Students

Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?

Hey ladies!

I hope wedding planning and classes are going well for you!

Is anyone else about to graduate and applying for jobs? Graduation is in 33 days (yay!) and I just sent my first round of applications in yesterday. As excited as I am about being done with school (until I go back for my PhD anyways) I'm a little nervous about getting a "big girl job." Anyone else there with me?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary
Dx PCOS November 2010
Follow Me on Pinterest
VOTE on my Name List

Re: Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?

• Completely! I'm so excited, because I'm sick of being in college honestly.. But at the same time finding a job is a job in itself. I've done preliminary interviewing with a company and sent in a couple applications but I feel like I am SO behind.. ughhh

Hope you hear back for interviews from some of those first round aps! 
    PersonalMilestone
  • I"m so scared.  There are no jobs in the legal field right now (big law isn't hiring and so on).  I have to pass the bar and then try again.  Its horrifying, I wish I wasn't graduating. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_graduation-anyone-else-feeling-anxious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:421b1a29-8fe2-440e-a773-0bfe2f3c6199Post:96a068d7-3b37-4c5b-841b-fd048b60f983">Re: Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I"m so scared.  There are no jobs in the legal field right now (big law isn't hiring and so on).  I have to pass the bar and then try again.  Its horrifying, I wish I wasn't graduating. 
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

<div>Yikes! This is no bueno. I'm looking into being a paralegal, so this concerns me! I won't be graduating til December though, and then have to get my certification, so I won't actually be looking til maybe late 2012/early 2013. Maybe it will be better by then. </div><div>
    </div><div>GL!</div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Im not graduating yet but a lot of my friends from school are. Its scary knowing what they're facing and I hope in December things look up!

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!!!
  • I refuse to enter the real world.  I'm starting a masters program in the fall.

But graduation is freaking me out anyways.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you for sharing your stories ladies!

Sarah - I hope you hear back from someone!

Katy - I totally understand. I'm going into education and they are making such large cuts everywhere that the job market is really uncertain. Especially for someone who is not a teacher. Districts don't always value their school counselors so I may not have a job if they keep cutting the budgets. 

Peekaboo- I just finished my Master's so I am being forced into the real world =(
    Anniversary
    Dx PCOS November 2010
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    VOTE on my Name List
  • As much as I would love to apply for a job that actually pertains to my Masters, I'm probably going to hold off until after the wedding. The wedding and honeymoon will require a lot of time off that I've been saving up, and starting somewhere new might not give me that same leniency. Luckily the job I have now is really stable and will help me with the loan bills (which are looming like a horrile black cloud).
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicVacation
  • Yeah, I just cried a little bit.

The job market is horrible right now, but especially in education, and especially especially in PA where our governor has cut education by over 1 billion dollars.  FI and I are both going into education and we need jobs to pay off those outrageous student loans that we have racked up...  

Maybe I should've just skipped the whole college thing and become a sanitation worker...they probably make more than I will as a teacher anyway!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, considering I'm going on to seminary, graduation isn't too scary. What IS scary is the amount of work I have to get done before graduation. Ugggggh.
  • eks36eks36 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_graduation-anyone-else-feeling-anxious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:421b1a29-8fe2-440e-a773-0bfe2f3c6199Post:1aa4bd8d-28e9-4be8-a5f2-577b94235c51">Re: Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I just cried a little bit. The job market is horrible right now, but especially in education, and especially especially in PA where our governor has cut education by over 1 billion dollars.  FI and I are both going into education and we need jobs to pay off those outrageous student loans that we have racked up...   Maybe I should've just skipped the whole college thing and become a sanitation worker...they probably make more than I will as a teacher anyway!
    Posted by jferlenda[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, as an art history student, I frequently ask myself why I didn't go to med school. Granted, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much, but there are way more jobs in medicine than there are in museums. Even in PA--I would know, I looked for arts jobs in PA today and every search brought up "state-of-the-art" medical equipment, lol.</div><div>
    </div><div>I've been applying like crazy and have a bunch of other applications to finish. Started mid- to late March on this and will probably still be applying around the time of my wedding in September. It's scary! FI finishes his program over the summer, so there's a possibility that we'll both be unemployed when we graduate. I'm terrified that we'll be stuck with nowhere to live (or to have to live with one of our sets of parents) at that time.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm anxious already and I don't graduate until May 2013...and then have to get into grad school/internships after that! LOL  Just keep crossing my fingers and hoping I (a) make it that far and (b) like the choice I've made as far as my career. 
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm right up there as well with that! I'm newly engaged by my fiancé and I are looking for a place, trying to figure out a budget, I'm looking for a teaching job (an ART position in NY....) and planning my graduation. It's so hard to try to save for anything when the state is charging me 80 bucks a test and 100 to get fingerprinted. A lot of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back happening in my world right now. So believe me you are not alone in the anxiety!
    The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. That's what I hope to give you forever.
  • Im having small panic attacks daily.

Im in education. Worse, im in MUSIC education. There have actually been tons of openings in my area, which im so thankful for... but im so sick of sending applications and interviewing and waiting... and waiting...
    Im not MVP of the waiting game- and I find out about all the jobs ive interviewed for next week... during my Spring Break.

My hearts pounding just typing about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_graduation-anyone-else-feeling-anxious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:421b1a29-8fe2-440e-a773-0bfe2f3c6199Post:738c33c2-7096-4d81-a721-42e20f009859">Re: Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im having small panic attacks daily. Im in education. Worse, im in MUSIC education. There have actually been tons of openings in my area, which im so thankful for... but im so sick of sending applications and interviewing and waiting... and waiting... Im not MVP of the waiting game- and I find out about all the jobs ive interviewed for next week... during my Spring Break. My hearts pounding just typing about it.
    Posted by futuremrscoachj[/QUOTE]

<div>I hope you get some good news next week! I'm sending good vibes your way. I am terrible when it comes to waiting and patience. My Fi is waiting to hear about the job he really wants (he will find out next week also) and the anticipation is just killing me lol</div>
    Anniversary
    Dx PCOS November 2010
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    VOTE on my Name List
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_graduation-anyone-else-feeling-anxious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:421b1a29-8fe2-440e-a773-0bfe2f3c6199Post:738c33c2-7096-4d81-a721-42e20f009859">Re: Graduation: Anyone else feeling anxious?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im having small panic attacks daily. Im in education. Worse, im in MUSIC education. There have actually been tons of openings in my area, which im so thankful for... but im so sick of sending applications and interviewing and waiting... and waiting... Im not MVP of the waiting game- and I find out about all the jobs ive interviewed for next week... during my Spring Break. My hearts pounding just typing about it.
    Posted by futuremrscoachj[/QUOTE]

I'm in music ed too.  This seems like the worst time for us to graduate.  Hope all goes well for you!--it sounds like you've got things lined up, so I'm sure you'll be fine!

• I don't want to graduate yet either, and this semester has flown by. I'm freaking out about studying for/passing the bar exam. And I currently have a paper due that seems to be an uphill battle - I don't know what is wrong with me but I have major writer's block. 

KatyRose - best of luck to you in finding a job. My fiancé and I are also 3Ls and he is looking for a job as well. It's so stressful.
  • Thanks, Tiff and Music! The cheerleading coach at the school is the mom of one of my FI's baseball players and he talked to her two days ago and she asked if I had any interest in coaching cheerleading. (I def do!) He told her I did and she said "well, im really good friends with the principal and he is stressing about finding another coach before tryouts, so let me talk to him and that should give her some points!" She emailed me last night and said that every person she talked to in my interview committee said they were extremely impressed and that she would have to call me about more details becuase it cant me on email record :) Settles my heart a bit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's great!  It sounds like you've got a big in.  Hopefully you'll get the job, and then you can enjoy your summer without worrying :)

• Fi and I talked about getting an LLM, just to avoid the market for another year.  In the end it isn't worth it, but I so don't want to be in the real world again. 
  • Graduating, getting married and moving completely across the country, yes, completely freaking out.  Oh and I went for a degree I thought was "safe", yup, don't even know if I want to continue with engineering anymore, and I'm less than a month and two classes away....
  • Yup I'm right there with everyone else!! I graduate in 29 days and counting and I don't feel like I ready to grow up and be a "big girl nurse" yet. lol. And I'm trying to apply for jobs and a lot of them require at least a year of expereince which of course I don't have because I;m just graduating Yell. I'm hoping something turns up soon. I'm feeling the pressure of the education side too, FI graduates in Dec with a secondary education biology degree and they just made cuts to the education budget.

June2012 Siggy for March:Honeymoon in Panama City Beach
    image 288 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 34 Will be missing out!
    image 206 Are MIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Yes I am very nervous about getting a job.  I am less than a month away from graduating with my BA in Marketing.  I have had several interviews, but no job offers.  I was encouraged that I am getting picked for interviews, now I am over that and want a job haha. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know the feeling.  I'm graduating in summer, and in my field (political science academia), there aren't a lot of jobs available, especially with states like Ohio cutting or freezing funding to higher education.  I'm also not in a position to move right now because my FI is a caregiver to his ill grandmother.  He says he could move, but I really don't want to put him in that position.

I'm looking at non-academic jobs, but it kind of sucks because although I have the qualifications necessary for jobs in stuff like marketing and statistical research, employers don't seem to know what to do with someone earning a PhD...suck :-(.
  • I have a year left before I get my elementary teaching degree, and I have recently begun to worry that the degree is going to end up being a waste of my time. I got married the first time basically right out of high school (I was 20 when I got married), and had my first child on my 21st birthday, and I was 23 when I had my second. I didn't go back to school until after the divorce, and after I was 30, so I will be 35 when I graduate with a degree in a field where there are no jobs because the government keeps slashing the funding.

Sorry for the rant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards