New York-New York City
Options

Which Sunday in November?

I was able to get my "dream" venue in Manhattan to drop its price for certain Sundays in November. 

1. the first sunday (which is also the day of the NYC marathon and therefore it may be difficult for out of town guests to find hotels and get around the city).

2. the sunday before thanksgiving.

3. the sunday after thanksgiving. 

Out of the three options, I leaning towards the sunday before thanksgiving. 

thoughts/comments?

Re: Which Sunday in November?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the Sunday before.  The Sunday after Tday, many folks may be out of town; and being in the City on marathon day would not be fun for a guest.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sunday before is the only one of those days that I'd do.
  • Options
    alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the first weekend in November because the marathon will only be an issue if you wedding is early in the day. The marathon is over by about noon I think.

Also, depends on the location of your venue, may not have any impact at all. What neighborhood is your venue in?

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote for the marathon day - asking people to travel so close to thanksgiving may prevent them from traveling to spend the holiday with family. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you ladies!  the ceremony will be in downtown brooklyn and the reception will be in downtown manhattan.  i am more worried about the hotels for the out of town guests (and myself) that weekend rather than the marathon itself. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AVOID marathon Sunday like the plague!  Hotels are not taking any guaranteed blocks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As a former NYC resident and a two time NYC Marathon runner, I would definitely avoid Marathon Sunday!  In addition to the road closures and hotel difficulties, there will be additional 30,000 or so people in the city running the race.  If your venue is anywhere near the race course there will be street barricades and crowds of spectators.  Also, it might be harder to book a rehearsal dinner the night before (forget any places that features pasta LOL!) I would avoid this if at all possible--too much additional stress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you for the input ladies! 
  • Options
    MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but don't do a late night wedding!  Most people will NOT be able to take off that Monday because of the already-shortened week, and so you'll end up with people leaving well before the wedding is over.  I think this is true for Sunday night whenever - I just went to a wedding on a Sunday night that I was having a blast at...but I had to leave immediately after cake cutting because I needed to go to work the next day :-(
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    cre2411cre2411 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Avoid marathon Sunday.
    In addition to hotels being an issue the traffic could cause you and your guests major stress. There are so many road closures and detours. You don't want to have to think about any of that on your special day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards