image 190 Invitations mailed
    image 118 Are ready to party!
    image 12 Are missing out
    image 60 Are going to make me call them
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My maiden name is now my middle name, so it's still with me.  I happily dropped my generic middle name.

I love that my new last name, unlike my maiden name, is easy to spell.  One thing I do occasionally need to explain is how this white woman got a distinctly Chinese/Taiwanese surname.
  • I wont even be married for 4 more months and I miss my last name already!!  I didn't want to change but as another poster said, it mattered to him and I want to be joined to him! Laughing
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_anyone-miss-their-old-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:b60b2b5a-fdff-4825-9e98-28781c62ce6cPost:63b6d7c1-0f41-48a6-981b-3a20ca11d9d9">Re: anyone miss their old last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been married for 10 months now. It took me a while to "get used to" his name being my name, when introducing myself ...  and I actually still will forget to sign the new one sometimes (I've signed the same name since I was old enough to write, it's a hard habit to break) ...  ... but never once have I actually found myself "missing" my maiden name. I totally hated my maiden name and couldn't wait to drop it.
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

Same for me! I find myself at work saying, hi this is Meg P- (maiden name), instead of Meg Y-. (DH's name) Then I can't correct myself because it looks pretty dumb if you are getting your own name wrong! I am just not used to it yet and then maiden name is like a reflex.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_anyone-miss-their-old-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:b60b2b5a-fdff-4825-9e98-28781c62ce6cPost:09f47035-1f2f-49d3-8daf-40d49b953694">Re: anyone miss their old last name?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be getting married in Feb. and will miss my last name so I think I'm going to add it to my middle name that way I'll still have my fiance's last name and still get to keep my name.
    Posted by chellymarie[/QUOTE]

I second this!  My last name is also a common first name, and because of that, people have constantly called me by my last name my entire life.  It's going to be soooooooo weird to not have that anymore! 

I basically will end up doing the same thing - hyphenating(sp?) my middle name with my current last name.  That way it'll still be a part of me!
    Anniversary
  • I know alot of people who thought they would be totally ok with changing their name...until the time came.  My cousin actually had a very rough time...she felt like she was losing her identity.  I thought it was a little ridiculous, I agree its just a name, but she really struggled and it took her over 2 years of marriage to even hyphenate.  I dont think ill have a problem but im worried that i unexpectedly will after hearing what other people have gone through.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards