Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Booking Reception

Hello! How far in advance do you suggest I book my wedding reception? We are thinking CBI Boathouse or Wequasset (not sure which room) and possibly Ocean Edge....We would like to get married in summer 2011.....Just wondering how quickly the dates get booked up and if I should be booking now. Thanks!!

Re: Booking Reception

• edited December 2011
    I can't speak for those venues in particular, but we booked our venue 11 months in advance.  Our wedding is in April, so it's off-season, so most places we looked at were available for our date, but I'd imagine that during high season venues book quicker than that.

It can't hurt to call each of the places you're interested in and ask them how far in advance is wise.  But I'd say you wouldn't be crazy if you booked now.  If anything, it'd be one less thing to worry about!

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    we also booked 11mos in advance, but for a mid-May wedding. We were told that things were slow to book last spring (2009) for spring/summer 2010, possibly b/c of the economy. but if you know where you want to book, it can't hurt to book early - once you have the venue secure, you can start planning other things.
  • edited December 2011
    I would say its not too early. I looked at Ocean Edge in November and was asking about Sept/Oct 2010 weddings, and I know the mansion ballroom was already booked for every Saturday in that time frame. BUT, they have a bunch of other venues, like the Bayside Pavillion, that still had plenty of availability at the time. Personally, I know a lot of other things started falling in place once I booked the venue so there is another reason to book early. Plus you will then get first pick of vendors if you set your date early!
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely not too early, at least for CBI.  To give you an idea, we got married September 2008.  We started looking around June 2007 and many dates during the summer/early fall of 2008 were already booked.  Not sure what it's like for other venues, but I would guess it's pretty similar.
  • edited December 2011

I booked in October for a sept 2011 wedding dates were already booked!

• edited December 2011
    We booked the Wequassett one year in advance (and that was for mid May).  But I remember when I called CBI for pricing, they told me they only had one Sat. in June left.  I highly recommend booking your venue as soon as possible.  BUT make sure you are very confident on your guest list number as that determines which space at which venue is the right one for you.  For ex, you wouldn't want to book the terrace ballroom at the Wequassett, then end up only having a 75 guest wedding.   good luck with your selection - those are all wonderful spots.
  • love2naplove2nap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm planning a summer 2011 wedding as well, and I say the earlier the better :) I haven't booked my place yet, (hopefully really soon!) but I noticed that some dates are already booked, and some dates are on hold by brides. I don't think you need to rush and book asap, but I think it's a good idea to book soon, especially if your particular about dates and places. Good luck!

• carolyns4882carolyns4882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Def start looking now. We booked out wedding a year out and are getting married this June at the Wequassett. A lot of Saturday nights were taken already. We played around with a few dates to make it work! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I would book now for the reasons PPs mentioned. To add to this - if you are looking at some of the more high end or popular vendors you may want to look into them as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I booked my October 2010 wedding at Ocean Edge in October 2008. We were orginally looking for Oct 2009 but all the Saturdays were already booked. It is definitley not too early. As pp said, you can start booking other things once you have a date and venue set in stone.

Good Luck!
  • ARez726ARez726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely not too early!!  I booked my June 2010 wedding venues in November 2008!  Probably a little excessively early...but they were very big things I could cross off the very long list of things to do!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We booked the Captain Linnell House 12 months out.  Love the location and looking forward to the food!  We've eaten at the restaurant twice now, and it's become our favorite place to eat.  Shelly and BIll own and run the Captain Linnell House - an old sea captains home built for his bride in the 1930's.  Shelly runs the restaurant and functions and Bill is the chef.  Not your typical rubber chicken!! We had a tough time deciding on what to choose for our meal.  There's a gazebo on the grounds and beautiful gardens, or short walk to Skaket Beach.  Only one function per day and Shelly is just like having a wedding coordinator with no additional fees! 

Highly recommend the location! 
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! My Planning Bio "http://lisa-rj.weebly.com"
  • CaitlinB516CaitlinB516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked The Willowbend in June 09 for our September 10 wedding. We had some options but many Saturdays were already booked. I would start as early as possible! Also, book the ceremony (if off site) just as early because we almost ran into a problem where the church was already booked for our day. GL
    September 25, 2010!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards