Hawaii

Dress on a plane?

Hi ladies,
 I'm leaving saturday and I called the airline and they said there was no possible way to hang my dress up (I expected them to say that). How did you do it, should I just fold it up and stuff it in the overhead? I must add that my dress is pretty poufy and not quite a destination style dress (something that I will probably regret later) haha 
Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dress on a plane?

• edited December 2011
    I've heard girls just store it above the luggage in the overhead. Ive also seen little closet where a flight attendant had hung up something for someone. Maybe you can ask when you get into the plane. It's like a little broom closet...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a big poofy ballgown too, but did something totally counter-intuitive...  My tailor advised me to pack up the entire gown as tightly as possible (along with undergarments, veil, shoes, etc.) into a carry-on luggage.  We folded the entire thing into a tiny bundle and stuffed it into my carry-on suitcase!

Once we arrived in Hawaii, I had the dress steamed and it turned out perfect.  Not to mention having everything inside a carry-on avoided so much hassle on the plane...it was very convenient and well-protected.

I wouldn't recommend this, if you have a couture gown (i.e. Vera Wang).  I had a Maggie Sottero gown and apparently those are sent from warehouse to bridal shop all bundled up (even smaller than what we did) in the first place.  My bridal store manager showed me some newly arrived gowns....and they were all bundled into tiny packages!  As long as you get them well-steamed upon arrival, it shouldn't be a problem...  HTH!!  :)

• breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fabutan-- I can't remember, you were on Maui right? Where did you get it steamed?
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    My friend went to Cuba and the airlines couldn't hang hers once she got to the airport.  She laid it flat in the over head in the dress bag, and as soon as the rest of the plane found out it was her wedding dress, they all banded together to keep all other luggage out of that compartment so it wouldn't get squished.  It's was pouffier too.  Might work out like that

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    P.S.  How to fold the gown into a carry-on.... 

I was instructed to turn the dress inside-out first (protects any beading and details on the dress).  Then I folded the entire dress longitudinally into thirds (along with the train), and then folded the other direction (across) until it reached the size of my carry-on suitcase.  I then stuffed my veil, undergarments, second reception dress, etc. inside, so everything was in one place.

I wrapped the entire bundle inside the garment cover that it originally came in (for extra protection).  My tailor even tied the whole entire thing up with string to keep it in place (optional).

I actually felt better about it all being in a carry-on suitcase...it was better protected that way (no need to worry about snagging or someone's overhead luggage squishing it).  Sorry that was long....  HTH!!  :)

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for the tutorial fabutan! I really think my dress would be so annoying to carry, im really short (not quite 5ft) and my garmet bag from the bridal shop is ginormous! I'm totally wanna make it fit in a roll on carry on!
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    breaness - yup, I was a Maui bride.  :)  

I had my dress, veil, reception dress, and FI's suit steamed by Vanessa Thompson (Silver Stitch).  She works out of her home in Luana Kai Condos (on S. Kihei Rd - easy to miss it!).  Her phone number is 808-879-0439 (no e-mail).  

Call Vanessa maybe a couple days or one week in advance to book an appointment.  Try to pick up your dress at the last moment possible (i.e. day before the wedding), so the dress doesn't get wrinkled and looks in tip-top shape.

Vanessa offers probably the best prices on Maui for dress steaming.  She works out of her home, but she sure knows her stuff!  (She gave me so many tips about how to wear my dress - it sounded like a science, LOL!)  She's also unbelievably nice.  :)

One tip...Vanessa offers different pricing if services are booked via a wedding coordinator.  The coordinator usually adds a service charge on top (i.e. the standard 20%).  Maybe check with your coordinator whether she/he works with Vanessa?  Or check with Vanessa how much she would charge if booked directly...  In our case, we found booking via our coordinator resulted in SUBSTANTIAL savings...it was crazy/unbelievably cheap...  I can dig up the prices, but I'm sure referral rates differ according to agreements she has worked out with different coordinators.  HTH!!  :)

• fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sparklegirl - you're very welcome!  :)  
    I'm 5ft also, so it would've been a pain carrying my heavy satin dress around (can't imagine it!)....would've felt like carrying a dead body, LOL!  Plus I would've dropped it a million times.  It was soooooo convenient just wheeling it around!  :)

• edited December 2011
    I bustled my dress, tied ribbons at various places around the skirt to make it smaller, put a plastic dress bag over the dress, put it in the garment bag and zipped it up, then folded the garment bag over and literally sat on it to get all the excess air out - it really did make it flatter and smaller.  

Also, even though the airline said there was no way they could hang it up that's crap - the only people that can actually tell you if it can't be hung up are the flight attendents on your flight bc they know how much space they have at that moment, until then it's speculation. 

I told the gate attendent I had my dress and then told the flight attendents who were super cool about putting my dress in the first class coat closet - there was another bride on my flight with her dress and they accommodated both of our dresses. Not to mention that was just my short flight to get to my connecting flight, the actual plane to Maui had a massive coat closet up front and the flight attendents hung my dress up and let it down so my dress could breath.  

I think the flight attendents on Maui flights are used to having brides with dresses so hopefully they'll be willing to help you out!  Good luck and congratulations! :)

IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've got the same problem with my dress, it has a skirt of pleated silk (similar to the famous white Marilyn Monroe dress) and need to have it steamed once I get to Waikiki (we leave in 4 days - omg exciting!).

Can anyone recommend anywhere good in Waikiki?  My dress designer has given very specific instructions on how it needs to be steamed but I would prefer to go with someone everyone recommends.

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    edited December 2011
    Well, I leave on Friday and I am taking my dress on the plane with me no matter what.  If they say they can't hang it, we will do the overhead.  Luckily we have 11 members of my family all sitting together on the plane so if need be, we will take over an overhead for my dress.  There is just no way I am checking that baby! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_dress-plane-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f2ad3f2b-aa50-469d-9c13-ae2e92f4a487Post:6e03f1e9-b472-4c0e-8009-6a35cd1cbe71">Re: Dress on a plane?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, even though the airline said there was no way they could hang it up that's crap - the only people that can actually tell you if it can't be hung up are the flight attendents on your flight bc they know how much space they have at that moment, until then it's speculation. 
    Posted by suwannee79[/QUOTE]

<div>Agreed!!  :)  My dress was stuffed in a carry-on case, but FI had no problems with getting the flight attendant to hang his suit in the first class coat closet.  There was only one exception with our interisland flight to Kauai (but that's because the plane was tiny).</div><div>
    </div>
  • madstaylormadstaylor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got back on Sunday and I carried mine on on the way there and back. They were really good, I flew United. On the small plane from IL to CO they kept it in the flight attendants closet. On the large flight from CO to HI they put it in the first class closet. It was my only carry on but it wasnt terrible to carry. Im short also (5'1) and my dress has a huge train, i folded the garment bag in half and carried it that way. It also got us bumped up a class on one flight and free alcohol on the plane lol.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    The flight attendent immediately took my dress and hung it for me in one of the closets.  I had no wrinkling problems.I'd ask for them to hang it up for you if they don't offer.  I also packed my dress in a box and mailed it back.  I didn't want to lug around when we were going home.  It's still in the box 3 months later. :-(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_dress-plane-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f2ad3f2b-aa50-469d-9c13-ae2e92f4a487Post:f8203f44-f540-4e0e-9594-6dc4142d0e52">Re: Dress on a plane?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also packed my dress in a box and mailed it back.  I didn't want to lug around when we were going home.  It's still in the box 3 months later. :-(
    Posted by ninja500[/QUOTE]
    LOL mine was in a checked suitcase, and yep, still in there 3 months later!
  • BeardGonsalezBeardGonsalez member
    edited December 2011
    I bought a carry on size garment bag, hard case. Dress came out wrinkle free
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards