Honeymoon Discussions

Are you including your honeymoon in your wedding costs?

Bonus point- the honeymoon we're looking at costs over double the budget of our wedding. I can't decide if this is ridiculous or not. I mean a wedding is only one day, a honeymoon is 7.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: Are you including your honeymoon in your wedding costs?

• We have wedding day costs and honeymoon costs.  They're both coming from the same saving account, but we are separating them in terms of final costs.

• I've been married twice. My honeymoon came out of a totally different pot of money because my parents paid for about 75% of my wedding and I paid mainly for the honeymoon, along with some other minor things. Still, I ended up paying tens of thousands. I did treat it as two separate things, though. This time, I didn't get any money from my parents (gee, I wonder why? LOL) and had a destination wedding, so everything came out of the same bucket. I ended up paying around the same amount out of pocket as I did last time, which ended up being just a coincidence. I didn't really have a budget per se either time, but since it was a honeymoon and wedding all in one, I talk of it as all one "budget" and all one cost.

• We're doing it separately because my parents are paying for the wedding, and I'm paying for the honeymoon... but most wedding cost calculators (you know, the ones that say the averages cost of an american wedding is X dollars) count everything from the engagement ring until the end of the honeymoon as the cost to get married.  I feel like that's rather accurate, since the only thing you absolutely need is a marriage license, an officient, and a witness or two... The rest is fluff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We paid for everything...and decided what we could afford. So, yes, everything was ultimately combined. A honeymoon is really just a vacation with a fancy name...if you can afford it, go for it.

• My parents are paying for the wedding and we're paying for the HM. I say if you have the money and your FI is fine with it, why not?
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Me, my parents and ILs even, contributed to wedding; H saved and paid for HM. 

Eta:  Our HM was 7nights/8days and cost about 20% the amount of our wedding
  • who cares if it's ridiculous or not? if it's what you want to do then do it!!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_are-you-including-your-honeymoon-in-your-wedding-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e37e868f-9b8c-4327-945e-f9702ebe0d76Post:e19fb3dc-5d53-402b-a166-25179adc8e04">Re: Are you including your honeymoon in your wedding costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]who cares if it's ridiculous or not? if it's what you want to do then do it!!!!
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

THIS! I was multitasking earlier when i replied, but I should have noted that the actual wedding (photographer, paperwork, flowers, cake, not including rings) portion of what we just spent on our DW was 26%. So, that leaves Almost 75% on travel!

• Our HM costed about 65% of what our wedding costed.  We paid for the HM, my parents paid for the wedding.  I wouldn't normally spend as much as I did on a vacation, but it was everything we ever wanted from a HM, so I thought it was worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • We had a larger honeymoon budget then our wedding cost. Our wedding was about 6k but our honeymoon was probably around 8k. Our honeymoon was much more important to us in terms of spending money.

• We had 2 completely different budgets for wedding/reception and honeymoon.  Our honeymoon was about 40% - 50% the cost of our wedding and reception. 

I don't think there is a prescribed formula, nor should there be.  Everyone has different priorities, tastes and goals.  As long as the two of you can afford it all without going into debt -- go for it!  Enjoy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards