Moms and Maids

does everyone get there hair done together?

My wedding is in May, and I have started to search for the salon i'll be using for my hair and makeup. I was under the impression that me and my girls would go, and have a nice morning/afternoon together. Possibly a light breakfast before, and then get our hair/makeup done after that. Well, after speaking with my fiance's sister who is one of my bridesmaids, she told me she and her mom (my FMIL) would be going to their personal hair stylist. I have to admit I had a "moment" when she said that because I just thought it was kind of what you did the day of the wedding. I invision us girls with a glass of wine and lots of laughs and pictures. Am I crazy??

I explained to her that I would like her with me, but she insists she "owes it to HER hairdresser"! My fiance totally spoke up for me (as he has seen on all the bridal shows) that the wedding party typically goes together to get ready. After this conversation my FSIL said that her hair dresser could do our hair and would come to us. I am willing to do a trial with her.However, with 6 girls I feel it makes more sense to go to a salon and have each girl have their hair done at the same time. Not to mention I still need a makeup artist. What do you guys think I should do? Let her get her hair done somewhere else and hope she gets to the wedding on time and looks good, or put my foot down and demand she comes with the rest of us?

Oh and we have a great relationship, and she usually loves hanging out with me which is why this took me by surprise. 

Re: does everyone get there hair done together?

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:8a97f055-97bb-4029-b3f8-908b732fb4d5">does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in May, and I have started to search for the salon i'll be using for my hair and makeup. I was under the impression that me and my girls would go, and have a nice morning/afternoon together. Possibly a light breakfast before, and then get our hair/makeup done after that. Well, after speaking with my fiance's sister who is one of my bridesmaids, she told me she and her mom (my FMIL) would be going to their personal hair stylist. I have to admit I had a "moment" when she said that because I just thought it was kind of what you did the day of the wedding. I invision us girls with a glass of wine and lots of laughs and pictures. Am I crazy??   I explained to her that I would like her with me, but she insists she "owes it to HER hairdresser"! <strong>My fiance totally spoke up for me (as he has seen on all the bridal shows) that the wedding party typically goes together to get ready.</strong> After this conversation my FSIL said that her hair dresser could do our hair and would come to us. I am willing to do a trial with her.However, with 6 girls I feel it makes more sense to go to a salon and have each girl have their hair done at the same time. Not to mention I still need a makeup artist. What do you guys think I should do? Let her get her hair done somewhere else and hope she gets to the wedding on time and looks good, or put my foot down and demand she comes with the rest of us?   Oh and we have a great relationship, and she usually loves hanging out with me which is why this took me by surprise. 
    Posted by luvredstockins[/QUOTE]
    Some people are very, very particular about who they'll allow to touch their hair.  You also cannot mandate that they get their hair done by a certain stylist unless you're willing to foot the entire bill.  Presumably your FSIL is an adult, so treat her like one.  Tell her the time you need her there and trust her to take care of it.

And I think you and your FI need to stop watching wedding shows on TV.  That's not how reality works, and the TV shows don't show you the aftermath, which is the bride's friends and family refusing to associate any longer with someone who treats them like crap.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:8a97f055-97bb-4029-b3f8-908b732fb4d5">does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in May, and I have started to search for the salon i'll be using for my hair and makeup. I was under the impression that me and my girls would go, and have a nice morning/afternoon together. Possibly a light breakfast before, and then get our hair/makeup done after that. Well, after speaking with my fiance's sister who is one of my bridesmaids, she told me she and her mom (my FMIL) would be going to their personal hair stylist. I have to admit I had a "moment" when she said that because I just thought it was kind of what you did the day of the wedding. I invision us girls with a glass of wine and lots of laughs and pictures. Am I crazy??   I explained to her that I would like her with me, but she insists she "owes it to HER hairdresser"! My fiance totally spoke up for me (as he has seen on all the bridal shows) that the wedding party typically goes together to get ready. After this conversation my FSIL said that her hair dresser could do our hair and would come to us. I am willing to do a trial with her.However, with 6 girls I feel it makes more sense to go to a salon and have each girl have their hair done at the same time. Not to mention I still need a makeup artist. What do you guys think I should do? Let her get her hair done somewhere else and hope she gets to the wedding on time and looks good, or put my foot down and demand she comes with the rest of us?   Oh and we have a great relationship, and she usually loves hanging out with me which is why this took me by surprise. 
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • mkruparmkrupar member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If you're paying for her to get her hair done, then yes, you get to pick the salon/stylist. If she's on her own for hair, then she can choose to go wherever she wants or even do it herself.

ETA: Also, you said that you two get along great. Is this really a battle worth fighting if it could irreparably damage the relationship. This is your FSIL. You'll have to deal with her forever if you two don't get along.
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, they're not required to get their hair done with you.  In fact, unless you're paying for their hair, you shouldn't be requiring their hair to be done professionally at all.  Let her go to her hairdresser and she can join you after.  I get that it's not your vision of how the day would go, but maybe FSIL only trusts this hairdresser to do her hair how she likes it.  This isn't a hill you want to die on and it's not something you can compel.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • edited December 2011
    Best advice I've been given so far:  forget the "rules".  There is no written law that says the bridal party must have their hair done all at the same place, at the same time.  It doesn't matter what the bridal shows tell you, or what you see on the bridal shows...the bridal shows are not planning YOUR wedding.  Let this one ride.

PS:  I can't help it, it's the Grammar Police in me:  no one is getting "there" hair done.  "There" refers to a place.  Even your largest bridesmaid is not big enough to qualify as a building, city, country, state, or even a small patch of land. Your bridesmaids are getting "their" hair done.
    Photobucket

Best granddaughter ever: Everleigh Brielle, born 01.04.2012

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• edited December 2011
    No, you are not crazy, just wrong. The bridal party getting their hair done together is not uncommon, but I would not say that it's typical, and it is certainly not mandatory. Do not "demand" that your FSIL or FMIL get their hair done with you; it's a horrible way to treat people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to does everyone get there hair done together?: What do you guys think I should do? Let her get her hair done somewhere else and hope she gets to the wedding on time and looks good, or put my foot down and demand she comes with the rest of us?   Oh and we have a great relationship, and she usually loves hanging out with me which is why this took me by surprise. 

Yes, absolutely! Your FMIL and FSIL are adults who can handle the task of grooming themselves for your wedding. It's okay if you want to offer your bms the OPTION of having your stylist do their hair, but don't insist upon it. And definitely don't try to force anyone to submit to your makeup artist. Just thinking about that makes my face itchy.

• AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, the wedding industry strikes again. 

You and your FI need to turn on the TV and actually think about the situation. The wedding industry is wanting your money and they are doing everything they can to get your business. So try not to get tricked into doing something just because you seen it in a "wedding" show or magazine. 

So let FSIL and FMIL do their own thing, hair can be very personal to people and to force them to go with you to the salon is a selfish move (my cousin is half black and she has a very specific hair dresser that she goes to get it styled). If anything they can get there hair done early and can still meet up when you actually get dress (this is very common with weddings I've been in and gone to). 

FYI, if you require any of your BMs to have their hair professionally done then you have to pay for it. 
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:73475727-21ff-4117-ac3e-dc738097030e">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, you are not crazy, just wrong. The bridal party getting their hair done together is not uncommon, but I would not say that it's typical, and it is certainly not mandatory. Do not "demand" that your FSIL or FMIL get their hair done with you; it's a horrible way to treat people. 
    Posted by NatandIsaac[/QUOTE]

This exactly. It really isn't a big deal or anything to get upset over. It's just hair and makeup. And I'm one of those people who is terribly picky about what stylists touch my hair and face (for make-up). If a bride offered to pay for me to go to her stylists, I'd honestly politely decline just because I'd prefer to pay for my own stylist. It isn't anything against the bride, I'm just particular about my hair.
  • Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No not everyone gets their hair done together.  My MOH has been up my behind with this issue saying she will be at my house at 6 AM on the day of the wedding so we can get our hair done together (my hairstylist is coming to my house).  I'm avoiding this issue until the week of the wedding because just thinking about it makes me frustrated at how ridiculous this is. 

My MOH is getting married the year after and if she wants us all to have our hair done together, I will get mad.  I have ONE hairstylist who has been cutting my hair since I was 3.  I don't want anyone else styling, cutting or doing whatever else with my hair.  That's just me.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    Dont ever ever EVER make decisions about your wedding based on what you see on staged "reality" wedding shows.  Little to none of that is authentic.

If you want everyone to get their hair done together at the same place, you need to pay for it.  I am personally not a fan of that--they are adults and don't need to be managed like this.  The same hairstyle doesn't work on everyone (I say this as the girl whose hair cannot hold curls and was made to wear them during a wedding--you can imagine how awful it looked).  Plus not everyone wants pro hair and may prefer to do it themselves.

You can certainly OFFER to book appointments for everyone, but do yourself and them a favor and let everyone book their own appointments or do their own hair.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    edited December 2011
    Like everyone else, I would NOT make an issue of this. They'll get their hair done where they want; offer to pay for the others to have it done with you and see what the rest want to do.

My bridal party was split for hair and makeup. I let everyone know I was getting mine done at X place and I'd be happy to pay for theirs if they wanted to get it done there too, but it was up to them. Since some of the bridal party was traveling for a couple hours, two of them got their hair and makeup done at their own places in their own cities. MOH (my sister) and 1 BM came with me. Mom got her hair and makeup done at the same place, since it was her regular place, but she came in later. MIL and SILs also lived a couple of hours away and preferred to get theirs done at their own places before driving in.

FWIW, we were all together in the bridal suite at the venue before the wedding started and that was fun.

But individual preferences and logistics have to take priority over some dream vision that you have.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    For my DDs wedding, most of the girls went together to get their hair done because it was convenient.  One BM couldn't make it because of work.  She arrived about 90 minutes before the wedding.

She did her own hair, looked gorgeous, and was every bit as much a BM as the other girls.

You're in danger of crossing over into that territory where "wedding" overtakes common sense. 

You know how Christmas commercials show adorable children dressed in cuddly jammies sitting in front of a roaring fire, in a home that is gorgeously decorated for a Victorian Christmas?  And the children are  contentedly listening to mommy and daddy read "The Night Before Christmas", and everything looks like a Hallmark Christmas card?  And how that's never, ever, ever happened IRL?

That's what the wedding "myths" are like.  Because that's what the wedding industry has convinced people is reality.  It's not.  It's a magazine spread.  It's a "reality" tv show.  It's movies made for tv or big screen that have actors and multimillion dollar budgets.

Come on back to reality.  This is SO not a big deal, that two weeks after your wedding you'll be shaking your head saying "I was really upset about this?  Boy was I being silly."
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:412fc30b-c2e8-4820-824d-be25628128f4">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE] You know how Christmas commercials show adorable children dressed in cuddly jammies sitting in front of a roaring fire, in a home that is gorgeously decorated for a Victorian Christmas?  And the children are  contentedly listening to mommy and daddy read "The Night Before Christmas", and everything looks like a Hallmark Christmas card?  And how that's never, ever, ever happened IRL? 
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]
    Reminds me of those commercials where Dad and the kids make a huge mess in the kitchen, stand there like deer in the headlights, and Mom walks in and she just smiles, grabs a sheet of Bounty, and cleans it up while they watch, then everyone shares a good laugh.  I wonder if I should tell my mom that THAT is how she was supposed to react every time I made a mess growing up...
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BMs all went to the same salon as me, but thats because 2 of the 5 go there anyways, 2 others live OOT and don't go anywhere in the area, and the 5th didn't get her hair done at all but got makeup done and came for the fun of it.  I didn't make anyone go, and didn't require they get it done.  I said "I'm getting my hair and makeup done at X salon for the wedding.  If you want to get yours done as well I can make appointments for you, but don't feel obligated to go there, or even get it done at all."  Yes I had fun with my BMs, and my mom who also came, but my day would have been just as fine and we would be just as married if they didn't come.

Many people are very particular about their hair and makeup, whether its because of allergies to other makeup, or just because they don't trust other people.  Don't force them to go somewhere, unless you are paying for the entire thing and the tip.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:412fc30b-c2e8-4820-824d-be25628128f4">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know how Christmas commercials show adorable children dressed in cuddly jammies sitting in front of a roaring fire, in a home that is gorgeously decorated for a Victorian Christmas?  And the children are  contentedly listening to mommy and daddy read "The Night Before Christmas", and everything looks like a Hallmark Christmas card?  And how that's never, ever, ever happened IRL? Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

Please don't kill my Christmas dreams just yet, Trix :(

But in all seriousness, OP, this is a very good analogy.
  • edited December 2011
    My mom and I are taking all of my BM's for hair appointments.  They can DIY makeup, but we want to give them a little pampering on their hair... for a BM cast full of people who typically don't spend $$ on that type of thing, it will be like going to the spa!!  Someone ELSE to do their hair!  Awesome.  If you have the budget, go for it.  If you don't, then don't say anything to the BM's about their hair. 

EDIT: My BM's are all OOT. so it make sense for me to take them to my choice of hair dressers.  If they were local, I would probably be more flexible especially if they were picky about hair dressers. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    If you pay for it, you can tell them you'll only pay for it at a certain place. But you shouldn't require them to go to that place, or even get their hair done professionally at all (although as long as you pay for it, I can't think of a reason a girl would turn it down).
  • jcamm11jcamm11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I imagine the girls lunch with lots of laughs and pictures too.  Maybe they can get their hair done first, the show up at the salon and go to lunch together?  Something along those lines.  Their's shouldn't take as long.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow thanks for all the advice ladies! In the end, I'm sure I will laugh this off! I guess I failed to mention that she never shows up for anything including Christmas dinner, or our engagement party, and she blew me off the day she was supposed to order her dress. With that being said... I have this fear that if I am not with her the entire day, she may disappear! Regardless, I can't control it all (though I'd love to), and I'll hope for the best. When it's all said and done, I'm marrying a great guy, and that's all that matters. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:0b47db4f-43a5-4a24-974f-8f572c52ea91">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]PS:  I can't help it, it's the Grammar Police in me:  no one is getting "there" hair done.  "There" refers to a place.  Even your largest bridesmaid is not big enough to qualify as a building, city, country, state, or even a small patch of land. Your bridesmaids are getting "their" hair done.
    Posted by lavieboheme73[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the grammar lesson...my MBA didn't cover that!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:c0fb8df4-934f-446f-811e-58f562fff8dd">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: does everyone get there hair done together? : Thanks for the grammar lesson...my MBA didn't cover that!

<div>Um, didn't 4th grade cover that topic at least?</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:c0fb8df4-934f-446f-811e-58f562fff8dd">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: does everyone get there hair done together? : Thanks for the grammar lesson...my MBA didn't cover that!
    Seriously, you have an MBA and you contemplated making your BMs get their hair done together because you saw it on reality TV?  
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• edited December 2011
    ok, i have to disagree with practically every poster here!!!!  isn't the purpose of being a bridesmaid to be with the bride, join her in all the 'getting ready' activities, uphold her and be by her side the majority of the day???

if the girls are planning on getting their hair done and paying for it, i don't understand why they feel the need to go somewhere else!  this day is about you, and if you want them to be with you when you're getting ready, i think that is important!  yes, i understand people are hair dresser picky (i certainly am!) but i've always put my preferences aside to make my friend the bride happy.

Also, I've been in plenty of weddings.  Almost all of my friends are married.  I've never known a bridal party that doesnt get their hair done in the same place! 

My suggestion?  Tell her you want her to be there the day of.  That you envision her by your side, it's important to you and what you've dreamed of!  If she doesn't budge, then maybe it's worth letting go.  But a little honesty never hurt :)

and by the way, who cares about the 'there'!  i work with doctors who can't spell 'wheel'...spelling/grammar does not indicate intelligence!!!
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:4192d723-5d8f-4bd4-8807-7e56f2780149">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, i have to disagree with practically every poster here!!!!  isn't the purpose of being a bridesmaid to be with the bride, join her in all the 'getting ready' activities, uphold her and be by her side the majority of the day??? if the girls are planning on getting their hair done and paying for it, i don't understand why they feel the need to go somewhere else!  this day is about you, and if you want them to be with you when you're getting ready, i think that is important!  yes, i understand people are hair dresser picky (i certainly am!) but i've always put my preferences aside to make my friend the bride happy. Also, I've been in plenty of weddings.  Almost all of my friends are married.  I've never known a bridal party that doesnt get their hair done in the same place!  My suggestion?  Tell her you want her to be there the day of.  That you envision her by your side, it's important to you and what you've dreamed of!  If she doesn't budge, then maybe it's worth letting go.  But a little honesty never hurt :) and by the way, who cares about the 'there'!  i work with doctors who can't spell 'wheel'...spelling/grammar does not indicate intelligence!!!
    Posted by mikeynkrib2011[/QUOTE]
    <div>Most ridiculous response I've ever seen.   And I wouldn't want any doctor operating on me if they can't spell at a basic fourth grade level.  People who say this doesn't matter are people who are either lazy or uneducated--which are you?</div>
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:4192d723-5d8f-4bd4-8807-7e56f2780149">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, i have to disagree with practically every poster here!!!!  <strong>isn't the purpose of being a bridesmaid to be with the bride, join her in all the 'getting ready' activities, uphold her and be by her side the majority of the day???</strong> if the girls are planning on getting their hair done and paying for it, i don't understand why they feel the need to go somewhere else!  this day is about you, and if you want them to be with you when you're getting ready, i think that is important!  yes, i understand people are hair dresser picky (i certainly am!) but i've always put my preferences aside to make my friend the bride happy. Also, I've been in plenty of weddings.  Almost all of my friends are married.  I've never known a bridal party that doesnt get their hair done in the same place!  My suggestion?  Tell her you want her to be there the day of.  That you envision her by your side, it's important to you and what you've dreamed of!  If she doesn't budge, then maybe it's worth letting go.  But a little honesty never hurt :) and by the way, who cares about the 'there'!  i work with doctors who can't spell 'wheel'...spelling/grammar does not indicate intelligence!!!
    Posted by mikeynkrib2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh. I thought that was your mommy did on your first day of preschool. I didn't realize that bridesmaids serve the same purpose. My bad.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:4192d723-5d8f-4bd4-8807-7e56f2780149">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, i have to disagree with practically every poster here!!!!  isn't the purpose of being a bridesmaid to be with the bride, join her in all the 'getting ready' activities, uphold her and be by her side the majority of the day??? if the girls are planning on getting their hair done and paying for it, i don't understand why they feel the need to go somewhere else!  this day is about you, and if you want them to be with you when you're getting ready, i think that is important!  yes, i understand people are hair dresser picky (i certainly am!) but i've always put my preferences aside to make my friend the bride happy. Also, I've been in plenty of weddings.  Almost all of my friends are married.  I've never known a bridal party that doesnt get their hair done in the same place!  My suggestion?  Tell her you want her to be there the day of.  That you envision her by your side, it's important to you and what you've dreamed of!  If she doesn't budge, then maybe it's worth letting go.  But a little honesty never hurt :) and by the way, who cares about the 'there'!  i work with doctors who can't spell 'wheel'...spelling/grammar does not indicate intelligence!!!

No, the purpose of a BM is to stand up and support one of their close friends get married. It has nothing to do with getting her hair done with the bride. Seriously, it's just the wedding day. Why would a bride care SO MUCH about one BM's hair and where she gets it done? That's losing sight of the day. If it's going to "make the bride SO happy" to have a BM get her hair done with her for an hour, then the bride doesn't seem to realize what the real purpose of the day is. It's just hair (and it isn't the bride's hair). The OP had a fantastic response to the advice, because she was able to realize what is important on her wedding day.

Just because "everyone else" does something, doesn't mean it should be done. That's just poor logic.
  • edited December 2011

Oh my god. You people are awful! I had an honest question about bridal parties, and no it's not because of what I've seen on TV. What I said was my FI agreed with me because he has seen it on TV. He's a guy...he has no idea about this stuff. Regardless, I do not know one wedding party that didn't all go together. It's possible there is a difference in lifestyles from where I live, and where you all live.

The reason I want my FSIL there is because she is my FSIL!! I want her there to support me, and to have a great time start to finish. It's not really about the hair!  There is nothing wrong with that! I do agree that I should not let this effect our relationship, and I won't. If she does not want to be with the rest of us, that is fine.

I would like to know how showing up right before the wedding, standing for 25 mins, and drinking the rest of the night with your date, is showing support for a close friend!?

I have seen posts that knotties are rude, and very judgemental, but I thought I would give it a shot. My mistake.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:c0944c97-f2ca-477e-abe6-3873717dd4e1">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: does everyone get there hair done together? : Most ridiculous response I've ever seen.   And I wouldn't want any doctor operating on me if they can't spell at a basic fourth grade level.  People who say this doesn't matter are people who are either lazy or uneducated--which are you?
    Posted by bablingbrooke[/QUOTE]

That is just rude! What is wrong with you!?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_everyone-there-hair-done-together?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:81cac8b4-3e43-4aa4-88ab-d32787a0ca92Post:4192d723-5d8f-4bd4-8807-7e56f2780149">Re: does everyone get there hair done together?</a>:

Thanks for the advice! Atleast I know one person on here agrees :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards