Ohio-Columbus

Reception at Camp Mary Orton?

Hello ladies! We are thinking of having our reception at Camp Mary Orton. It's located just north of Columbus. The only thing we are worried about is the lodge does not have air conditioning and our wedding is in the middle of July. The reception will be in the evening and they do have windows and fans but I am a little nervous about the heat. Has anyone been to a wedding there or have any thoughts? It really is a beautiful location.
"Tusa gan einne eile" Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception at Camp Mary Orton?

• edited December 2011
    please don't do that to your guests. think about if it were as hot as it is right now. your party would end so soon and that would be a terrible shame.
  • edited December 2011
    I would agree. My cousin had a wedding at a non-air conditioned barn and it was miserable. I remember it and I was little. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure it would be very nice, but I think if you really want to have it there you should look at dates in the spring, like late April, or sometime in October. On days like these fans and windows don't make a bit of difference and this is the weather you could have on your wedding day.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago at camp mary orton the windows and fans don't really help many people left early and the rest of us sat outside the whole night we didn't see hardly any of the events. it was nice but not for july 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would suggest not having it there. I would think May would be a great time in that location, or possibly late Sept/early Oct. June-Aug would be miserable. Please don't do that to your guests. If you do, I can almost guarantee guests will go home early. 
  • osuchica85osuchica85 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rent some portable ac units if you are concerned. I wouldn't be though. I went to a wedding at everal barn about 5 years back in late July and it was fine. At the time, it didn't have AC, just fans and open doors. I guess that changed because my dad said he went to an event there a few weeks ago and it does now. Anyway, it was probably about 85-90 that day. The reception started around 5pm.  I enjoyed myself...and I wasn't liquored up either since it everal barn is in Westerville. Now, I am not saying I wasn't sweating but honestly every wedding I've ever gone to I've sweat. It didn't matter if there was ac or not, so whatever. I figure if people have picnics and bbq's, etc at the park why worry? Do what you want because it's your wedding. You know the personalities of the crowd you are inviting. I say if you like it though, go for it in a cooler month or get some ac units for piece of mind.
  • sandymbmesandymbme member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I (have been married before, my guy is a HUGE improvement in every way!) Got married outside, in Las Vegas, in July. And don't let peope fool you, just because it has low humidity does not change the fact that going outside felt like venturing into an over. But I say if you are planning an evening/twilight wedding where the worst of the heat is passed, and you give your guests fans (paper fans make a difference, and are a pretty affordable favor.) I think you will be fine. Wether can be ugly in Ohio any time of year. Your can broil in July, but you can also get blizzards in april. It is beyond your control, so choose the date and the venue that makes you happy!

Sandy
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! I just emailed a place that rents portable units and asked for a quote on how much it'd be to rent for the day. I think that would make me feel better (as long as it's not ridiculously expensive to rent them!).
  • edited December 2011
    I emailed a place that rents portable AC units, I think that would make a huge difference in my guests comfort. And of course I don't want to be baking in a wedding dress!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to see about renting portable AC units, hopefully that will help keep the temps lower!
  • jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had never heard of Camp Mary Orton before so I went to their website--it looks great if you want a rustic-themed wedding!  I agree though--AC units!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • KellyRVTKellyRVT member
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding on my birthday several years ago (it's July 27th :)  and I will FOREVER remember the fact that the church did not have any air conditioning. It was absolutely miserable and all I could think about was how badly I wanted it to be over so we could get out of there. I sweated through my dress, my make-up sweated off and I felt sick, it was seriously 100 degrees in there. The poor bride was swaying at the alter and I'm sure it wasn't because of the nerves. I think everyone was nervous she was going to pass out, I can't imagine how hot she had to be in that dress.That is not how you want your guests, or you, to feel on your wedding day.

Great idea on the a/c units, although the venue might try to charge you more since you are putting a decent dent in their electricity. And, depending on how high the ceiling is in the lodge it might not even help. It might be worth considering a different date f that is the place you really want to have your wedding. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input! Unfortunately the date is set in stone, it has to be in the summer since I'm attending OSU's vet school and our break is June-Aug. Also, everything else is booked for that day! We were planning on using the church for our reception but it ended up being too small so now we are looking at other options. We're going to check out the lodge this Sunday and discuss using AC units then. It's perfect if it wasn't for the heat!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_reception-camp-mary-orton?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:d7fdf33e-060a-4d4a-a9de-c766ba796ec4Post:06955d74-3c4a-4fbe-939a-e93cc9c727ab">Re: Reception at Camp Mary Orton?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the input! Unfortunately the date is set in stone, it has to be in the summer since I'm attending OSU's vet school and our break is June-Aug. Also, everything else is booked for that day! We were planning on using the church for our reception but it ended up being too small so now we are looking at other options. We're going to check out the lodge this Sunday and discuss using AC units then. It's perfect if it wasn't for the heat!

Hi I know it's been a while but I was wondering what you ended up doing? I too am looking at Camp Mary Orton for a wedding next July and am worried about the heat. Thanks for any info!!
  • Hello!
      We currently are looking at Campy Mary Orton for July and was wondering if they allowed AC units and if they kept your guests cool. I would love to hear how your special day turned out!

Thanks!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_reception-camp-mary-orton?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:d7fdf33e-060a-4d4a-a9de-c766ba796ec4Post:3667e16f-9e88-4535-9380-9763f3f7ba61">Re: Reception at Camp Mary Orton?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a wedding on my birthday several years ago (it's July 27th :)  and I will FOREVER remember the fact that the church did not have any air conditioning. It was absolutely miserable and all I could think about was how badly I wanted it to be over so we could get out of there. I sweated through my dress, my make-up sweated off and I felt sick, it was seriously 100 degrees in there. The poor bride was swaying at the alter and I'm sure it wasn't because of the nerves. I think everyone was nervous she was going to pass out, I can't imagine how hot she had to be in that dress.That is not how you want your guests, or you, to feel on your wedding day. Great idea on the a/c units, although the venue might try to charge you more since you are putting a decent dent in their electricity. And, depending on how high the ceiling is in the lodge it might not even help. It might be worth considering a different date f that is the place you really want to have your wedding. 
    Posted by KellyRVT[/QUOTE]
  • hansen207hansen207 member
    edited March 2013
    Did you end up having your reception here? We are looking at an october date here for the ceremony and reception! Is there rooms to get changed in. Is there more of an out door setting?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards