Rhode Island

having a military wedding....help!

my fiance is a marine, we recently moved to PA to move closer to his base, so we are living in pa but getting married in RI anyone have any ideas to help me plan our wedding??

Re: having a military wedding....help!

• edited December 2011
    My husband is in the Army, we are stationed in Texas, and we are having our big wedding in RI next summer.  I always make sure that when I am home I plan a weekend full of meetings with vendors and I just try to stay very organized.  I have only been home twice since I moved here in August and I have booked my venue, my photographer, my linens, and boguht my dress.  So my biggest advice to you is stay organized and frequent these boards everyone here is very helpful,  Good luck with the planning!
  • edited December 2011
    thank you! are you doing a military themed wedding??
  • edited December 2011
    My man is a Marine, too.  And we plan on getting married in RI, my home state.  Distance planning can be a pain, huh?

I'm happy to help with any suggestions - have you checked out the Newport Officer's Club?  It's got a fantastic view and is much cheaper than other Newport venues - only military officers can have their reception there.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not doing a military themed wedding because we are planning the wedding after his contract is up with the Army.  We had a JOP ceremony back in November and he wore his Class A's and I wore an ivory cocktail dress.  I am having my wedding in Newport right on the water so I am going with a nautical theme.
  • edited December 2011
    when are your weddings?? and our home state is RI too! i really didnt think there would be other people doing Marine weddings in RI. im glad im not the only one planning a Military wedding. every where i look there is no idea's for military weddings. 

were doing the sword detail thing, our colors are dark navy blue, with white and small red details. my bridesmaids dresses are navy blue with a red sash to match the blood strips because the grooms men are wearing their dress blues. im still trying to figure out cute centerpieces. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not engaged yet, but because of our time constraints between him finishing up law school in May 2012, taking the Bar exam in July 2012, and then getting his orders to go to TBS sometime that fall (he just completed OCS last summer) we know exactly when we'll be getting married and have already talked a lot about it.  Plus I'm a neurotic planner, so it's better to get an early start!

I like how the arch of swords thing looks visually, but you are prepared for them to smack you on the butt with the sword and say, "Welcome to the Marines, ma'am"?  Because that's where I draw the line.

My guy isn't completely sure if he'll be wearing his Dress Blues or a suit - we'll figure that out as we get closer.  But this is what we have figured out so far - we're getting married August 10th or 17th, 2012, the location will be by the water, the ceremony and reception will take place at the same site, the colors will be pink and blue, and we're having an ice cream sundae bar for dessert.

• edited December 2011
    i really like the idea of the sundae bar, i think were going to do cup cakes. because of both of our families being so big and having lots of very close friends we have decided to have our ceremony in the afternoon then directly after have a hors d'oeuvres and champagne punch then we will have a hour break or so and then later on have a reception somewhere with close family and close friends to cut down our numbers because we are paying for most of it ourselves. also we did an age limit to cut down t because theres way too many young kids and that actually was what put our first guest list so high. we are getting married next year on may 28th and im going home in june to hopefully get the venue squared away.
  • edited December 2011
    Don't mention that whole bit about a later reception around these boards - you'll get absolutely roasted for a 'tiered reception'.  Essentially, what people will say is host what you can for everyone you invite - if you can't do it for everyone, don't do it.  To some extent I agree, and I like the idea of having an hor d'oeurve champagne punch reception after the ceremony.  Just be careful how you phrase things so you don't end up accidentally insulting people with that "reception" - maybe call it a "family dinner" instead of a "reception"?
  • edited December 2011
    I too am having a military wedding. My fiance is a Marine. We first set a date for 10-10-10 but then orders came that his squardron was deploying to Afganstain. So, we have postponed until February when he comes home. In advice with the sword arc, make sure your man has enough guys to make each side even. It looks weird if you have an odd number. We are doing little military details, not many though.....cocktail napkins with a sword detail image on them, the Marines whom are attending will be getting custom challenge coins.......

Good luck ladies and welcome to like club of military wives we are just as strong if not stronger than our men!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards