Getting in Shape

Cake tasting week, yay!

This weekend is our cake tasting, which I can't wait for!  But after that yay in my head, automatically comes an 'uh oh' thought.  I'd like some suggestions please.  Do I: 1. just make sure to work out that day and guess at how many calories I may have 'tasted' that day and hope I'm within my range, or 2. Try to be under on calories for the rest of the week to build up a weekly deficit to cover it (and then also make sure to work out the morning of)?  I know, it's all a bit obsessive, but I've been doing really well lately, and basically not eating anything I can't log on MFP, and I've got my rhythm going and don't want to sway from it.  Suggestions? :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Re: Cake tasting week, yay!

• Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    If you really can't skip tracking, I would just get a good workout in that day and log a generic slice from Mfp before you even go so that you've left calories in your limit. Whatever you do, make sure to enjoy such a special and fun time, and not stress over it too much!
    Anniversary
  • Me, too! I'm going on Saturday and I can't wait. I'm going to be out of town and super busy so I probably won't even be able to work out so cheat day for me! 
  • I had my cake tasting 2 weekends ago. I was really good and healthy eating all week. Before going, I had a healthy breakfast. When I got there, I thought I was going to gorge myself on cake but I ended up only eating the whole samples that I really enjoyed....which amounted to the size of a small piece of cake. I tracked it...and actually had plenty of points for the rest of the day and we had a late dinner.

I've been working on a few things. One is that i don't eat something that is a splurge if I don't really enjoy it. Another is that I just need to be strong enough long enough to make a healthy decision. In this case, when I wasn't in love with a piece, I just gave it to FI or FMIL (who came with us). Once it was on their plate, I wasn't going to go back to it.

Enjoy the day, it was really fun and delicious!!

• Muppetfan makes a really good point - if you take a bite and don't like it, don't eat it. Anticpiate that you will probably be over on calories for the day, but that's OK!

When we did our tasting, because we had cupcakes we got to pick like 12 flavors of cupcakes to sample, so there were 12 huge cupcakes...we cut each of them into fourths (some of them into 6ths) and shared everything with our family and friends. I didn't get to try every single flavor of cupcake, but we put together a chart of each of the cupcakes and scored each one based on the opinion of those who tried it.

To be honest, after eating probably the equivalent of one giant cupcake, I had had my fill of sugar and didn't really WANT anymore. It's possible that will happen to you. Don't feel obligated to finish everything in front of you.

Most importantly though, have fun :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cake-tasting-week-yay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c296b351-29ec-4619-9f00-8a3862e8810cPost:9695b3b2-dc60-432e-a161-84071d1bf81e">Re: Cake tasting week, yay!</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>To be honest, after eating probably the equivalent of one giant cupcake, I had had my fill of sugar and didn't really WANT anymore</strong>. It's possible that will happen to you. Don't feel obligated to finish everything in front of you. Most importantly though, have fun :)
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

I'm a sugar fiend...and  cake fiend....and that happened to me. I'm sure it's becuase I've been eating healthier for several months now because 6 months ago, I would've gone to town on that platter...but I was very satisfied with what I had.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cake-tasting-week-yay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c296b351-29ec-4619-9f00-8a3862e8810cPost:9695b3b2-dc60-432e-a161-84071d1bf81e">Re: Cake tasting week, yay!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Muppetfan makes a really good point - if you take a bite and don't like it, don't eat it.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

I agree! One of my rules on desserts is that I only eat them if they are really extra-specially delicious. I am never going to waste calories on something mediocre like a Chips Deluxe cookie or cheap drug store chocolates. I'd rather cheat with a cannoli from a great NY bakery or one of those freshly made chocolate lava cakes that you have to order before dinner because they take 30 minutes to bake.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cake-tasting-week-yay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c296b351-29ec-4619-9f00-8a3862e8810cPost:c5e02336-b73c-4c28-a802-f6b12ab55c36">Re: Cake tasting week, yay!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake tasting week, yay! : I agree! One of my rules on desserts is that I only eat them if they are really extra-specially delicious. I am never going to waste calories on something mediocre like a Chips Deluxe cookie or cheap drug store chocolates.<strong> I'd rather cheat with a cannoli from a great NY bakery or one of those freshly made chocolate lava cakes that you have to order before dinner because they take 30 minutes to bake.</strong>
    Posted by AndreaJulia[/QUOTE]

<div>Now you're making me crave good sweets!</div>
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks ladies, all good points, especially the part about not continuing if I don't immediately love it.  Cake is not my favorite dessert to start with, so if I don't like it, the new rule is then "forget it!"  :)  I AM actually looking very forward to the design part, I can't wait to start getting some ideas down on paper!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards